Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you remember high school, earth science class? Remember the water cycle? Evaporation, condenses as rain, falls to earth, absorbed into the soil or back into lakes and oceans? Even raw sewage gets filtered and returned to the water supply. They say we need to conserve water, but why? Where does it go? How much is so polluted that it can never be used again? We have water saving toilets that ou have to flush 3 times to get the turds down. How much water does that save? We have water saving shower heads that you have to stand under for a half hour to get wet. How much water does that save? I think we have all been brainwashed in the last few years.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
How many of you remember high school, earth science class? Remember the water cycle? Evaporation, condenses as rain, falls to earth, absorbed into the soil or back into lakes and oceans? Even raw sewage gets filtered and returned to the water supply. They say we need to conserve water, but why? Where does it go? How much is so polluted that it can never be used again? We have water saving toilets that ou have to flush 3 times to get the turds down. How much water does that save? We have water saving shower heads that you have to stand under for a half hour to get wet. How much water does that save? I think we have all been brainwashed in the last few years.
The Safe Water Conservation Act of 1996 that mandated 1.6 GPF toilets and 2.0 GPM aerators was enacted because of two states out of the fifty, Hawaii and New Jersey, and part of the state of California, have no source of fresh water.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Utah Mark has alot to say on the topic from experience.

It has something to do with what Killer just said, plus the cost of treatment...I think.

·
Banned
913 Posts
There is the same amount of water on earth as there always was. Fresh water is the biggest concern. As the population grows and more water is used per person, it creates a shortage. Last summer there was a water shortage in a small town in GA I believe. It got to the point the residents could only use water during a 2 hour period each day. The rest of the time the water was turned off. Several manufacturers donated 1.6 gpf toilets, water saving devices etc. and the town turned around. The full report is somewhere floating out there on the Internet.

The low flush toilets of today work better than the first 1.6 GPF toilets. Cadet III and Toto Drake - one flush and your done!

What I find funny is a manufacturer who talks "Green" and sells shower systems with 10 body sprays ?!?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Here, most yards are flood irrigated. The farmers use huge sprinkers to water their crops. That water is primarily from the natural aquifer that supplies our water. The more farms, the more fields, the more water use.

When you see wells drying up you know there's a problem. Some years are worse than others.

That said, it's hard to understand why we need to use 1.6 gallon toilets while putting a foot of water on the lawn.

And my 1.6 Toto flushes better than any six or eight gallon toilet I've ever seen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts