Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it goes, but I recently had a "Closing the Chapter" with a customer recently that started off friendly, comical and undercharging for my time the entire way.

It was a spawning of a simple friendship but realistically I was giving more of my time than I should, just to have the ability to break the monotony of another customer, another plumbing problem.

It's like I hand picked this particular customer to be friends with, but what happened was it got to a point where too many things went wrong, too many times.

I'm not at any will to give details, other than we see from two entirely different points of views. Claws came out, accusations made that I felt were below the line in consideration because "keeping count" got taken to a new level this evening.

Customer is very upset, I said my peace and I'm leaving it learning that I should not be friends, or even assume the position as it can turn ugly sometimes. Of course, this is a "select" situation and if you all heard what brought the cards tumbling down, you'd laugh as hard as I did.

But hey, to each their own in what they feel is best for them and how they want to get to that. I wrote a return fire email that I knew was putting in hard terms that you won't change me, and supporting my opinion by not defaulting to the conversation as I was wrong, warranted my dismissal by this couple.

Good. If you knew the tiring process, you'd understand that I'm dealing with something more than the average. I'm writing this like they might someday read this, and I want to be fair to both sides, but when everything has to be so ****ing dramatic on a he said/she said situation, there's something more to the story folks, it's just not me.

I just didn't have the balls to put it out there that this "being" was something I was entertaining as "well, some people are just like this" attitude.

But, this is something I never done before as nice gesture in each and every time I worked for them, >>>> "Pay whatever you want" "Whatever you want to pay, I'm fine with it" I was consistent, and even though I made some mistakes along the way,

I was held accountable for them tonight, as they were reminded to me. Everything this friendship was based on, was a figment of imagination that I should think for a minute that every single statement, every single word I mentioned would come back and used for "Oh yeah? Well you did this, or did that!"

I got reprimanded for selling the customer an upgrade of getting away from direct Copper FIP's to Galvanized Dielectric Nipples, and upgrading to 3/4" Dielectric unions connecting that copper piping to the water heater.
For those of you who'll defend a straight copper to galvanized connection on a water heater, just because it's a dielectric nipple, don't piss on my shoes and tell me it's raining when you see countless connections such as these and almost ALWAYS; that thin line of water between the top of the dielectric nipple and the copper FIP causes corrosion and gets significantly worse as time goes on. And this fellow uses the fact that two plumbers suggested that it wasn't necessary? Pffft! I don't want copper connected to galvanized, PERIOD. Also, I can replace a water heater quite a bit faster on a dielectric installation. I was putting in an Expansion Tank that the first plumber didn't. So I was a hero to the cause until I F'd up putting in something that warranted the ability for me to get a tee in, and keeps copper from corroding the tip of that dielectric nipple?

I had two fixed positions, tight space, wasn't going to sweat a FIP right onto the dielectric nipple as it ruins the innards of them when you solder the top. and heat sink creates.

I'm the evil one for not calling between an allotted time of 3 and 4, instead I called at 6 and literally destroyed two lives as a result. Expecting forgiveness wasn't in the plans, especially knowing it would come back to haunt me.

You might be getting bored reading this as much as I am typing this, but I love the fact I got the boot today...I really do. A faucet that was bought not by me was installed by me, and the handle was 1/8" off in the forward position. It was product defect, I didn't make the faucet, I just install them. I didn't mention this to the customer this day given everything that gets blown out of control with "overthinking" and I just wanted to tippy-toe away into la-la land, knowing it's going to be hours of fun and discussion, tons of traded emails of what where why how and when and do you know where I stand in the end of all this?

The guy going back and replacing the faucet at no charge, just because I really like this fellow and his wife. They made me something to eat for me and my dad last week and it was greatly appreciated, but that too was thrown in my face along with the value of a thank you. I rubbed someone the wrong way because I was trying to get 2 values for one bad situation, and he felt I was crossing a moral ground I shouldn't. Am I moral? Did I join this site stating for the record that I have morals? No...so don't expect me to be holier than thou. It's not going to happen.

The reason for the double try was to get a justification to get paid for the second install, sacrifice a sampling of my time because I liked this couple and was willing to do opposite of what I normally do; charge for the mistake that had nothing to do with me. That's a fact jack. Everything I worked on in their home had to do with product reliability issues. Very unfair to him and his wife, and I was sticking up for them more than others.

But, I was told I write myself as the hero of my own stories, I do no wrong and I ignore all my inadequacies, even though I let this couple write their own amounts to the checks, gave more of my time than I spent, went above and beyond to make sure I gave them my best.

My best wasn't good enough, I feel that I should line back into the herd and not have a heart in this business, charge for what big business has cost them money and not give one care in the world as to how much money they waste when products in unreasonable terms, fail.

I'm guilty of caring too much,
I'm guilty of trying friendship with work relationship,
I'm guilty of BSing during work, extending my time on the job *main reason I let them choose the pricing, since we acted on friendship deal*
I'm guilty of valuing my opinion and standing by it, not flinching for a minute,
I'm guilty of trying to hard to get someone a free faucet, and one installed for free with me getting paid twice, because I actually am installing the faucet twice, 3 visits to the home, No LIES.

This customer has a free faucet coming to his home in the next couple days as a result of my "pull". I was going to put it in at no cost since this handle is slightly to the right, not more than an 1/8". Kinda nice for a company to send out $200 worth of product on my word, ain't it?

The "look" of this faucet was so minor, but I should of known it was coming. As reference to the last few encounters in the name of plumbing with all this, I knew it was coming, and it did.

Being relieved is almost a pay raise because it's over. I don't have to fall for the idea that I was being treated as a friend, when indirectly I was being graded like a hawk for everything I said and did, and it was used in reprisal for the parting shots that were thrown at me tonight.

Never, think the customer is always right, and never think the contractor is too. A happy togetherness only goes so far, and I feel that once again I blame myself for letting this continue, when I could of cut all this off initially and stopped it when I saw the warning signs.

Shame on me, not shame on them. Proof that I'm always learning in this business when it comes to people. They was determined to get the last digs in on me, and I'll let it be, knowing the retort was as weak as me urinating in a pool, thinking the pool would instantly turn yellow. It won't.

So if you want to skip all the nonsense above that I was writing to vent,
follow this,

When a customer strikes you as friendly, personable, nice and all the trimmings, always draw the line in the sand that there's money tieing you two together, and money and friendships usually don't intermix all the time. You can care about someone and their situation, but always remember that it can be shut off as fast as a faucet. People are people, you can't change their thinking or ideas most times, especially if they're writing you checks. Sometimes you can, but it has to be the writing on the wall or explained to death, countless times over to finally find belief.

Add to this with your own, or let this thread die into cyberspace, the flow of words from my fingers in the past 8 minutes was stress relieving enough to know that these things happen and I'll do my best to not let it happen again.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I FEEL you on this one !! Just let it go . have probably screwed my self out of $ 100,000 being "friends " of customers .

Wish I had done it different :(

Side note --- Those first few paragraphs were HARD to follow ! Abstract and dark ! Have you thought about writing for the FOX network ??

Cal

·
Registered
143 Posts
Dunno man,

You know better than to give the customer actual control, when working for customers some seem to need to be in control so you allow them that feeling, by letting your customers dictate your wages you gave them control of the jobs.

There is nothing wrong with being friendly or chatty with customers, you just cannot afford for them to have control or your working for food.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
Friends with customers? No way!

Call me jaded after 10,000 or so jobs spanning three decades, but I seen it all and have come to these conclusions:

The best plumbers have a loner gene.
Everybody is insane.
If it wasn't for the people, plumbing would be fun.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the facts:

I now am removed from a situation that was not good for me on many counts. I bear responsibility for it, understand that when I motor mouth on the clock that I'm indirectly sabotaging what value I can accurately place on my services. Given the friendliness and relationship with this customer I felt inclined to do this, making it a more casual situation for both.

I certainly, was wrong. I am grateful though for my spirited views and opinions to stand behind them strong, and not back down, owe one person an apology for what I do or say. Never. I've gotten this far with that in mind with ever so casual mistakes like above from time to time, but the goal is to learn from it and move on.

I get to continue doing what I do best, they get to search and invest in a plumber that needs to cater to them. As I repeat; I'm to blame for allowing this, when I could of just shot it down when the first time went a little awkward. To have this many problems from task to task was a message I wasn't following. Have no problem with people being critical of my work; happens every single day and I welcome it. Just don't imply your a friend and the first difference of opinion, you want to bail. That's a low blow entirely.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I spent a lot of poor years thinking that I was everybody's friend. If you let them decide how much to pay, it's their company, not yours, and you're just working for a poor wage. It sounds as if these people saw you coming, and even though you may not believe that, you may eventually come to believe it.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep. You're exactly right. I played myself more than they did.

When I took a stance and didn't budge, they instantly found a reason to say take a hike.

But as mentioned, I've done this a lot this year already, been closing many doors that were not beneficial or to my liking in making a consistent wage.

The next guy better expect discussion...lots of it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Wow!

Here it goes, but I recently had a "Closing the Chapter" with a customer recently that started off friendly, comical and undercharging for my time the entire way.

It was a spawning of a simple friendship but realistically I was giving more of my time than I should, just to have the ability to break the monotony of another customer, another plumbing problem.

It's like I hand picked this particular customer to be friends with, but what happened was it got to a point where too many things went wrong, too many times.

I'm not at any will to give details, other than we see from two entirely different points of views. Claws came out, accusations made that I felt were below the line in consideration because "keeping count" got taken to a new level this evening.

Customer is very upset, I said my peace and I'm leaving it learning that I should not be friends, or even assume the position as it can turn ugly sometimes. Of course, this is a "select" situation and if you all heard what brought the cards tumbling down, you'd laugh as hard as I did.

But hey, to each their own in what they feel is best for them and how they want to get to that. I wrote a return fire email that I knew was putting in hard terms that you won't change me, and supporting my opinion by not defaulting to the conversation as I was wrong, warranted my dismissal by this couple.

Good. If you knew the tiring process, you'd understand that I'm dealing with something more than the average. I'm writing this like they might someday read this, and I want to be fair to both sides, but when everything has to be so ****ing dramatic on a he said/she said situation, there's something more to the story folks, it's just not me.

I just didn't have the balls to put it out there that this "being" was something I was entertaining as "well, some people are just like this" attitude.

But, this is something I never done before as nice gesture in each and every time I worked for them, >>>> "Pay whatever you want" "Whatever you want to pay, I'm fine with it" I was consistent, and even though I made some mistakes along the way,

I was held accountable for them tonight, as they were reminded to me. Everything this friendship was based on, was a figment of imagination that I should think for a minute that every single statement, every single word I mentioned would come back and used for "Oh yeah? Well you did this, or did that!"

I got reprimanded for selling the customer an upgrade of getting away from direct Copper FIP's to Galvanized Dielectric Nipples, and upgrading to 3/4" Dielectric unions connecting that copper piping to the water heater.
For those of you who'll defend a straight copper to galvanized connection on a water heater, just because it's a dielectric nipple, don't piss on my shoes and tell me it's raining when you see countless connections such as these and almost ALWAYS; that thin line of water between the top of the dielectric nipple and the copper FIP causes corrosion and gets significantly worse as time goes on. And this fellow uses the fact that two plumbers suggested that it wasn't necessary? Pffft! I don't want copper connected to galvanized, PERIOD. Also, I can replace a water heater quite a bit faster on a dielectric installation. I was putting in an Expansion Tank that the first plumber didn't. So I was a hero to the cause until I F'd up putting in something that warranted the ability for me to get a tee in, and keeps copper from corroding the tip of that dielectric nipple?

I had two fixed positions, tight space, wasn't going to sweat a FIP right onto the dielectric nipple as it ruins the innards of them when you solder the top. and heat sink creates.

I'm the evil one for not calling between an allotted time of 3 and 4, instead I called at 6 and literally destroyed two lives as a result. Expecting forgiveness wasn't in the plans, especially knowing it would come back to haunt me.

You might be getting bored reading this as much as I am typing this, but I love the fact I got the boot today...I really do. A faucet that was bought not by me was installed by me, and the handle was 1/8" off in the forward position. It was product defect, I didn't make the faucet, I just install them. I didn't mention this to the customer this day given everything that gets blown out of control with "overthinking" and I just wanted to tippy-toe away into la-la land, knowing it's going to be hours of fun and discussion, tons of traded emails of what where why how and when and do you know where I stand in the end of all this?

The guy going back and replacing the faucet at no charge, just because I really like this fellow and his wife. They made me something to eat for me and my dad last week and it was greatly appreciated, but that too was thrown in my face along with the value of a thank you. I rubbed someone the wrong way because I was trying to get 2 values for one bad situation, and he felt I was crossing a moral ground I shouldn't. Am I moral? Did I join this site stating for the record that I have morals? No...so don't expect me to be holier than thou. It's not going to happen.

The reason for the double try was to get a justification to get paid for the second install, sacrifice a sampling of my time because I liked this couple and was willing to do opposite of what I normally do; charge for the mistake that had nothing to do with me. That's a fact jack. Everything I worked on in their home had to do with product reliability issues. Very unfair to him and his wife, and I was sticking up for them more than others.

But, I was told I write myself as the hero of my own stories, I do no wrong and I ignore all my inadequacies, even though I let this couple write their own amounts to the checks, gave more of my time than I spent, went above and beyond to make sure I gave them my best.

My best wasn't good enough, I feel that I should line back into the herd and not have a heart in this business, charge for what big business has cost them money and not give one care in the world as to how much money they waste when products in unreasonable terms, fail.

I'm guilty of caring too much,
I'm guilty of trying friendship with work relationship,
I'm guilty of BSing during work, extending my time on the job *main reason I let them choose the pricing, since we acted on friendship deal*
I'm guilty of valuing my opinion and standing by it, not flinching for a minute,
I'm guilty of trying to hard to get someone a free faucet, and one installed for free with me getting paid twice, because I actually am installing the faucet twice, 3 visits to the home, No LIES.

This customer has a free faucet coming to his home in the next couple days as a result of my "pull". I was going to put it in at no cost since this handle is slightly to the right, not more than an 1/8". Kinda nice for a company to send out $200 worth of product on my word, ain't it?

The "look" of this faucet was so minor, but I should of known it was coming. As reference to the last few encounters in the name of plumbing with all this, I knew it was coming, and it did.

Being relieved is almost a pay raise because it's over. I don't have to fall for the idea that I was being treated as a friend, when indirectly I was being graded like a hawk for everything I said and did, and it was used in reprisal for the parting shots that were thrown at me tonight.

Never, think the customer is always right, and never think the contractor is too. A happy togetherness only goes so far, and I feel that once again I blame myself for letting this continue, when I could of cut all this off initially and stopped it when I saw the warning signs.

Shame on me, not shame on them. Proof that I'm always learning in this business when it comes to people. They was determined to get the last digs in on me, and I'll let it be, knowing the retort was as weak as me urinating in a pool, thinking the pool would instantly turn yellow. It won't.

So if you want to skip all the nonsense above that I was writing to vent,
follow this,

When a customer strikes you as friendly, personable, nice and all the trimmings, always draw the line in the sand that there's money tieing you two together, and money and friendships usually don't intermix all the time. You can care about someone and their situation, but always remember that it can be shut off as fast as a faucet. People are people, you can't change their thinking or ideas most times, especially if they're writing you checks. Sometimes you can, but it has to be the writing on the wall or explained to death, countless times over to finally find belief.

Add to this with your own, or let this thread die into cyberspace, the flow of words from my fingers in the past 8 minutes was stress relieving enough to know that these things happen and I'll do my best to not let it happen again.
How long did this really take to write and you didn't even tell the whoe story? Stop torturing my curiousity and tell the whole story.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
How long did this really take to write and you didn't even tell the whoe story? Stop torturing my curiousity and tell the whole story.

I type around 120 wpm so it's not hard to type fast, especially 1 eye closed and fading.

The "more to the story" begins as a customer called to fix another plumber's issues, and then I become their plumber as a result. Along the way, I get along with them to let them hear the stuff going on in my business life and they take it as a comedic act. Sometimes it is comedy without the pay.

As time span on, it turns into a different work relationship that makes you think charging for what talents you have as "wrong" of sorts, knowing that you have to, but you don't want to charge full rate because you like the people and feel offering up your goods and services a little cheaper because you think these people deserve it.

I still think this is the case with these people but if someone cannot argue with me and see no other path than "parting ways"... That wasn't a friendship, because there was no understanding that 2 people can converse, not agree and still remain friends.

In the true sense however, I was robbing myself in this relationship and now know that friendliness is a kind gesture, but it will not go any further than that. Some people just don't like others who defiantly stand their ground, thinking there's a 1-up I'm going to give out. If I'm that headstrong to believe in myself, the other is leaving the table emptyhanded, or in this case, found no just reason to understand and decided the only way is to end it. Some just can't handle friendships, plain and simple, and if there was no money in this mix? Still the same situation would of happened. I can bet money on that statement and I venture to say I'm right.

It's all part of the big picture. I'm glad I represent what people want in a plumber. 1 difference of opinion doesn't grade the well wishes I recieve for being a sharpshooter in this profession and troubleshooting plumbing problems.

Lots of people close to me as of late get to see me through the objective view of hearing about me, not knowing me personally which I think is awesome. It means that I'm doing and saying things that people don't like, or they found out the hard way that I can't deal with certain things anymore, and I'm not stopping. <<< These people I'm mentioning are those who are time killers or I don't value their spot in my life. Might hurt feelings but when I fired those emails back at the guy in question, my intent was to show the door if you can't agree with my sentiment.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I agree with you 100%

I type around 120 wpm so it's not hard to type fast, especially 1 eye closed and fading.

The "more to the story" begins as a customer called to fix another plumber's issues, and then I become their plumber as a result. Along the way, I get along with them to let them hear the stuff going on in my business life and they take it as a comedic act. Sometimes it is comedy without the pay.

As time span on, it turns into a different work relationship that makes you think charging for what talents you have as "wrong" of sorts, knowing that you have to, but you don't want to charge full rate because you like the people and feel offering up your goods and services a little cheaper because you think these people deserve it.

I still think this is the case with these people but if someone cannot argue with me and see no other path than "parting ways"... That wasn't a friendship, because there was no understanding that 2 people can converse, not agree and still remain friends.

In the true sense however, I was robbing myself in this relationship and now know that friendliness is a kind gesture, but it will not go any further than that. Some people just don't like others who defiantly stand their ground, thinking there's a 1-up I'm going to give out. If I'm that headstrong to believe in myself, the other is leaving the table emptyhanded, or in this case, found no just reason to understand and decided the only way is to end it. Some just can't handle friendships, plain and simple, and if there was no money in this mix? Still the same situation would of happened. I can bet money on that statement and I venture to say I'm right.

It's all part of the big picture. I'm glad I represent what people want in a plumber. 1 difference of opinion doesn't grade the well wishes I recieve for being a sharpshooter in this profession and troubleshooting plumbing problems.

Lots of people close to me as of late get to see me through the objective view of hearing about me, not knowing me personally which I think is awesome. It means that I'm doing and saying things that people don't like, or they found out the hard way that I can't deal with certain things anymore, and I'm not stopping. <<< These people I'm mentioning are those who are time killers or I don't value their spot in my life. Might hurt feelings but when I fired those emails back at the guy in question, my intent was to show the door if you can't agree with my sentiment.
We need to keep a professional client relationship like a psychiatrist. It is against the law (I think) for a psychiatrist to date a client and there are probably some good reasons. I never tell customers I am the owner of my company, If I can avoid telling, because they always want a discount and expect favors. Every once in a while, I find myself talking too much about my family, or business and I have to stop myself because the customer and I get off-track and I feel that we are losing valuable time. On the other side, I may be a little unfriendly and have a hard time finding a good balance.

It sounds like you learned your lesson!

·
&#1641;(&#865;&#3663;&#815;&#865;&#3663;)&#1782;&#
8,329 Posts
Never was there a more true statment.

Friends with customers? No way!

Call me jaded after 10,000 or so jobs spanning three decades, but I seen it all and have come to these conclusions:

The best plumbers have a loner gene.
Everybody is insane.
If it wasn't for the people, plumbing would be fun.

·
&#1641;(&#865;&#3663;&#815;&#865;&#3663;)&#1782;&#
8,329 Posts
Bells and sirens should have been going off at that point. When ever a HO calls and says that some other plumber screwed everything up I'm instantly on high alert. In 1/2 of those cases the plumber did nothing wrong and it's the customer that's the wack job. Don't let your ego run you into a ditch in these situations. We all have a tendency to come in and be the hero and fix the other guys screw up because it makes you feel proud that you are so much better than the other guy. Nut job customers use this against us. Remember, when a HO calls and gives you the story about how the last plumber f***ed it all up and needs you to come to the rescue, be on guard. There's a good chance it was the HO not the plumber.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Bells and sirens should have been going off at that point. When ever a HO calls and says that some other plumber screwed everything up I'm instantly on high alert. In 1/2 of those cases the plumber did nothing wrong and it's the customer that's the wack job. Don't let your ego run you into a ditch in these situations. We all have a tendency to come in and be the hero and fix the other guys screw up because it makes you feel proud that you are so much better than the other guy. Nut job customers use this against us. Remember, when a HO calls and gives you the story about how the last plumber f***ed it all up and needs you to come to the rescue, be on guard. There's a good chance it was the HO not the plumber.

I am printing these words and posting them at my wholesaler!
excellent stuff here. i was recently stiffed for some cash and was not going to fix a thing until i got paid in full. competetion went in fixed it for 20 times what it would of cost and now the HO is coming after me for the money.
I will post the whole story when i get more time,

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'll go along with this

I agree 100%. It seem like every time a customer calls and tells a story about how another contractor messed up a job, we usually find out the customers are mssing a few screws and the other contractor probably went crazy before bailing. I think most of the time there are legitimate contractor problems is when customers actually pick up day laborers at Home Depot to do an entire bathroom remodel, entire copper repipe, or entire replacement of a drainage system. I was called to many of these jobs, the customers paid almost as much as we charge, and then many customer did not want to pay us a reasonable fee to make corrections, and they went back to the day laborers. Cheap! Cheap! Cheap!

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
We have alot of that down here. Usually when they say another company came in and screwed things up if its the handful that I know of then the customer is right. Some of them are franchise and a few are local companies

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with all this. Best to draw the line and not get to freindly with any customer. As soon as you do they want everything dirt cheap and discounted and think he you have all kinds of extra hours in the day to just swing on by and check this and that free of charge of course. Then comes the " Moneys tight can I pay you in a week" line. Nice guy that I am I say yes. now the guy dont call or give me any other work for 6 months because he is to embarrassed that he owes me money.

·
Banned
1,239 Posts
Interesting story dunbar.

I find myself in a similar situation with a job for a close friend of my wife.

My wife and I feel like we have been professionally taken advantage of and the customer feels like she's been screwed. Ultimately, it will cost my wife a friendship and our business some profit, as we're ready to do just about anything to make her go away.
Bottom line though- it's my own dam fault. She hasn't exactly been a peach, but I lost control of the situation and it was down hill from there.

I'm gonna try to learn something from it and go from there.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." - jimmy Buffett

1 - 20 of 37 Posts