Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toilet on a year old house has been backing up and leaking through the ceiling. I pull it and find the flange is roughed in way too far back...9"!!!:no:
I have a strong feeling the GC did it himself, because the customer told me that he refused to warranty it, because the house changed owenership. He said his warranty only applies to the original owner. His solution was to give the new homeowner a plunger!!!:mad: Damn hack. I don't know how this passed inspection, but obviously the inspector here wasn't paying much attention.

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
Service Guy, It's not a code violation to rough-in a toilet 9" from the rear wall. The code applies to the side clearance only.

Buy a 10" rough toilet or a TOTO toilet and a 10" rough kit.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
unless you want to be a hack you have a few options. bust out the drywall behind the toilet so the back few inches can reside in the wall or get some offset closet bolts. :laughing:

paul

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
Poor installation thats for sure, but not a code issue.

Our inspectors don't stool test the toilets during inspection.:rolleyes:

Good thing you found the problem and got paid big bucks to fix it right.:thumbup:

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
In California the Plumber would still be liable for any damage the toilet might have caused, even though the ownership changed hands.
We are responsible for workmanship, for 10 years for residential work.

Hard part is finding the clown who did the job originally.

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
The GC roughed it in at 10"!
(From the stud wall that is:bangin:)

Bill, I understand it was roughed in at 10" from the studs. Most toilets will still set properly, even when roughed in an inch too close to the back wall.

The guy who set the toilet was an idiot!

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Bill, I understand it was roughed in at 10" from the studs. Most toilets will still set properly, even when roughed in an inch too close to the back wall.

The guy who set the toilet was an idiot!
Sorry, I was not punning at you!
It was intended for the clown who done it in the first place, sorry if you thought I was reffering to you.

BTW, I found that guy who originally installed it!

Attachments

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
:laughing::laughing:

I think he's looking for a job around here and I've seen his resume.

We don't have any boots that fit him.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Not to be picky, but I see about 9 1/4 on the tape, and you are measuring from the molding, so add about 3/4.....puts is at about 9 3/4 to 10".

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
Not to be picky, but I see about 9 1/4 on the tape, and you are measuring from the molding, so add about 3/4.....puts is at about 9 3/4 to 10".
That's the measurement I got as well.

Mark

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I see 10" rough also .

Those flanges are notorious for cracking easy . Get the Sioux Chief DEEP internal flange,,,, BEST THING EVER INVENTED for repair plumbers ( on Pvc) . Cut that one out and install new . Hope that advice helps,,,,

Cal

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Basically, it wasn't an inspection or code error after all. It was simply a moron trying to install a 12" rough toilet on a 10" rough flange. At first, I mistakenly thought the bowl was a 10" rough toilet, but it wasn't.
So I will be installing a 10" rough toilet after repairing the cracked flange.
Good discussion.

·
Registered
305 Posts
In California the Plumber would still be liable for any damage the toilet might have caused, even though the ownership changed hands.
We are responsible for workmanship, for 10 years for residential work.

Hard part is finding the clown who did the job originally.
Same in AZ.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts