Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
That sucks but it happens here daily and is 25% of my calls.The gas company comes along and detects movement on the meter,sniffs and finds leakage,and takes the meter until the system is repaired or replaced.
Folks are like what the hell! It can get expensive quick ,especially under crawl areas ,trying to locate the leaks.Some systems I have seen had multiple leaks and there are a lot of people who can't get the money for the testing much less the actual repairs.
It is common to see folks who have no gas for heat,bathing and cooking do with-out for extended periods,but it's easier to live in this climate than what those poor folks are being subjected to.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sucks but it happens here daily and is 25% of my calls.The gas company comes along and detects movement on the meter,sniffs and finds leakage,and takes the meter until the system is repaired or replaced.
Folks are like what the hell! It can get expensive quick ,especially under crawl areas ,trying to locate the leaks.Some systems I have seen had multiple leaks and there are a lot of people who can't get the money for the testing much less the actual repairs.
It is common to see folks who have no gas for heat,bathing and cooking do with-out for extended periods,but it's easier to live in this climate than what those poor folks are being subjected to.
That's crazy! I never saw the likes of what you talk about until I lived in OK for a couple of years. Everyone and his neighbor's gas systems leaked.

Everywhere else the gas company would shut down meters but for the most part there was no need. In OK it was a very common thing.

Wonder why?

(I was in the Poteau area over by Fort Smith.)

·
Registered
378 Posts
ONG is now the leader in supplying the states gas.As a result ,they have partnered with all local jurisdictions and have agreed to move all thier meters from the easements to within a few feet of the home in an effort to have as much of the underground piping as possible under thier jurisdiction for cathodic protection.Everyone runs pe now so I don't quite understand.And they are installing this at no-charge to the customer.
So when we are called out for pressure tests due to leaks,it often times is a matter of testing the inside and outside systems seperately,though the final must be tested from the meter to the end of the branch lines.Unfortunately we loose all the gas service installs now.
I put on my contract ,leak on service side ,and they come out and replace the lines for the folks.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I just re-piped a home that was built in the 40's ,had roughly 250' of iron through-out the home and to an attached mother-in-law house ,and I actually try to repair before re-piping,and I came across 20 or more leaks all over the place.Surprisingly,many of the fittings were'nt made up enough/tightened enough.
The gas police are out in force here,it's a good thing and good for business.
Many leaks are at the packing of the old gas cocks for instance,and the gas company will pull the meter if it is more than so many parts per million.This is no embellishment,gas work is 50% of my business,and omce they shut you off you need a contractor to get the system up to code.
I'm starting to get a few calls from folks saying they made the repairs themselves and have it pressurized and just need me to pull a permit.Frickin' people.I don't appreciate that crap.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
I just re-piped a home that was built in the 40's ,had roughly 250' of iron through-out the home and to an attached mother-in-law house ,and I actually try to repair before re-piping,and I came across 20 or more leaks all over the place.Surprisingly,many of the fittings were'nt made up enough/tightened enough.
The gas police are out in force here,it's a good thing and good for business.
Many leaks are at the packing of the old gas cocks for instance,and the gas company will pull the meter if it is more than so many parts per million.This is no embellishment,gas work is 50% of my business,and omce they shut you off you need a contractor to get the system up to code.
I'm starting to get a few calls from folks saying they made the repairs themselves and have it pressurized and just need me to pull a permit.Frickin' people.I don't appreciate that crap.
Tell them you will not permit work you have not done then charge them for a re- test (which was probably improperly done by them). No way would I ever let someone "borrow" my certification even for a fee and I think I know you well enough by now to know that you wouldn't do it either. As a consumer I understand people wanting to save a buck but as a business man I also understand my intense desire to provide for my family's future. It's not just dollars and cents either when your talking about NG. Sign off on someone else's mistake and who do you think they are coming for when the house blows up or burns down?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Exactly,I don't need that kind of business.Believe me,I do my best to be ethical and have no problems walking away from illegal or shady activity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts