Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you dare enter and work on someones home when they are not there? i do not myself because of the liability. What if they claim something is missing?

me? Unless they are a REAL good customer that answer is NO. If they are not there, I will not go.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've also bein doing that forever,after all,they are trusting the lives of their families with us as it is for a lot of work we do.Trust is trust.

Would I have one of my people in the home,no,not with-out me.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Years ago I did. But not no more. They must be there so I can collect. Real good customers I would and go get the check if they are close.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Registered
468 Posts
I get a kick out of the "gated" communities, where I and god knows how many other tradesmen, delivery guys, gardners, etc. have the code for the gate!

Also, I have had numerous people who feel their neighborhood was safe, and leave a key under the mat for me. These were long time customers, not first time.

The one thing I would not do is go to a house where only the kids were home. Don't need that situation!

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have no problem working in a house when no one is there, except that COD is impossible. After all, if you were going to steal something, you could just as easily do it when they were there.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Years ago I did. But not no more. They must be there so I can collect. Real good customers I would and go get the check if they are close.

In Christ,

Song Dog
Its not a problem if you get a credit card by phone. I have also had situations where I needed to come back the next day to install something, and they left a check on the table.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
We do, only after permission as granted.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
We do on occasions but they are rare. Too many situations could arise if they "misplaced" something and we were the last ones in their home.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
On the last three jobs I have done I never saw the homeowner once, I have yet to see the homeowner on the job I am doing now, they are staying in their villa in Nice France during construction.

·
Building codes guy
40 Posts
I'm a city employee, and had a 15 or 16 year old girl...Scantily clad...Answer the door when I arrived to do a water heater inspection. I asked if an adult was home and she said no. I advised that I couldn't enter the house without an adult present, and suggested that I contact her father to re-schedule. From his front porch I called him, explained the fact that I would not enter the house with only his minor daughter present, and offered to meet him later than we usually do inspections (trying to be accommodating).

He screamed at me and got hung up on. I thanked his daughter, who was very understanding. He called the mayor to tell him that the inspector was being ridiculous. The mayor said I did the right thing.

Even when scantily-clad minor daughters aren't home, I won't go into an occupied home without a homeowner or contractor present. I won't even venture into other areas of the home without someone with me. People are too quick to accuse people of ridiculous things.

I know a lot of contractors that have the same policy, and a smaller group that don't.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Scantily-clad 16 year old girl...I'm there!:w00t:

Just kidding.:no: I will not ever enter a home with unsupervised minors present.
That should be common sense with all trades that work in homes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
..and if the lady of the house cant " un-scantily clad" herself, i return when the man of house is present. i came for plbg. work, not a floor show.

·
Lego Expert
4,570 Posts
When I started out plumbing i was in a service truck w/ and ex con. We went to $500000+ houses everyday and took nothing but a look around just to see how the RICH live.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I do it all the time . Have always thought of my business as a "relationship" with my customers .

Once we meet and know each other it has NEVER been a problem . I have customers now who "text" me with something that says ," Hey , george ,, got a bad toilet (etc ) , left the key under the mat . Leave me a bill ,,, thanks !"

I LOVE that !! There is NOTHING in anyone's house that is worth my reputation or my word .
Cal

Reactions: M5Plumb

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
When I was in Washington D. c. I was accused of stealing a watch off the kitchen counter. The ho's wife was there and she is the one that accused me. She called the cops and everything. They came and searched our truck and questioned us. Come to find out her husband had put her watch on that morning by mistake. the b**** didn't even apologize to me just told the cops she was sorry she called them and walked away. 2 weeks later my boss was going to send back over there because she requested that i come and unstop her toilet. I told him no way in hell was I going back there.

·
Senior Moment
1,904 Posts
I do all of the time. Never a problem yet. I'm a one man shop and 99% of my work is word of mouth, people tend to be very trusting because they we're usually referred by a trusting friend. I gotta admit in some situations it makes me a little nervous, I'm sometimes afraid I'm gonna get accused of something I didn't do. Like the other day on a remodel HO wasn't there during a remodel and there was a couple of carpenters there as well. This lady's jewelry chest was wide open with gold chains literally hanging over the edge and several rings etc. I couldn't help but wonder if one of the carpenters took somthing what would happen?? They both seemed trustworthy but ya never know.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I am not comfortable going to someones house when there is no one home but I think I am more nervous about going into houses with just the wife there by herself. For example I went to a house one time and we had to bleed the lines on her boiler system to get the air out. We informed this lady that we would have to go into each room and bleed the radiators. When I walk into the bedroom she had dozens of photos laying on the bed of her and her husband in various sexual activities.:eek: I just walked back out and ask her to put them up before i went any further. She told me it was o k she wasn't worried about it. I told her I was and that I would not continue until they were put a way. Another time I went into one of my bosses good friends house to work on his toilets. His wife answered the door in a very revealing nightgown. I told her before I came in that I would give her a few minutes to get dressed. She said she was dressed :laughing:. Again I told her to at least put a house coat on before I came in and she got pretty upset with me but went and did it. No doubt in my mind what she had in mind. One company I worked for in Maryland would not let us work in a house unless there were two of us there. They had been sued a few times because of women saying that the plumbers made passes at them. So for that reason I watch myself very carefully when I am in someone elses home, especially now with the hidden video cams getting more and more popular I think it is foolish for anyone to do anything but thier job when in a customers home.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts