Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Delta Multi choice, knock out the shower restrictor for full flow. Moen next but machined ports are only so big . No big thing unless you have a divertor valve after the mixing valve and want to run more than one shower head. The Delta multi choice has better flow. Both cartridges have their issues. Does anyone else use a Moen tub / shower faucet for just a shower stall. I connect the shower head to the port for the tub spout and cap the port that went to the shower, much better flow but a pain to construct. Delta much easier.
Why’s it a pain to construct? Just put it in upside down. Moentrolls and positemp body’s don’t care what side you’re feeding hot and cold from.

I’ve only met one moen cartridge so far I couldn’t remove and it was a 50ish year old brass one. I Use the puller on every one of them and never have an issue.

I do a mix off 304 bodies and Positemps if I’m picking somthing. The majority of bodies I do wind up being Waterworks, California Faucets, Sherril Wagner or some one off expensive brand. If people ask me for advice on a high end brand I try to steer them to Rohl.

·
Il Lic. Plumber
40 Posts
Why’s it a pain to construct? Just put it in upside down. Moentrolls and positemp body’s don’t care what side you’re feeding hot and cold from.
But then the cartridge,trim and handle would be upside down .

·
Il Lic. Plumber
40 Posts
But then the cartridge,trim and handle would be upside down .
I could flip the cartridge, but the bump on the posi temp would be on the bottom and the trim would have to be upside down. Put the handle assembly on upside-downx this may work. Never know what an old dog may learn on here . Think outside the box

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I could flip the cartridge, but the bump on the posi temp would be on the bottom and the trim would have to be upside down. Put the handle assembly on upside-downx this may work. Never know what an old dog may learn on here . Think outside the box
You can completely flip the cartridge upside down and rotate the stem. It'll work fine. I've had to do it several times (just dealing with what's in front of me, you know how it goes.)

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Like Martin, we get Waterworks and Dornbracht and Vola. I don't like the heavy lifting involved with Vola, but their tech guy, John Kamuda, is great. Fortunately Waterworks and Dornbracht have a few good tech people as well. If we're lucky, we get an occasional Hans Grohe iBox, a Rohl or a Grohe. I like Grohe and Rohl because I have a good relationship with their reps. Once in a while a Kohler comes our way. Haven't dealt with Moen or Delta for decades.

·
Plumbing since 1974
126 Posts

I’ve only met one moen cartridge so far I couldn’t remove and it was a 50ish year old brass one. I Use the puller on every one of them and never have an issue.

I do a mix off 304 bodies and Positemps if I’m picking somthing. The majority of bodies I do wind up being Waterworks, California Faucets, Sherril Wagner or some one off expensive brand. If people ask me for advice on a high end brand I try to steer them to Rohl.
The puller can't help if the Positemp's brass stem is broken (dealt with two of them just in past month).

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
The puller can't help if the Positemp's brass stem is broken (dealt with two of them just in past month).
That really sucks. I've never had that happen. I've had the center stem pull out and needed to use a spiral extractor for the outer piece though.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts