Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your favorite aspect of plumbing, besides the check?
Me I enjoy troubleshooting. I get the most satisfaction out of locating a problem and fixing it. I especially like the ones that others had tried to solve before me and were unable to fix it.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Me I enjoy troubleshooting. I get the most satisfaction out of locating a problem and fixing it. I especially like the ones that others had tried to solve before me and were unable to fix it.
Design and drawing.

Back when I ran new high rise work it was a challenge to layout the stacks to both minimize the chases and maximize the floor plan. It was always a little easier if you could use a starter fitting out of the catalog, a bit more of a challenge if you had to design the fitting and work with the foundry to get it made correctly. There are still architects to this day that will contact me to offer an opinion on someone Else's layout, and I haven't done any new high rise work in 8 years.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
My favorite part is prolly design/build work. It's always per plans when they are drawn after I leave.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Meeting new people, some are fun to chat with, some are a little wacked.

Reactions: retired rooter

·
Plumbing and Gas SCO
1,437 Posts
I am in total agreement with ya on that!

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Taking a Sawzall or whatever to a nightmare. Then replacing it with good work. Then seeing the customer's eyes pop when they see the difference.

And working with the customers.

And like has been said, diagnostics.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Taking a Sawzall or whatever to a nightmare. Then replacing it with good work. Then seeing the customer's eyes pop when they see the difference.

And working with the customers.

And like has been said, diagnostics.
:thumbup: Agreed

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
I like providing solutions to customer’s plumbing issues that others can't. Both for the money and the satisfaction. I like solving problems AND getting paid well.

I like installing things that will out live me(I'm in my mid 20s), unfortunately the pleasure is becoming less frequent in today’s p.o.s. ruled market.

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
I like draincleaning. It's good, hard work and it's immediate satissfaction. Hit the stoppage, water drops. When I do hvac, I ahve to fix the problem then wait for the system to work normally and readjust from there, takes to long for my liking.

·
Plumb or Die!!
421 Posts
The rush of opening up a big set of blueprints for the first time for a job that I'll eat, sleep and breathe for the next 6 months to a year.
On a more hands on note, building a big copper meter/prv station, or nice symetrical 3-5 HWT install. I love picking a piping layout that just "fits" the room.
I love the random phone calls I get from controls contractors or former students needing help troubleshooting. It's funny the problems you can help solve from hundreds of miles away with limited information. Nice having these guys call you a f*ing genius, too!

·
The Old (antique) Master
2,246 Posts
The rush of opening up a big set of blueprints for the first time for a job that I'll eat, sleep and breathe for the next 6 months to a year.
On a more hands on note, building a big copper meter/prv station, or nice symetrical 3-5 HWT install. I love picking a piping layout that just "fits" the room.
I love the random phone calls I get from controls contractors or former students needing help troubleshooting. It's funny the problems you can help solve from hundreds of miles away with limited information. Nice having these guys call you a f*ing genius, too!
Problem is some are called gene-asses, but none of them are on the zone.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yes, those are the fun ones. One in particular comes to mind...

I got called out for a no-heat call on a house hydronic system. I get there and while I'm looking it over the woman blahblahs on about how she had another company there already (fairly reputable company) and the guy (supposedly their hydronic expert) thought it was the mixer valve, but he didn't fix it and left her with no heat still and a $450 bill for doing exactly nothing. She was definitely not happy.

By the time I was there for two minutes or less it was real obvious that the circulator was seized. He had "diagnosed" it as good by putting a meter on the power going to it! :laughing::laughing: What a moron! Of course it's pulling power and humming, ya nitwit. :rolleyes: I felt it - it was smokin hot. Pulled out my longest screwdriver and put my ear on it - yup, that pump is seized!

I didn't have one on the truck, so had to go buy one. Replaced it, adjusted the mixer cuz "the tech" messed it up (it works like new BTW), and boiler temp and collect a whopping $287 and leave with the heat on and the boiler freshly serviced. I now have a new customer for life.

·
Super Moderator
12,486 Posts
One of my favorite things to do is when I get a call that customer has 'no hot water.' I love those the most. My mind is thinking about what I might find as I'm driving there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Diagnostics

Years ago I got called to an old house in a town center. The kitchen/dining room ceiling had some old, pristine plaster bas-relief that was wet from above. They didn't want the ceiling to be touched (obviously), so I cut a ballvalve and pressure tester into the main, filled 'er back up and then shut the house water off to wait for the pressure equalize.

I used my plumber's math I had learned from the school house, determined the height of the head pressure, measured up to the second floor bathroom wall and removed the vanity. I cut into the wall behind the vanity so as not to create too big a hole. There it was; a pinhole leak on the vanity riser. I couldn't believe my luck, but it made me look like a hero!

Yes, it took some time to wait for the pressure to equalize, but it was worth it. It also happened to be the first time I applied this basic law of plumbing on an actual job.

·
Master Plumber
301 Posts

I would have to say mine is, "being the hero". When you turn a "****ty" situation into a good one, and the customer is happy, happy, and truly grateful. It means alot to me. Worth more than money..(to an extent). haha

Work wise, I love knowin that I do a good job. It's a great feeling to work your ass off for a week on a HUGE gas line that spans 1000-2000 feet, put the test on it, and come back the next morning and it's right where you left it. I can't tell you the last time I had a leak. *knock on wood* I know it happens to everybody once in awhile, but the self satisfaction of wet testing a water system, or pressure testing a big cast iron job with a 1000 no hubs, and having no leaks, is AWESOME.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts