Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Recently I've stuck to mostly Viessmann or NTI Trinity but have installed many others. I put in Trinity's for customers who want a system that is cost effective and Viessman's for people who have more cash than brains. We used to install Super Hots and Larrs all the time but those conventional boilers won't be used anymore for my new installs. The price is so similar for my systems that it wouldn't make sense not to put a condensing unit in.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Higher end.....Buderus or the Lochinvar Knight. Cast iron... Burnham or Utica.

We had some problems with the W.M. Ultra so we only service them, no installs.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The Ultra had some control glitches in its first generation....nuisance lockouts and such. There are a few threads about them on some of the heating forums. We've had issues with the supply sensors going haywire and locking out the control.

I know that the Ultra has been redesigned, but I'm not sure if anything has improved.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Ultra had some control glitches in its first generation....nuisance lockouts and such. There are a few threads about them on some of the heating forums. We've had issues with the supply sensors going haywire and locking out the control.

I know that the Ultra has been redesigned, but I'm not sure if anything has improved.

Yea, I have seen some lockouts as well, but mostly the service crew dealt with that, I would just mostly install them, however I would troubleshoot them once and a while when they werent running me to the ground on a rough....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Never installed IBC but have seen them around lots. I've heard good things but it's hard to try out every boiler. It seems there are so many new condensing boilers out now with all the new literature that needs to be read and endless figuring things out. I'll look into it though and will probably try one out one day.

·
Registered
356 Posts
ScottK, which wholesalers handle IBC, looks like a solid product.

PlumberDave, what kind of problems have you had with condensing boilers and which brands??

·
Senior Moment
1,904 Posts
I put a utica condensing boiler in my house. The only problem im having is there's a lot of vibration when the exhaust fan kicks on. The exhaust pipe and jacket vibrate and make a lot of noise. I replaced the fan thinking it was defective, didn't help. I'm glad it's in my house and not a customers.

·
Registered
398 Posts
ScottK, which wholesalers handle IBC, looks like a solid product.

PlumberDave, what kind of problems have you had with condensing boilers and which brands??
We typically get them from Wolseley but I know you can get them through Emco and I believe BCP carries them (in BC).

·
Registered
396 Posts
What types of problems were you have with Mclain ?
Dude I am so freaking tired of with these darn Weil Mclains no way in hell could I possible install these stupid POS in anything I give a **** about you know my customers homes. Every darn time I need a part it has to come from their factory so even overnight it is 3 days out of heat and/or hot water. To get to the part to replace what a darn joke I have only one elbow in each arm. and the GV series What freaking rocket scientist came up negitive pressure gas valves and burner cones with that flemsy al sheet. Anyway just a bad day with a GV.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dude I am so freaking tired of with these darn Weil Mclains no way in hell could I possible install these stupid POS in anything I give a **** about you know my customers homes. Every darn time I need a part it has to come from their factory so even overnight it is 3 days out of heat and/or hot water. To get to the part to replace what a darn joke I have only one elbow in each arm. and the GV series What freaking rocket scientist came up negitive pressure gas valves and burner cones with that flemsy al sheet. Anyway just a bad day with a GV.
You know, I hear ya know, Recently I wrote a few articles on Weil Mclain AND I hear nothing but horror stories from the comments that are left....

Seems like Weild Mclain is going down hill......year ago they used to be better

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
You must have a crappy wholesaler in your area. I have been installing WM's for 35 years now and their warranty has always been 1st rate. Also my wholesale house (FW Webb) carries just about any part made for them. I can get it within an hour if I don't have it on the self. That said though WM is not my favorite boiler by a long shot. We sell them because in New England they are a household word. WM has been around for the better part of the century and folks in the area trust the name. Me, I'm a Buderus and Viessmann fan followed by Baxi and HB Smith.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts