Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
According to my code. You can connect CPVC direct to a gas water heater. . No EQ Straps

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
It was inspected? Must have paid he off.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Bet he was a friend of the plumber that did the work, how else could this come to be?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm really digging the "type b" vinyl dryer vent going into the ceiling and the high tech foil tape mechanical connection.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I'm really digging the "type b" vinyl dryer vent going into the ceiling and the high tech foil tape mechanical connection.
Should be double wall flue passing through there I think.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I install full port ball valves on the hot and cold on a heater. This is to be able to swap the heater quickly, drain down or blow down for maintenance or to be able to remove the heater entirely and loop easily for test purposes.

In service plumbing, the concept of too many service shut offs is just a myth perpetuated by stingy people that hate service plumbers and want to make our life harder.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I install full port ball valves on the hot and cold on a heater. This is to be able to swap the heater quickly, drain down or blow down for maintenance or to be able to remove the heater entirely and loop easily for test purposes.

In service plumbing, the concept of too many service shut offs is just a myth perpetuated by stingy people that hate service plumbers and want to make our life harder.
You can never have too many that's for sure.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
That would be a code violation here, you can't valve the outlet side of a water heater, only the branches.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
I believe what you are looking at is an Ameri-flex vent connector which is snapped into a B-Vent. I'm not sure what the aluminum tape was for but the vent connector is the only vent connector I am familar with which has a 1" clearance to combustibles based on that design.

Mark

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That would be a code violation here, you can't valve the outlet side of a water heater, only the branches.
Is there a reason for that?:001_huh: We can (and usually do when repiping) and install a relief valve. No quake strap. No pan required when not in habitable space on first floor. No plastic allowed anywhere near the flue(though you wouldn't know it from the pic)

While where on the subject of water heaters, I notice the electricians NEVER install disconnects on heaters. NEC says heaters must have disconnect when more than 50 feet away from main panel or not in direct line of sight of panel. I see lots of heaters in attics, closets, utility rooms that are no where near the panel and definitely not in line of sight.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I like to install two valves on water heaters, it makes it much easier to change them out.

As for tape their were a few carbon monoxide poisonings from poorly installed flu pipes so now we are required to use it on all joints. Never mind that the problems were from homeowners and unlicensed folk that won't follow the rule anyway.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Slop crap like that really fries my :censored: a$$. Then we get to here how we are all idiots in FL because one moron pulls crap like that and gets paid for it. That kind of hack crap is we should start :hang: on the town square. No expansion tank either? We are required to exp tanks on heaters in Lee County are you all not required to in Orlando?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Expansion tanks are not needed unless the need for one is needed. Hope you don't need an explanation on that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts