Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not buying any but my employer will be buying many gallons of the sticky stuff soon. Large warehouse. Employee ran a forklift up into a 6" sprinkler line and ruptured it.

Massive amounts of antifreeze all over their stuff.

Will get pics if I can.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Depends on if they're using full-blown auto antifreeze or RV antifreeze. I just bought some Prestone for my pickup at Wally World. It mixes with any other antifreeze and it was $10.50 per gallon.

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
Ummm, Wally World is where Clark W. Griswald took his family for their summer vacation.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Depends on if they're using full-blown auto antifreeze or RV antifreeze. I just bought some Prestone for my pickup at Wally World. It mixes with any other antifreeze and it was $10.50 per gallon.
Good to know I'm not the only person that refers to it as Wally World...:laughing:

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can't put ethylene glycol (regular car antifreeze) in a sprinkler system or a hydronic heating system.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
You can't put ethylene glycol (regular car antifreeze) in a sprinkler system or a hydronic heating system.
True, we wandered a little here. Propylene glycol only. We paid 21/gal last time we bought some, last summer.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Yea it has a slight problem with regards to fire sprinkler systems...

MSDS Sheet said:

Flammability of the Product:
May be combustible at high temperature.
Auto-Ignition Temperature:

398°C (748.4°F)
Flash Points:

CLOSED CUP: 111°C (231.8°F). (Tagliabue.)
Flammable Limits:

LOWER: 3.2%
Products of Combustion:

These products are carbon oxides (CO, CO2).
Fire Hazards in Presence of Various Substances:
Slightly flammable to flammable in presence of open flames and sparks, of heat.

Non-flammable in presence of shocks.
http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Ethylene_glycol-9927167

There are also some environmental factors...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts