Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and another plumber set a tus/shower one piece today. Got all done turned water on and heard water near the WH, upon checking it out, the heater was old and rusted out, leaking really bad, now keep in mine the job we did was for a builder, separate to the problems with the WH, we informed the owner of the problem, though out the bid and the owner said they had others to do that work for them, sitting there doing the write up, two trucks pull up, there not plumbers, and I knew they did not have a license to do that water heater, since we were already into a job there, we did not want to start trouble and not get our payment from the builder, we let it go and said nothing, oh how I wated to wait there till they started to roll out a new WH just to call them in, I could not.

This was a hard call to make, letting non licensened plumbers get the WH job.

What what you have done differently, put work from a builder at stake and say something, or keep quiet like nothing happened?

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Its a tough call. I myself right now am pissed with one gc in particular. If I hear of him doing something like that I will make a call to DPOR.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
I don't work for builders, ever.:thumbsup: So I would have called my friends at the city permit & inspection department and waited for them to show up while the unlicensed guys were in the middle of hooking up the water heater without a permit.:whistling2: That would be so great, I can hardly wait until I get such an opportunity.:yes: You blew it Ron.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
I don't work for builders, ever.:thumbsup: So I would have called my friends at the city permit & inspection department and waited for them to show up while the unlicensed guys were in the middle of hooking up the water heater without a permit.:whistling2: That would be so great, I can hardly wait until I get such an opportunity.:yes: You blew it Ron.
Rons problem was he could not say anything because if he did he would have problems with the contractor about getting paid.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
I know, but he could have made an anonymous call to the building inspectors to come and bust the guys doing the illegal install.
Yeh, now thats an option. Just hope its not like our local Sheriffs department, call in anomalously and they publicise your name!

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
Thats a tough call! I can't stand working for gc's, they want my great work for pennies on the $$$ as they cash in on it!

You were in a tough spot, I would have called it in silently, not let anyone know, right as I was on site, it the porta john :laughing: If I was still there while the inspector showed up I would have acted very surprised. Guess the neighbors did it, or the inspector must have been driving by, how are they gonna prove different?

This unlicensed crap has to stop happening. One way or another. In my area I believe it is slowing down because people are wising up and realizing they have no recourse when something goes down

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
I'd follow their truck home later that day, then wait for a stormy night with lots of thunder and lightning. Then take a gun with a silencer and follow a thunder boom from a distance, fire right into the engine block.

There's 4 to 6 thousand dollars right there.

If you don't have the nuggets to do it, buy a pellet gun and keep holes in the radiators...they'll catch on eventually, signed off by a dear john letter telling them why radiators leak with unlicensed plumbers only.

The only way to stop it is with costing them money. Nothing else rarely works.

·
Plumber, Totally
86 Posts
I'd follow their truck home later that day, then wait for a stormy night with lots of thunder and lightning. Then take a gun with a silencer and follow a thunder boom from a distance, fire right into the engine block.

There's 4 to 6 thousand dollars right there.

If you don't have the nuggets to do it, buy a pellet gun and keep holes in the radiators...they'll catch on eventually, signed off by a dear john letter telling them why radiators leak with unlicensed plumbers only.

The only way to stop it is with costing them money. Nothing else rarely works.
real smart, shooting their truck! What an idiot! do you really think any of us believe you actually do that? By the way, the original poster of this question wanted a straight answer. Next time you want to run your mouth by typing this sort of BS, dont!

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
Well....I don't know Ron. If I didn't call it in, I would contact the home owner tomorrow and let them know you would be more than happy to come by and take a look and make sure everything is safe and correct. Once in the door you can pick apart the handymans work and maybe get some kibnd of sale out of it. As for calling it in.....I prolly would have not. I care...just not that much to start affecting my income.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can't keep quiet about it.we've lost a couple of GC's in the past on stuff like this,but if they expect us to be above board ,they have to also.How would the builder feel if there was a rotten floor discovered and the HO called in a handyman to repair it instead of him?

·
Registered
356 Posts
That is a tough one, I think the homeowner or contractor needs to get fined for hiring unliscenced workers. Its the only way it will ever stop.

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
Thats a tough call! I can't stand working for gc's, they want my great work for pennies on the $$$ as they cash in on it!

You were in a tough spot, I would have called it in silently, not let anyone know, right as I was on site, it the porta john :laughing: If I was still there while the inspector showed up I would have acted very surprised. Guess the neighbors did it, or the inspector must have been driving by, how are they gonna prove different?

This unlicensed crap has to stop happening. One way or another. In my area I believe it is slowing down because people are wising up and realizing they have no recourse when something goes down
I'm with you here WCP 100%. I don't know about the rest of you but I can't afford to lose work to an unlicensed hack. The reason for unlicensed work being allowed is even thought of, is because fines are rarelly inforced.
Are comp. has sent reps. to HO association meetings and such to inform the HO of the law, we also answer questions about misc. plumbing stuff. Gotten a few calls from it to!!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
What I've done in the past was to call the building dept. I had my permit, and inspectors can come by a job unannounced. Of course I am friendly with all the inspectors not just plumbing, so when I call and let one of them know what is going on I tell them this was an anonymous call so I can get my check with out all drama.:whistling2:

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
real smart, shooting their truck! What an idiot! do you really think any of us believe you actually do that? By the way, the original poster of this question wanted a straight answer. Next time you want to run your mouth by typing this sort of BS, dont!

lighten up, if you knew the poster you would be laughing right now.

some people just don't have a personality

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It ok TotalPlumber, we all are friends on this site, I know it's all just joking around. :thumbsup:

Reactions: DUNBAR PLUMBING

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts

That was Ron's plumbing work to do the task no matter what excuse you throw at it, You defend the action of the hacks and I'll make it interesting for you here.

Only a unlicensed plumber would take offense to that, or someone who employs such a lowered standard for substantiating profit margins that aren't marginally there...no?

My business is 18 months old, been a plumber for 10 years or so. My biggest problem is profitability!

Young grasshopper,

What makes you so determined to defend those who take from this trade...

I have twice your years in the trade, and far more than "18 months" running a business. If you want entertainment, being such a angelic plumber, let me take my lawnmower and mow your wings off. :laughing:

What is with you plumbers in Alabama? Do you just sing, pray your way into making these unlicensed HACKS stop taking work away from the profession that employs me? I don't care about you, I care about me. That simple.

Don't make me turn your words into my signature. Feel free to use mine shooting holes into engine blocks of unlicensed hacks...anytime. :thumbup:

BANG! POW! Damn T-storms! :whistling2:

(polishes pellet gun, shines barrel)

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
meee tooo. I would have called them in a heartbeat. Let the fines begin!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts