Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
ACQ, salt treated, or more than likely because of age pressure treated plate. The chemicals within any of the three woods have a corrosive effect on any metals that come into contact with them. This is why when I frame a house I MUST use double diped hot galvanized "J" bolts to anchor the sill down. If anything else is used I have to cut the hole in the plate large enough to allow me to insert a plastic sleeve so the metal does not touch the wood.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking that it had to be a chemical in the PT wood, but, this house was built in 72'. I just thought it was ood. started out as a tub valve change out, but then noticed mold and moisture, then slab leak. The hall bath where the tub valve wall was, backs up to the side shower wall in MB. Sure did hate it for the HO, but what can you do.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Someone used a nail as a clip ,,,,, corroded the pipe

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I was thinking that it had to be a chemical in the PT wood, but, this house was built in 72'. I just thought it was ood. started out as a tub valve change out, but then noticed mold and moisture, then slab leak. The hall bath where the tub valve wall was, backs up to the side shower wall in MB. Sure did hate it for the HO, but what can you do.

Sweeeeeeeeeet!

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
I have seen city and well water what will destroy copper lines too.
Some places copper wont last 5 years while others last a lifetime

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I have seen city and well water what will destroy copper lines too.
Some places copper wont last 5 years while others last a lifetime
Yeah ,,,that is strange !! I just don't get that sometimes . And you can beat yourself to death figuring it out .

Cal

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know that in FL, cpvc is the main water pipe material here, or either pex. It is a known fact that the closer you get the coast, the harder the water is. It will eat the living daylights out of copper.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
do you know how hard it is at that house? hard water in itself shouldn't eat pipes, it's just extra calcium and magnesium. low ph's will mess with plumbing though.

when i did new const. in colorado cpvc was all they used in the tract homes. i'm pretty sure it was just to save $$ though.

paul

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the rest of the pipes are fine, in the slab normal/slight corrsion, just where it passed through that 2x4. oh well, mo money mo money mo money.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
was it sleaved with anything where it passed through the slab? chemicals can do some nasty things. between what might be in a treated bottom plate and the lime in the concrete, that might be all it takes.

but then again, maybe it was just your lucky day. :thumbup:

paul

·
Registered
79 Posts
If that wall was open such as a utility room, it could have been some kind of pesticide that was sprayed there , maybe a couple times a year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts