Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to get a good outfit that is highly portable for making repairs on copper piping. Right now I use the small Mapp canister with the Home Cheapo self lighting torch that has such a large flame I'm scared to use it around anything combustible. (Thank God for ProPress):thumbup:
Please recommend tank, gas type, torch heads for sweat and braze.

Thanks Yall!:)

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I use an acetylene B tank with a Turbo torch most of the time.

I also carry an MC tank, with a Goss soft flame setup, for a quicky.

You can turn the flame down real low with the Goss, and a small tip.

Reactions: ToUtahNow

·
Canadian Red Seal Plumber
369 Posts
I use a bernzomatic torch and a fire retardant blanket ( 12"x12") , the flame on my torch is not adjustable either but the blanket is the ticket. That and a little extra caution..

Lifer...

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
I too use an Acetylene B-tank with a turbo torch set up plus have an MC tank for long crawls.

Mark

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
I think I might go to a B tank. Soft copper for natural gas is allowed here. Older systems will be bip and newer, 2# systems will be soft copper.

So often, if I am adding a gas line on a 2# system I need more heat than what I need for 95/5. The old MAPP canisters did anything up to 5/8" o.d. with no problem but since all I can get now is MAP, which apparently is not the same formulation, I have discovered that I'm not getting enough heat to do it. Repair plumbers don't like to drag around extra stuff but I'm tired of trying to get the joints hot enough. I don't need any gas leaks.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks guys!
I found the Lenox -LX5MC which appears to be a nice set-up. Is there any advantage using acetylene for general soldering? I have always just used propane/mapp gas unless we were brazing, then we used acetylene.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I have a B tank Turbotorch and a mapp gas Turbotorch on the truck. I like acetylene over mapp or propane for the extra heat but I don't like dragging a big B tank under a house or in an attic so I have both set-ups.

Paul

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Thanks guys!
I found the Lenox -LX5MC which appears to be a nice set-up. Is there any advantage using acetylene for general soldering? I have always just used propane/mapp gas unless we were brazing, then we used acetylene.

After seeing that setup there, I need to build something that's far better than the issues I have with mine.

I use an MC tank with turbo torch and self igniter.

I use a small tip, pencil type so I can get into small places without burning up everything around my work area.

Customer told me today that replaced his 8 year plumber because the plumber used sharkbites on copper to fix a copper leak.

He liked me unsweating and resweating the problem area, putting the piping back to original state. Told them I use sharkbites only for transition to CPVC as I will not make a glued connection, nor will I ever own a piece of that garbage on my truck.

·
The Pipe Whisperer
393 Posts
I have a turbo torch setup. but i like the one in the pic. i would get it

Thanks guys!

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
After researching that product above,

Look at that design, and what do you think happens when it tips over, putting all the strain at the connection to the bottle.

Plus, if you don't wind it tight around the circle, look at how the torch is already hitting the surface the tank is resting on... it'll just be worse if you don't wind tight... how much work is that every single F-ing time.

To top it off,

only a 90 day warranty.

???

Lenox will never get my hard earned money if they cannot warrant any of their product longer than 90 days.

Harbor Freight has better warranties than Lenox... at least Harbor Freight admits they sell junk.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is a nice looking set-up:thumbsup: $253.00 don't sound too bad and I do love pretty tools:laughing::laughing::laughing:. Just received my Milwaukee M12 Shears today and looking forward to cutting some pipe:thumbup:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After researching that product above,

Look at that design, and what do you think happens when it tips over, putting all the strain at the connection to the bottle.

Plus, if you don't wind it tight around the circle, look at how the torch is already hitting the surface the tank is resting on... it'll just be worse if you don't wind tight... how much work is that every single F-ing time.

To top it off,

only a 90 day warranty.

???

Lenox will never get my hard earned money if they cannot warrant any of their product longer than 90 days.

Harbor Freight has better warranties than Lenox... at least Harbor Freight admits they sell junk.
I guess it would be cheaper/better to just assemble a unit myself? I will go by the welding shop tomorrow to see what they have. Which torch set are the best?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I used that same rig for a while ,,, Just no real place to put anything . Now i use an MC tank with smaller turbo tip . Got a BIG carry tool type bag @ HD ,,, Have the MC tank laying in there , flux , solder and a bunch of other stuff . Copper fittings in parachute bag(s) . Easy to carry everything .

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
I guess it would be cheaper/better to just assemble a unit myself? I will go by the welding shop tomorrow to see what they have. Which torch set are the best?

I've been having this problem with a MC tank setup for years now, and I'm constantly knocking my tank over, damaging the gauge, breaking off hoses.

Usually when I get pissed off seeing someone elses idea that can be perfected, I go out into the shop and create something that's a pretty good idea.

I "believe" I have a cage that another plumber built for one out of copper, and when you see it, you'll be impressed with how he did it.

I'll take pictures tomorrow when I find it. Guy was creative.

But if I make something I'll post it, you can copy off the design and save your money. I got a real problem with Lenox tools not standing behind a warranty on any of their products. Cheap *******s. Come find me so we can talk Lenox.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
I used that same rig for a while ,,, Just no real place to put anything . Now i use an MC tank with smaller turbo tip . Got a BIG carry tool type bag @ HD ,,, Have the MC tank laying in there , flux , solder and a bunch of other stuff . Copper fittings in parachute bag(s) . Easy to carry everything .

Of all things, a Lenox rep at a supply house gave me hell for turning an MC tank sideways... said it was dangerous. Of course, he was trying to sell me something to keep it upright.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Of all things, a Lenox rep at a supply house gave me hell for turning an MC tank sideways... said it was dangerous. Of course, he was trying to sell me something to keep it upright.
Did he say how it's dangerous or why ??? I guess several years of doing it my way must just be lucky living by me ,,,:whistling2: Don't ya just LOVE an A**HOLE who has never done our work but knows EVERYTHING ! ?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts