Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few years weve had to buy around 3 new sets of hardwood floors do to the 3/8 pex supply line blowing off the stop. We now just use braided supplies. I was wondering what you guys were using?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Braided supplies here.

·
master of disaster
758 Posts
if its a nice place-chrome plate copper. if its a dump-braided-wam bam thankya mam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no plastic or pex supply lines-thats a no! no!

·
Registered
843 Posts
I used to use the PEX ones, and sometimes PB. Never had one blow off or any problems. But I switched to braided completely about a year and a half ago. I always try to get the ones that are actually SS braid, and not plastic. And I try to keep enough on hand to have the closest size possible to what I need.

To be fair, I've seen them fail, too. Had to go out in the middle of the night once because a 3/8" nut split - whoever put it on must have cinched it down pretty hard.

And what's with people who can make a stainless braid look like it's been put in a vise? I've seen 'em with three or four bad kinks.

I still have some of the PEX tubes on board, but just don't see the need to use them.

Edited to add: I also have chrome tubes handy for exposed sinks and commercial toilets.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Pex supplies in cabinets c/p supplies exposed.

Seems most of you use braided 15 or so yrs ago I changed out hundreds of those because the inside was breaking down and putting black specks in the water have they stopped doing that or do we know?

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Seems most of you use braided 15 or so yrs ago I changed out hundreds of those because the inside was breaking down and putting black specks in the water have they stopped doing that or do we know?
Black rubber isn't used in them...
Hasn't been used for ages...

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
I like the kind that don't leak. Have a few problems with the odd ball ones that HOs pick up from lowes of HD. Seems that the paint they put on them isn't worth a shiot. You know, the ones that are not a 3/8 OD, but 3/8 ID. You torque those *****es out, and they still drip. Brushed nickel, ORB, Satin, they all suck. I hate them, almost as much as I hate Rap music.

·
Registered
500 Posts
No braided hoses here. Just don't like the look and if the HO ever decides to mess with something theres a better chance that they'll mess it up and I'll get a call.

"I put it back just like it was, but I can't get it to stop leaking"

Only cp for exposed or rough copper in a cabinet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Black rubber isn't used in them...
Hasn't been used for ages...
are you saying that it used to be black rubber?
I seem to remember them being clear and for some reason it was breaking down or rotting some how and putting small black spots in the water. Since I don't use them I was wondering if they were still having that problem? Kind of seems like you are calling me out ... like you think I am making this up. Not the case!Changed them out in a number of high rises in the Maryland area 20 or so years ago.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
The material used in the construction of these supplies has changed considerably since the early ones.

Many of them are now using Santoprene Tubing...
No Black Spots!

While I have on occaision called people out in online forums this was not one of those moments...

Why... Wanna make something of it?:laughing:

1 - 20 of 116 Posts