Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

21 - 40 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Since the Skills USA organization has been holding plumbing contest the majority of the 1st place winners have come from the North East states and the North midwest. I have been all over this country and by far the best plumbing seems to come from the northern states. Not sure why. Maybe it's because we have been at it longer and we have freezing temperatures to deal with. There are two places I would put way at the bottom of the list though. California, which boasts some of the sloppiest and worst plumbing I have ever seen and Florida where it seems like slap it in and get out is the order of the day. Now, if you happen to be a plumber from either of those states I am going to assume that you are the exception to my observations and are doing work that is absolutely spectacular in every way and should be held up as an example to all the hacks that are dragging your fine reputation down :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I stopped hiring navy yard plumbers because they couldn't handle residential plumbing or even most commercial because they never work with the stuff that is common to res and comm.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Ya all are gonna laugh when I tell you my answer! So let me preface it by I am licensed in 3 states and this being one of them!

They allow only individualy vented fixtures! A few but very few common vent exceptions! The water line sizing is automatically 3/4 or larger at 3rd fixture! The hanger spacing charts require more hangers than I am accustomed to using! To be honest they are old school and IMHO it is a better system.

The Commonwealth of Kentucky

·
Registered
77 Posts
Florida has some of the highest standards in building code thanks to hurricane Andrew. The entire construction industry was raised to a higher standard after hurricane Andrew. Florida and California have the hardest master plumber exam in the US and Canada. Shark bytes rule!

Sent from my iPhone using PlumbingZone

·
super pooper plumber
314 Posts
funny cuz ive been in texas for about 5 years now.. got 8 years in CA (northern mostly) i think cali is a bit more strict on their codes and feel like out there they know more about oldskool tricks to troubleshoot problems.. seems since ive been in Houston ive been more of the Mentor role, other that a few (that are 3 times my age) it feels like here in houston i work with a lot of salesmen rather than plumbers o_O

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
funny cuz ive been in texas for about 5 years now.. got 8 years in CA (northern mostly) i think cali is a bit more strict on their codes and feel like out there they know more about oldskool tricks to troubleshoot problems.. seems since ive been in Houston ive been more of the Mentor role, other that a few (that are 3 times my age) it feels like here in houston i work with a lot of salesmen rather than plumbers o_O
You are not working for the right company.:)check out local 68

·
super pooper plumber
314 Posts
You are not working for the right company.:)check out local 68
o_O omg thats like a block from my house... never been much of a union guy and i got less than a year im going for my masters and plan to start my own Gig.. :) but you in houston also ?

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
The Mississippian in me would like to think your wrong but you may be right with these numbers. That still doesn't mean there are no great plumbers here you just made a broad sweeping statement.
Okay... Well keep thinking then... :laughing:

I'll see that and raise you a job in Darien.... :thumbup:

Mmmmm Worms... Catchen them all...

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
o_O omg thats like a block from my house... never been much of a union guy and i got less than a year im going for my masters and plan to start my own Gig.. :) but you in houston also ?
I work for a large company in the houston area, but I'm located in Dallas.

21 - 40 of 167 Posts