Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Phat Cat said:
Welcome to PZ!

#1 - I like that, but it's all relative. I.E. #1 in, say Mississippi, may be like being #1001 in Illinois.

I don't want to be the best - I want to make the most money! That there is the secret. Screw bragging rights. :)
Why would you think Illinois plumbers are that much better than Mississippi plumbers .

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Why would you think Illinois plumbers are that much better than Mississippi plumbers .
The other night when they were talking about the impact of Hurricane Isaac, they rated the states in the path, based upon building standards. Mississippi was the lowest rated due to their standards in building. They received a score of 4 out of 100.

If standards there are that low, I can only imagine what one considers a plumber in that state. I chose Illinois as a comparison because they have a strong Union presence there and they have apprenticeship training that is regulated with classroom training, along with field experience.

"Isaac could test Gulf Coast construction standards. One study by the Insurance Institute for Business Home & Safety rated these standards in 18 hurricane-prone states, from Maine to Texas. Florida scored high, a 95 out of 100; Louisiana, 73.

But Alabama scored 18, and Mississippi scored the lowest - four out of 100."

·
Banned
8,892 Posts
Having worked extensively in Mississippi after Hurricane Katrina, I think poverty is the biggest issue.

Most of the homes we worked on were cobbled back together with what was available to us, which wasn't much.

·
8,104 Posts
IMO it would indicate that building codes in Mississippi are influenced by builders to keep building cost down. That would not be a good indicator of the skill of a plumber. If they use IPC , the plumbing standard would be the same as any other state that adopted the IPC.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Phat Cat said:
The other night when they were talking about the impact of Hurricane Isaac, they rated the states in the path, based upon building standards. Mississippi was the lowest rated due to their standards in building. They received a score of 4 out of 100.

If standards there are that low, I can only imagine what one considers a plumber in that state. I chose Illinois as a comparison because they have a strong Union presence there and they have apprenticeship training that is regulated with classroom training, along with field experience.

"Isaac could test Gulf Coast construction standards. One study by the Insurance Institute for Business Home & Safety rated these standards in 18 hurricane-prone states, from Maine to Texas. Florida scored high, a 95 out of 100; Louisiana, 73.

The Mississippian in me would like to think your wrong but you may be right with these numbers. That still doesn't mean there are no great plumbers here you just made a broad sweeping statement.

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
The Mississippian in me would like to think your wrong but you may be right with these numbers. That still doesn't mean there are no great plumbers here you just made a broad sweeping statement.
I agree, there are great plumbers everywhere. Some areas are known to have 'better' plumbers on average, than other areas. Access to apprenticeship schools and training has to have an impact.

I have hired Master Plumbers and Journeyman plumbers from various states. The skill level from one to the next was noticeable. It does all depend on the teacher and the student. If you live in a state that does not care enough to enforce standards, Masters in that state could be less inclined to teach code to those that come after them.

As for adopting IPC - if a state does not enforce inspections, the adoption means little to nothing. I live in an area that has adopted the IPC, and I have seen inspected work that DOES NOT meet code. I stand by my earlier statement regarding skill level.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Airgap said:
I read the info there about the only trade in Mississippi required to pass an exam was a general. Well I have no clue why I had to have a full financial audit and disclosure pass 100 question test on the 2008 icc plumbing. 75 question 08 fuel gas and 50 question business law exam. Then all info went to state board for approval I guess I dreamed all that up

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Suggestion: Can we split the thread (Post 33) where it was asked why I thought Miss. plumbers were not as good as Illinois plumbers?

This way, MasterPlumber#1 will have is intro thread back. We can call it, "What State has the Best Plumbers?

·
Banned
8,892 Posts
Washington has the best Plumbers.

How could we not have the best Plumbers when we Plumb with a far superior code?

1 - 20 of 167 Posts