Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Arp
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am re-locating two 40 gallons from the kitch in the first level and second level to the basment. I am trying to firure out what size flue pipe to use the total run is 40 feet. the entire run will be vertical except at the flue. would it pass code with a 4 in double wall or would it be safer to just go with a 5 in. any replies greatly appreciated?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
How about an intro from you in the intro forum.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I have seen flexible dryer vent screwed to the draft hood. That way you don't have to worry about those pesky fittings.

Or, you could relocate the heaters outside. No worries about venting then. Just a little somethin to keep the rain out and Viola!

Edit: OK I just checked in my code book. 6" triple wall stainless should do the trick.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
I have seen flexible dryer vent screwed to the draft hood. That way you don't have to worry about those pesky fittings.

Or, you could relocate the heaters outside. No worries about venting then. Just a little somethin to keep the rain out and Viola!

Edit: OK I just checked in my code book. 6" triple wall stainless should do the trick.
I saw this a few months back. I asked the ho how many people in her family had been suffering from chronic headaches. Her jaw dropped.

Not only was it a flexible dryer vent but it was run in an s-trap.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rule of thumb:
The square root of the squares.
If you have two 4" vents tying together and mostly a vertical run.

4x4=16
4x4=16
= 32
Square root of 32 is just under 6......6" flue

·
Registered
57 Posts
Rule of thumb:
The square root of the squares.
If you have two 4" vents tying together and mostly a vertical run.

4x4=16
4x4=16
= 32
Square root of 32 is just under 6......6" flue
California Plumbing Code or UPC says vent shall not be smaller than the largest vent, plus 50% of the additional vent. For 2- 4" vents
4x4=16
4x4=16~2= 8
16+8= 24
5x5=25 5" vent is adequate for gravity type appliances.
Don't use this for fan induced vents (fan forced)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts