Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Service Plumber
199 Posts
gaining knowledge costs, so if you gained much knowledge from that deal, in the end its worth it to you..only you can make that determination if it paid off or not...
I really believe it did because when I started my own business I hit the ground running and haven't slowed down since.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,498 Posts
I really believe it did because when I started my own business I hit the ground running and haven't slowed down since.

You are better off doing your own thing instead of selling your card and working for another business.....
I wish I could have been standing over a few bosses I knew just to watch and learn from their mistakes.....

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
You are better off doing your own thing instead of selling your card and working for another business.....
I wish I could have been standing over a few bosses I knew just to watch and learn from their mistakes.....
when I worked for bosses I watched how they ran their businesses and asked questions about how they ran stuff, I tried to take the best from each place and put a plan together that worked for me...I have no regrets decades later....I still made some small mistakes, but they were kept small from what I learned from previous employers who made the BIG$$$ mistakes...

·
Super Moderator
8,359 Posts

Selling my card hmmm, it would have to be in excess of several 100K a year. About learning about bosses I learned by watching them on how not to act like jerk kings. Still it's not the same domain as what I used to do back then. The next best thing was to learn stuff on PZ. Thanks!

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,498 Posts
Selling my card hmmm, it would have to be in excess of several 100K a year. About learning about bosses I learned by watching them on how not to act like jerk kings. Still it's not the same domain as what I used to do back then. The next best thing was to learn stuff on PZ. Thanks!
Something I could never learn was to be an ass/ole to everyone.... I have seen very rare cases of it and I
never understood what kept their employees coming in every week for more abuse..:rolleyes::rolleyes:.... .

I always wondered how commercial companies bid huge jobs and I never did get into the inner circle to learn how
they did this , unless they just threw a number at the wall and hoped that it stuck, I am sure their were using bidding
programs and hoped to let it crunch the package for them and succeed with... .

I did watch some big companies gambling on huge jobs hoping that at the end
of the trail they would come out winning big--- and basically most ended up
eating their shorts and blaming everyone but their own estimation skills...

In our town, Legend has it
that the commercial company who did Lucas Oil stadium in town was already 300k in the hole
just on the copper bid alone before they ever signed the contract to do the whole job....

Estimation skills seemed to be a closely guarded secret they would never divulge unless
they were just feeding you a line of crap so you would some day fail

and THAT is why I only do service work.... .

·
Super Moderator
8,359 Posts
Something I could never learn was to be an ass/ole to everyone.... I have seen very rare cases of it and I
never understood what kept their employees coming in every week for more abuse..:rolleyes::rolleyes:.... .

I always wondered how commercial companies bid huge jobs and I never did get into the inner circle to learn how
they did this , unless they just threw a number at the wall and hoped that it stuck, I am sure their were using bidding
programs and hoped to let it crunch the package for them and succeed with... .

I did watch some big companies gambling on huge jobs hoping that at the end
of the trail they would come out winning big--- and basically most ended up
eating their shorts and blaming everyone but their own estimation skills...

In our town, Legend has it
that the commercial company who did Lucas Oil stadium in town was already 300k in the hole
just on the copper bid alone before they ever signed the contract to do the whole job....

Estimation skills seemed to be a closely guarded secret they would never divulge unless
they were just feeding you a line of crap so you would some day fail

and THAT is why I only do service work.... .
Employees go back to those A-holes because they are soft cookies, no spine. They love to biatch and moan but they are chi Wawa's.

Those companies that underbid usually try to get all the extras to make up for it. They also cheat by installing cheaper pipe or the wrong faucets than they were supposed to or make their champion employees work nights and weekends for a new pair of boots. Or they prefab most of the pipes off site with minimum wage joes who don't need to be plumbers. One company I worked for brought in a whole van load from the states with plumbing supplies that were cheaper than the supply houses.

Plus over here everyone is union by law so it's easy to quote bids for labor purposes, everyone has to pay the same paycheck for the guys.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I don’t think you’ll have much liability just being the principle master. It’s just a sway for the plumbing board to limit who can open a plumbing business. I think that’s the intent of the law. The company is required to be bonded with the city most likely. I would probably want to be added to the companies Insurance liability policy and city bond. This way if they drop their insurance they are required to notify you in writing.

BUT, I’m a plumber, not a lawyer. ✌🤷‍♂️👍

Limit? You ok with non licensed plumbing companies?

·
Registered
Master Plumber
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Ok... so I was able to find out from the current master what the company was paying him and it was less than I had expected, but I got the impression that he’s just had the same deal since the 80’s and never had the balls to ask for more. On the other hand I also had a conversation with the president of the company and he offered me a substantial raise to make sure I was willing to stick around and be “on deck” for when the current guy decides to retire. Then when he finally rides off into the sunset they will give me another substantial pay bump and a management position. Also talked to a lawyer friend and he informed me that the corporation would cover me from any personal financial liability from the company and I would just have to make sure that I was the person managing all the other plumbers, apprentices, permits and inspections.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Ok... so I was able to find out from the current master what the company was paying him and it was less than I had expected, but I got the impression that he’s just had the same deal since the 80’s and never had the balls to ask for more. On the other hand I also had a conversation with the president of the company and he offered me a substantial raise to make sure I was willing to stick around and be “on deck” for when the current guy decides to retire. Then when he finally rides off into the sunset they will give me another substantial pay bump and a management position. Also talked to a lawyer friend and he informed me that the corporation would cover me from any personal financial liability from the company and I would just have to make sure that I was the person managing all the other plumbers, apprentices, permits and inspections.
get it in writting and have it go through your personal lawyer..or it doesnt exist.....

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you are going to be the Master plumber for the company, you MUST have an attorney draw up a hold harmless agreement AND either carry your own liability insurance or have an umbrella policy. As the Master plumber YOU are responsible for the work being done and will be part of any suit brought against the company. Even if you never saw the job sight you are responsible. If the company is large enough, they could be taking out permits and completing projects without your knowledge or input, but in the final analysis you are the fall guy. Never trust someone's promises since circumstances change, people retire or die, leave companies for various reasons, or never fulfill commitments. Awritten contract, professionally prepared, could save you a lot of money.

All of the above are reasons to be well compensated for your expenses and efforts. If they won't sign a hold harmless agreement, then you do not want the deal. A Master's license makes you the expert as well as the one responsible for the work done. A judge won't care that someone else did the work that caused the damage to the building or started the fire that burned it down. If you are the license holder it is your fault! And the company that you work for may have "forgotten" to renew their insurance, or are filing for a bankruptcy or any other of a hundred problems that leave you holding the bag.

You might as well find a good attorney now. If your ever going to go into business you will need an attorney, a CPA and a good insurance agent. You might as well start the search now.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts