21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Master Plumber
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Is this “Steve from Florida”?
I’m from MA
in my area its illegal for a master plumber to cover other people under the license..UNLESS..you are the employing master plumber and whoever does plumbing work in the company is YOUR employee..and YOU are responsible for everything they do....so whats that worth for your aggravation and liability exposure..
this is very similar to the proposed situation I am asking about. Every permit, inspection, journeyman, and apprentice that works for the company would be filed/working under the supervision of my license. With that being said, the company is a great one that I enjoy working for. They have a high standard of quality and respect for following rules like license to apprentice radio, making sure all jobs have the proper permits and inspections. But at the end of the day there is a reasonable liability that would fall on me and I think that’s probably worth something significant.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
I’m from MA

this is very similar to the proposed situation I am asking about. Every permit, inspection, journeyman, and apprentice that works for the company would be filed/working under the supervision of my license. With that being said, the company is a great one that I enjoy working for. They have a high standard of quality and respect for following rules like license to apprentice radio, making sure all jobs have the proper permits and inspections. But at the end of the day there is a reasonable liability that would fall on me and I think that’s probably worth something significant.
why did the last guy with a license leave the company???

·
Banned
361 Posts
I don’t think you’ll have much liability just being the principle master. It’s just a sway for the plumbing board to limit who can open a plumbing business. I think that’s the intent of the law. The company is required to be bonded with the city most likely. I would probably want to be added to the companies Insurance liability policy and city bond. This way if they drop their insurance they are required to notify you in writing.

BUT, I’m a plumber, not a lawyer. ✌🤷‍♂️👍

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,601 Posts
I had a similar arrangement with a company so I can tell you first hand whatever you agree to get it in writing, if it is not in writing then it didn't happen. Due to the continued lies and "smoke blowing" I finally left that company and started my own.
I do not know the laws there but here when the business was operating under my license I was legally responsible for the actions of everyone working for the company.
I would tell them to double your current salary and for every permit pulled under your license you receive an additional 10% of the total project. You may work for a rare company that will take care of you but most will only use you up and spit you out.

so how much money did they pay you for the privdledge of using your card?

You ought to get something for pulling permits alone, and of course you probably
would want to be allowed to inspect whatever work is being done with your card.....

I totally agree with you that most companies will chew you up and spit you out .....
most will pay your price until they find someone cheaper....

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
The current master is getting old and has some health issues. The company wants to have their ducks in a row to make sure that they are prepared of something was to happen.
where you friendly with or even knew the guy?? if so go ask him what the deal was for $$ his license..its just sounding a bit detached on what your saying ...if you worked for the company for some time, you should know who the licensed master was,and the first thing I would do in your position s to talk with that guy to get both sides of the story and what agreements they had...long before asking on a random forum...

·
Registered
Service Plumber
218 Posts
so how much money did they pay you for the privdledge of using your card?

You ought to get something for pulling permits alone, and of course you probably
would want to be allowed to inspect whatever work is being done with your card.....

I totally agree with you that most companies will chew you up and spit you out .....
most will pay your price until they find someone cheaper....
I had a verbal agreement with the owner that I thought was a friend, He was supposed to be retiring and I was going to run the business, I went ahead and put the business under my license so that he wouldn't have to close and we were supposed to be making all of the legal arrangements. I guess in that regard I am a slow learner (I always want to be able to trust people until they give me a reason not to), it took me two years to realize that he had no intentions of honoring his promise. That is why I say have everything in writing (legally) before putting the business under your license.

·
Registered
Master Plumber
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
where you friendly with or even knew the guy?? if so go ask him what the deal was for $$ his license..its just sounding a bit detached on what your saying ...if you worked for the company for some time, you should know who the licensed master was,and the first thing I would do in your position s to talk with that guy to get both sides of the story and what agreements they had...long before asking on a random forum...
I really wish I could. I’ve only met the guy once at a company holiday party years ago. He doesn’t really spend any time at the office. Everything he does is done remotely. I have asked a few guys I know and respect in the trade to get their take on the situation too.

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
I had a deal in L.A. CA. in which I was a full partner worked my ass off for 6 years when I started getting DISABLED
so we had a board meeting and the other members allowed that as I could not work full time anymore that my Salary
should be cut, and I could be paid hourly for the days that I could make it in to the shop, or release me completely

·
7,601 Posts
I had a verbal agreement with the owner that I thought was a friend, He was supposed to be retiring and I was going to run the business, I went ahead and put the business under my license so that he wouldn't have to close and we were supposed to be making all of the legal arrangements. I guess in that regard I am a slow learner (I always want to be able to trust people until they give me a reason not to), it took me two years to realize that he had no intentions of honoring his promise. That is why I say have everything in writing (legally) before putting the business under your license.
I am sorry to hear about the hard lesson you had to learn..... school of hard knocks teaches best I guess..
I suppose you lent him your card for free but its no great loss if you learned something from this..
I have been burned in business a number of times by builders and I dont deal with any of the skumbags any longer
but I had to learn this while treading water and trying to find my nitch...

Do you know what the jewish word for /uck you is ??? ------Trust me.......:D:D:ROFLMAO:

·
7,601 Posts
I had a deal in L.A. CA. in which I was a full partner worked my ass off for 6 years when I started getting DISABLED
so we had a board meeting and the other members allowed that as I could not work full time anymore that my Salary
should be cut, and I could be paid hourly for the days that I could make it in to the shop, or release me completely
Sorry to hear what happenned to you ... it goes on everywhere..
so did you come into the shop for hourly or
did they put you out to pasture???

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
I really wish I could. I’ve only met the guy once at a company holiday party years ago. He doesn’t really spend any time at the office. Everything he does is done remotely. I have asked a few guys I know and respect in the trade to get their take on the situation too.
grow a pair of balls and call the guy...what are you afraid of...he may tell you all the dirt or its the greatest deal..thats who you MUST talk to..

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
I am sorry to hear about the hard lesson you had to learn..... school of hard knocks teaches best I guess..
I suppose you lent him your card for free but its no great loss if you learned something from this..
I have been burned in business a number of times by builders and I dont deal with any of the skumbags any longer

Do you know what the jewish word for /uck you is ??? ------Trust me.......:D:D:ROFLMAO:
lmao.....they found a jewish indian tribe in north America..they are the sues......:D:D:D:D

·
7,601 Posts
lmao.....they found a jewish indian tribe in north America..they are the sues......:D:D:D:D

I am only familiar with the lost tribes of Israel, I had trusted them many times
in my younger years and I always got screwed .... so I learned to just say NO THANKS
I dont need to be your gentile chump

I dont have any experience with the native american sues.......

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
I am only familiar with the lost tribes of Israel, I had trusted them many times
in my younger years and I always got screwed .... so I learned to just say NO THANKS
I dont need to be your gentile chump

I dont have any experience with the native american sues.......
your not a tribe member......your werent wearing the secret hat....

·
Registered
Service Plumber
218 Posts

I am not sorry, the two years that I spent trying to better his business and make it more profitable while he was using my license was giving me way more business knowledge than I would have been if I were on my own and that was invaluable.
After I began to realize that he was feeding me a big ol pile of BS I spent the next 8 months on his dime making preparations to start my own business. I pulled my license about a week before I quit and the day I walked out I went to my very first job completely legal and in business for myself.
Sometimes when I think about it I do kinda feel like a sucker but most times I know that because of everything that happened I didn't just walk out with a head full of steam and nowhere to go.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
I am not sorry, the two years that I spent trying to better his business and make it more profitable while he was using my license was giving me way more business knowledge than I would have been if I were on my own and that was invaluable.
After I began to realize that he was feeding me a big ol pile of BS I spent the next 8 months on his dime making preparations to start my own business. I pulled my license about a week before I quit and the day I walked out I went to my very first job completely legal and in business for myself.
Sometimes when I think about it I do kinda feel like a sucker but most times I know that because of everything that happened I didn't just walk out with a head full of steam and nowhere to go.
gaining knowledge costs, so if you gained much knowledge from that deal, in the end its worth it to you..only you can make that determination if it paid off or not...

21 - 40 of 51 Posts