Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone! I currently use a regular propane torch can with a regular torch head by benzomatic I think... but I have been looking at the air acetylene torches? the ones that use the b tank,, but they are expensive... are they worth the money and if so what brand and what kind of tips to I need. I will just be using these to sweat copper pipe and once in a while brazing. thank you so much for you time

·
Super Moderator
12,464 Posts
Hello! Introduction Requested
An intro is requested from all new members. In case you missed it, here is the link. http://www.plumbingzone.com/f3/.

The PZ is for Plumbing Professionals ( those engaged in the plumbing profession)

Post an intro and tell our members where you are from, yrs in the trade, and your area(s) of expertise in the plumbing field.

This info helps members who are waiting to welcome you to the best plumbing site there is.

We look forward to your valuable input.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I bought an acetylene turbo torch and I don't think I will ever use anything else.

It's a different kind of heat, more precise.
The bernzomatic mapp torches are great if you're doing something quick, don't get me wrong.
My favorite part about the turbo torch is putting the little tip on for replacing shower valves.
I don't burn wood or drywall at all anymore.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
that torch in the link has an adjustable flame, not too bad, I always have a squirt bottle of water..just in case..for over 20 years I humped around a btank and turbo torch, you are right about the small tips and once in a blue moon now I could use one, but the water does the trick..

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
mapp and propane work on the same torch, propane alot cheaper, If I have any lines with water the mapp comes out, otherwise, the propane is good with a turbo tip...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Very true! Brazes 3/4 5/8 no problem and solders easy up to 2" tho

Brazing is really a b tank operation and I would say even 2" and up should be with a b tank

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
you just have to be careful with acetylene, if you draw it out of the tank too fast you pull the acetone also and bad things happen then, and in the real cold you get the yellow powder coming out...but always a good back up for the big fittings...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts