Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am a 4th year plumber in Canada and before I become a journeyman I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to which kind of plumbing pays best? I’ve work both residential and commercial plumbing, with 2 years of experience in both, and in my opinion I would say that commercial pays better than residential, generally speaking. I keep getting the impression that service plumbing pays best though. Is this the case? Or is there another aspect of plumbing that pays even better such as boiler techs, plumbing inspectors, drain cleaners, etc.…
Any advice or opinion would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking as an employee as opposed to running a business.
I guess for the inspecting part I was wondering if anyone feels it's worth the effort. There is a demand for plumbing inspectors in my area and they have even reduced the number of years experience required to qualify but it would still be lot of effort to take that route.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When you say commercial do you mean new construction? Because service companies do commercial work too, but not usually new construction unless it's a huge company.

While I've never done commercial myself (other than repairs) I would assume there's a limit to the pay scale whereas many service companies will give you a commission on certain sales, if that's your thing.

I would also day it depends on the company you work for as well. Not everyone pays the same.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I was thinking as an employee as opposed to running a business.
I guess for the inspecting part I was wondering if anyone feels it's worth the effort. There is a demand for plumbing inspectors in my area and they have even reduced the number of years experience required to qualify but it would still be lot of effort to take that route.
We can tell you don't like to put in a lot of effort since you didn't post a proper intro in the introduction section.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
First off, learn every aspect you can. Where I am, and have been service payed best, but you were on call at least 2 nights a week. Usually the day is not done until the board is clear.
Also service equals **** on you, nasty houses, ******* customers, DIYers, unknown hours, sometimes unknown income.

Weigh the advantages and disadvantages. Gain experience on a wide range of plumbing and go with what you enjoy. Take care of your body. Save and invest so you can retire at 55 because plumbing beats you down.

Just my .02 pre tax

·
Registered
668 Posts
Where is your introduction op??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts