Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Banned
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a policy that allows a HO to purchase their own garbage disposal if they wish. We do not volunteer this information, but if they already bought it and want us to install it- hey! no big deal.

After our company meeting, our boss made a new rule- No Waste Kings! Period! We do not install them, We do not touch them unless we are removing it and pitching it in the garbage. I must say I agree, I always thought they were a piece of Sh*t disposal anyways.

What is your take on Waste Kings?

·
Drained Professional
842 Posts
Same here. Was back in the 90's and they seemed ok. A bit noisy but seemed to work well.
Last fall I trashed an old Waste King and replaced it with a 1hp ISE (I forget the model but it was a decent one) and was kinda pissed when I first energised it. "Damn!" I thought until I realised that it was running but it was just that quiet!

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Same here. Was back in the 90's and they seemed ok. A bit noisy but seemed to work well.
Last fall I trashed an old Waste King and replaced it with a 1hp ISE (I forget the model but it was a decent one) and was kinda pissed when I first energised it. "Damn!" I thought until I realised that it was running but it was just that quiet!
I remember that same thing happening on my first ISE Evolution installation... :laughing:

The damn thing was too quiet to be running...

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
The reason waste kings are noisey is it hits 2700 rpm immediately insinkerators run at 1400 rpm and it hits it gradual.
Supposedly they are more powerful.

·
Banned
8,892 Posts
Waste Kings are too bulky, loud and the finish on the shoe will scratch and flake off if you look at it sideways.

Not to mention you're relying only on an over-sized hose clamp to keep them in place.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Have removed several of the many different labled versions of the Waste King. There method they use to connect to a sink bothers me. Don't seem like a quality unit to me.

No one compares to the I.S.E. as far as I can tell. Why would you want to install anything else?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Waste Kings are too bulky, loud and the finish on the shoe will scratch and flake off if you look at it sideways.

Not to mention you're relying only on an over-sized hose clamp to keep them in place.
ISE is only held up with the rubber strainer gasket too, if you think about it. That rubber just snaps on to a lip on very top of disposal, and then the turn ring just pulls it up to seal, on metal sink flange.

I been using Waste Kings now for about 2yrs & thought the same things you all think. But ISE in my opinion has gotten way too expensive. I still install alot of ISE, but I make more money on the WK. Alot of service calls I go on, the customer don't want to spend $250 just for a disposal.

I can buy a 1 HP Waste king with life time warranty for about $150, and I don't even have to put the damn electrical cord on it, cuz it comes with it connected already.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Ise is only held up with the rubber strainer gasket too, if you think about it. That rubber just snaps on to a lip on very top of disposal, and then the turn ring just pulls it up to seal, on metal sink flange.

I been using Waste Kings now for about 2yrs & thought the same things you all think. But ISE in my opinion has gotten way too expensive. I still install alot of ISE, but I make more money on the WK. Alot of service calls I go on, the customer don't want to spend $250 just for a disposal.

I can buy a 1 HP Waste king with life time warranty for about $150, and I don't even have to put the damn electrical cord on it, cuz it comes with it connected already.

Do what you gotta do I suppose, but I won't even offer anything less than a I.S.E. If a person can't afford my prices for a I.S.E. Badger then they are not someone who I would want to work for. I personally prefer people who can afford to buy good products, and pay the bill at the end of the job without trying to make payment arrangements.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Do what you gotta do I suppose, but I won't even offer anything less than a I.S.E. If a person can't afford my prices for a I.S.E. Badger then they are not someone who I would want to work for. I personally prefer people who can afford to buy good products, and pay the bill at the end of the job without trying to make payment arrangements.
If a person don't want to spend alot of money on a disposal, it doesn't always mean they don't have the money, it's just not important to them.

My whole point is, I have had no problems with WK, & don't feel that it is much less superior in quality than the ISE. I carry both WK & ISE and give the customer a choice.

I put a WK in a basement kitchen last week. The customer only uses the kitchen occassionally. They don't want a $300 disposal, & I gave them a disposal with an 8yr warranty, for the price of a Badger 5.

Believe me, I been doin this over 30 yrs. I know what type of people can afford my services. I give them options. I just replaced a Badger 5 that was in my basement kitchen for 18yrs. I got no issues with that unit, except they only have a 2yr warranty, & you gotta supply & install the power cord too. I carry a Badger 1 & 5 in my truck.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Ive seen p.o.s. disposals before. I think both waste king and ISE are not in that category but at the bottom end prices their cheapest ones arent great. Even the insinkerater isnt great they are kind of marginal.
But who the hell cares? If you guys are gona install owner supplied stuff then why would your boss care? Will you install any other cheapie disposal but not a waste king?
Back to your question though my opinion on Waste King is they are ok. I definately prefer ISE Mainly because Ive installed more than hundred for every other brand. I prefer to work on a Chevy but I dont think that a ford is a total P.O.S
How about Faucets do you install Delta but Refuse MOEN? Just wondering To me it all pays the same. Sure I prefer Kohler but Ill install American Standard.
If you ever do Construction and you get a big job you install whats in contract.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.