Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
STOP...there's a Fire in the garage.

Top EQ strap is in the wrong place...1/3 down.

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
Unfortunatly, even though the seismic straps looks like $hit, the code says it only needs to be installed in the top 1/3 of the tank. It is, but how could a guy walk away from this and fell good about the job he did?

WestCoast.. I hope you offered to "clean up" this installation.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Not sure if your code requires it, but don't you need a drip leg on the gas line at the heater?

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
Drip legs are not required here, cuz we don't have a "wet" gas.

I see alot of details on plans, drawn by engineers from other states, that show drip legs, but they aren't required here.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is the water heater I took out to install the 2 tankless in the other posts.

The contractor installed this 50 gallon regular water heater for a 4 bathroom house with a large soak tub and 3/4 roman tub valve, the guy couldn't fill his tub properly.

But, on top of that, the water heater they installed is a 50 gallon regular, when they took out a 50 DIRECT VENT.

This vent is no correct, UPC states that the vent must be a minimum of 5' to flue properly, this vent is for a direct vent water heater, pulls in combustion air as it vents out the bad gases.

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
Yes Ron, no drips needed here. But I see another one....no more gate valves on tanked heaters.

So Robert....I got more of a business question.....when I walk up to a job like that it's usually "Oh Lord" or "Oh boy"....it's a natural reaction. Years ago it was "what Fing idiot did this". I have learned clients don't really appreciate that sort of thing. So what was the first thing out of your mouth when you saw this? I guess what I am getting at is I want to learn more and better ways to start off the sale when I see things like this. From a technicle standpoint, yeah it's a no brainer that it needs to be redone (tanked or tankless) but as far as getting the right seeds planted right off the bat is what I am asking about!!

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes Ron, no drips needed here. But I see another one....no more gate valves on tanked heaters.

So Robert....I got more of a business question.....when I walk up to a job like that it's usually "Oh Lord" or "Oh boy"....it's a natural reaction. Years ago it was "what Fing idiot did this". I have learned clients don't really appreciate that sort of thing. So what was the first thing out of your mouth when you saw this? I guess what I am getting at is I want to learn more and better ways to start off the sale when I see things like this. From a technicle standpoint, yeah it's a no brainer that it needs to be redone (tanked or tankless) but as far as getting the right seeds planted right off the bat is what I am asking about!!

I really don't have a technique, I learned long ago, don't bash the competition, thats about it. On this, I told the guy the next day after I sold him the tankless job. I handle each customer different because to me, no 2 customers are alike.

I never just tell a customer....oh man, this is wrong, it looks like crap, it shouldn't be this way, what idiot did this etc, even though thats what I am thinking............... I say, so this is what I have to do.....

the customer will usually say, "yeah, the last guy was an idiot", or they will usually say what I am thinking when I am done explaining what I have to do.........I have to cut this drain out because it is supposed to be installed like this, and this is the reason why it should be like this and not like this....etc.

I teach as I sell, and I don't really sell- SELL......if you get me. This also bites me in the azz, because I have tought customers how to do the job right and they have their gardner do it, but in my mind, I don't want those customers to be on my customer list anyways.

I only want customers that respect clean work and understand plumbing is a profession, not a job that people do when they can't do anything else in life.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

quote]

I agree, ball valves are standard code upgrades in my mind. Out with the old gates and in with the new balls :eek: :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts