Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
161 - 180 of 188 Posts

·
4th year apprentice
654 Posts
I absolutely love it when I pull up to a house and there is no place to park other than blocking access to the trash bins or the mailbox, and the customer gets all bent out of shape at ME for having the nerve to do so when they are the ones who called me to their home to do the job for them. Sometimes they wait to say something until after I've already started work and/or unpacked a lot of my tools. I just love, LOVE it, when it's a frantic woman or a prissy man who can't think beyond their narrow mindset, and just move the damn bins accros the street to their neighbor's for one day, or, heaven forbid skip one day of mail delivery. As far as I'm concerned not getting mail for a day is a reprieve from more bills, but these idiots act like they are missing the only pony express delivery for a month. I am far from inconsiderate about these things, and try to avoid them when possible, but sometimes there is no other choice other than walking a block away, and I ain't about to do that carrying tools and materials. Customers can be so petty and shortsighted about so many things, but this one really gets me.

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
Many years ago when I first worked for R.R. I had to park have blocking the driveway, My helper
went out to get some tools out of truck and left the rear door open, and of course the H.O. had to get his truck out and hit the door, had to drive around the rest of the day with a bungee strap holding the door closed,
Lucky the Owner had a retired truck in the back yard, to get a door !

·
4th year apprentice
654 Posts
Yeah, I just love it when I am right in the middle of a job and they tell me that I need to move my van because someone needs to get out, esp when they have an attitude about it. I used to jump right up. Now I take my sweet time. Sometimes I'll even make them ask me a second time.
When I was a second year I was too polite, and worked in a sweltering, filthy, smelly mobile home one time without complaint. Today I would tell them no way I am working in those conditions. Apparently I was too polite, since she called me back for a complaint of boiling hot water coming from her garden hose. She left it out in the baking full sun, and turned it off the second she felt the hot. I arrived and got cold water after running it a minute. I joyfully charged her the full minimum hour plus truck charge, and I did not make any attempt to cover my disgust at being called out for such a moronic issue. Apparently it worked, since I never got called back there again.
We have a dispatcher who is completely unreasonable. She'll underestimate the time it atkes to do a job and then book in another call based on that. It used to bother me, but I just do my job and finish when I finish. She never learns, and will still do it, only to have to call them and reschedule when I can't get there when she told them I would. Often she'll book them the same day only to have to call them and reschedule a few hours later. By the time I get there they are often well pissed after have been rescheduled 3 times, sometime more. I really do not like throwing my coworkers under the bus, but in this case I make it real clear that I have no control over scheduling, so at least they usually understand and are not pissed at me. Usually, but sometimes we get that one who just wants to be pissed, and they get all the reason they need after being inconvenienced several times before I get there, no matter how good a job I do. She also refuses to understand how some people will take a day off from work to be home for us when she tells them we will be there. I don't blame them one bit for being pissed.
I love it when they have to shut the light off every single phucking time I come up from the basement.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
My toolbag, my sweatbox, and a bucket.

"That's a lot of tools!"

I don't care if they're 80 years old, I smiled back like they're an idiot and say "No it's not, I can get that ll in one trip, some jobs have so many tools it takes 2 or 3 trips.". I was hot, sweaty, and tired. It was my last call.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
4th year apprentice
654 Posts
I had one guy praise me up and down, very happy with what I did, it turned out to be quicker, simpler and cheaper than he expected, but then comes time to pay and he has the nerve to say, gee, I wish that I could afford to give you a tip. He should have just kept his mouth shut and let me appreciate all his compliments.
How about the butt crack jokes? Mine never shows, but they really annoy the schitt out of me when they have to make one anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There are alot of legit complaints regarding home owners, but I would have to disagree with one that has come up a few times.

When a plumber parks behind a home owners car and get asked to move it. As a former plumber I have to agree with the home owner, it's just common sense.

Atleast in Sweden, to this day it's a rare thing to come across.

If I would have a job scheduled I would speak with the home owner (when I make an appointment), if they have a driveway make sure to drive their cars out so that I can park mine closer to the entrance, if they forgot call them or knock on the door and tell them what you've agreed upon before arrival.

Being a serviceplumber is not just knowing how to handle your job, but unfortunetly also thinking for the customer sometimes because they take things for granted, it's the difference in my opinion between being an everyday worker and someone who wants to excel further into their career.

·
Registered
Plumber
135 Posts
Always park on the street if you can. When you knock on the door and you've parked in the driveway always ask if my truck is parked okay. This will show sensitivity and also will set the call. It's never a problem to move the truck

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
There are alot of legit complaints regarding home owners, but I would have to disagree with one that has come up a few times.

When a plumber parks behind a home owners car and get asked to move it. As a former plumber I have to agree with the home owner, it's just common sense.

Atleast in Sweden, to this day it's a rare thing to come across.

If I would have a job scheduled I would speak with the home owner (when I make an appointment), if they have a driveway make sure to drive their cars out so that I can park mine closer to the entrance, if they forgot call them or knock on the door and tell them what you've agreed upon before arrival.

Being a serviceplumber is not just knowing how to handle your job, but unfortunetly also thinking for the customer sometimes because they take things for granted, it's the difference in my opinion between being an everyday worker and someone who wants to excel further into their career.
WOW 37 POSTS IN 8 YEARS !

·
Registered
Plumber
14 Posts
Mine is when a fellow has his heart set on being my "big helper". Sometimes he's just really worried about lighting, as though his greatest fear on earth is that there isn't enough light for the plumber. However I get the feeling that usually the light is more to help him see than to help me see. He's either blazing a flashlight in my eyes, or he has some big DeWalt tree stand that looks like he stole it from a Coast Guard search and rescue ship, giving off so much heat I need sun screen. Typically this big helper likes to follow me around the house, up the stairs when I get something from my truck, then back down into the basement. I'm getting pretty crusty lately so a lot of times I just turn his giant spotlight away and tell him it's blinding me, and go for extra trips up and down the stairs to see if I can wear his old ass out. Most of the time they can't keep pace, and end up pulling up their lawn chair to supervise the plumbing from a few feet away.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
  • Wow
Reactions: MACPLUMB777
161 - 180 of 188 Posts