Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I got to a job today to replace some Grohe shower stems, I pulled off both hot and cold trims to replace them and looked at my “new” stems. Damn, one looks used. Sure enough some dip$hit must’ve returned a used stem to save himself a couple bucks and the counter guy didn’t catch it. I’m also kicking myself because I usually check before I leave the supply house.
Are people that hard up they need to get over on the supply house for a $14 stem?

On a side note, @bawalter are these your stems that you manufacture? The one that was new seemed good quality.

·
Super Moderator
8,872 Posts
I got to a job today to replace some Grohe shower stems, I pulled off both hot and cold trims to replace them and looked at my “new” stems. Damn, one looks used. Sure enough some dip$hit must’ve returned a used stem to save himself a couple bucks and the counter guy didn’t catch it. I’m also kicking myself because I usually check before I leave the supply house.
Are people that hard up they need to get over on the supply house for a $14 stem?

On a side note, @bawalter are these your stems that you manufacture? The one that was new seemed good quality.
I've had a few customers who were caught in this situation, kitchen faucet where the cartridge was replaced with an old one. Another time a toilet was missing parts and a broken top.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I got to a job today to replace some Grohe shower stems,............
Those are Barry Walter stems.

You can probably get ceramic replacements for those. I always suggest to customers that they do it soon because the "seats" usually aren't replaceable. Even if they're removable the brand usually won't sell you replacements. They're not the same as the small replaceable faucet seats we're used to.

The "seats" in these are the same surface the ceramic stems seal against and once they're scored from use with compression stems you can't always get the ceramic stems to seal on them.

UPDATE

I looked through the catalog and there is a replaceable seat available. I don't know if that's applicable for all of their shower valves though. I have seen two handle kitchen faucets with compression stems just like those but with shorter top portions, I usually replace those with ceramic stems and I have yet to see replaceable seats on one. Having never seen a two handle grohe shower with compression stems I'm not sure if they are the same.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Those are Barry Walter stems.

You can probably get ceramic replacements for those. I always suggest to customers that they do it soon because the "seats" usually aren't replaceable. Even if they're removable the brand usually won't sell you replacements. They're not the same as the small replaceable faucet seats we're used to.

The "seats" in these are the same surface the ceramic stems seal against and once they're scored from use with compression stems you can't always get the ceramic stems to seal on them.
My distributor sales guy was saying he doesn’t stock the seats because they’re pretty beefy and rarely go bad. I felt them with my finger and they felt smooth.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
My distributor sales guy was saying he doesn’t stock the seats because they’re pretty beefy and rarely go bad. I felt them with my finger and they felt smooth.
"Beefy" isn't the same as corrosion/errosion resistant. Although I would be inclined to agree they would be durable as most modern seats as far as I know seem to be a high silicon content bronze which is a much harder material than brass.

I have a handful of monel seats I save for special faucets I would like to see last much longer. I don't order them because they are 5$ a piece instead of 0.30$. I just end up with them from picking through the old parts on our shelves or with other stuff I buy from ebay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We all run into things on a regular basis that just really irritates us to no end. This little thing might make you mad as a hornet but it doesn't even phase the other guy.

The one thing that really sets me off is having to remove closet bolts where the lazy a$$, so called plumber that set the toilet didn't bother to cut the bolts properly but rather broke them off or used bolt cutters. Now you have to spend half an hour just to remove a closet bolt. :mad:

I have told everyone that works for me that if they were caught doing that they would be fired on the spot.

What is that really sets you off?
What is your opinion on bolt cutters to closet bolts?
I don’t care which method they use to cut off closet bolts, as long as they use a nut washer at the flange as well. As long as the closet bolt is secured to the flange, the top nut will come off without trouble, and also recut the threads where the cut was made.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I don’t care which method they use to cut off closet bolts, as long as they use a nut washer at the flange as well. As long as the closet bolt is secured to the flange, the top nut will come off without trouble, and also recut the threads where the cut was made.
Try set-fast joni bolts, I use them all the time and haven't cut a joni bolt on a toilet in years. They have a T nut that won't spin in the flange and the threaded portion is removable/adjustable.

I think most of the time nutting down regular joni bolts is unnecessary but I have done it on occasion, mostly when the concrete/wood is missing directly below the joni bolt head and it's wants to fall down. It's why I save some of the extra 5/16" thin brass nuts that come with the 3 bolt tank/bowl seal kits. If you need a longer joni bolt you can shave two sides of the head of a tank bolt btw. Or cut the head off and use the threaded portion with a set fast bolt.

·
Super Moderator
8,872 Posts
This one tops the cake, taxes! I pay so much income tax I truly understand now what they meant by cash flow and why some businesses seem to be profitable and overnight bam out of business. Pisses me off that I have to pay the government taxes even before you make that money. Same amount as a used entry level Ferrari!

Better not get injured or sued because they want their cut anyway and right the phock now.

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
1,277 Posts
Try set-fast joni bolts, I use them all the time and haven't cut a joni bolt on a toilet in years. They have a T nut that won't spin in the flange and the threaded portion is removable/adjustable.

I think most of the time nutting down regular joni bolts is unnecessary but I have done it on occasion, mostly when the concrete/wood is missing directly below the joni bolt head and it's wants to fall down. It's why I save some of the extra 5/16" thin brass nuts that come with the 3 bolt tank/bowl seal kits. If you need a longer joni bolt you can shave two sides of the head of a tank bolt btw. Or cut the head off and use the threaded portion with a set fast bolt.

View attachment 128598
These closet bolts don’t seem to be available in Canada..

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
These closet bolts don’t seem to be available in Canada..
Can you order from wolverine brass? Take a trip and buy a gross, you won't regret it. I love them.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
This one tops the cake, taxes! I pay so much income tax I truly understand now what they meant by cash flow and why some businesses seem to be profitable and overnight bam out of business. Pisses me off that I have to pay the government taxes even before you make that money. Same amount as a used entry level Ferrari!

Better not get injured or sued because they want their cut anyway and right the phock now.
many people have told you.........move to the USA......your country is a giant sponge milking you for everything you have...

·
Super Moderator
8,872 Posts
many people have told you.........move to the USA......your country is a giant sponge milking you for everything you have...
We had that discussion the other day, we pay about the same. I went and found an online chart, I pay about 5% more from what I saw. I started to charge more last year to compensate.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
We had that discussion the other day, we pay about the same. I went and found an online chart, I pay about 5% more from what I saw. I started to charge more last year to compensate.
we pay less to what you pay....we have lots of deductions...I dont know your tax system in canada, but here in the USA..you ONLY pay tax on profit..so do you deduct all your costs from your business income? truck, fuel, repairs, tools, clothing, insurance and anything else you can throw into the mix??
we also dont have all the sales tax and fees you pay on everything and thats big..you claimed in the past, just the prices on amazon are almost double from what we pay in the US...

·
Super Moderator
8,872 Posts
we pay less to what you pay....we have lots of deductions...I dont know your tax system in canada, but here in the USA..you ONLY pay tax on profit..so do you deduct all your costs from your business income? truck, fuel, repairs, tools, clothing, insurance and anything else you can throw into the mix??
we also dont have all the sales tax and fees you pay on everything and thats big..you claimed in the past, just the prices on amazon are almost double from what we pay in the US...
Yep I deduct all these, the van's already deducted (can only deduct a certain percentage), As for clothes it's negligible and I don't want to test the audit when they decide to check.
And same as you taxes are deducted from profits.

Sales taxes are killer, restaurant 15% tax, buy a used car, 10-15%, sell that used car 10 times and each time it will be taxed again!

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
Yep I deduct all these, the van's already deducted (can only deduct a certain percentage), As for clothes it's negligible and I don't want to test the audit when they decide to check.
And same as you taxes are deducted from profits.

Sales taxes are killer, restaurant 15% tax, buy a used car, 10-15%, sell that used car 10 times and each time it will be taxed again!
my sales tax is 8.63% across the board and no other fees when buying stuff...

·
Registered
10,466 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,872 Posts
well then you dont have enough deductions...there are red flag deductions I dont take..like entertainment or claiming part of your house as office space, and I can push other non red flag deductions and be out of the radar of the irs...
I deduct office space, not much though. For other deductions I don't have more receipts, that's it. This year is going to be worse, I don't need new tools unless something breaks.

101 - 120 of 147 Posts