Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
Service Plumber
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all run into things on a regular basis that just really irritates us to no end. This little thing might make you mad as a hornet but it doesn't even phase the other guy.

The one thing that really sets me off is having to remove closet bolts where the lazy a$$, so called plumber that set the toilet didn't bother to cut the bolts properly but rather broke them off or used bolt cutters. Now you have to spend half an hour just to remove a closet bolt. :mad:

I have told everyone that works for me that if they were caught doing that they would be fired on the spot.

What is that really sets you off?
What is your opinion on bolt cutters to closet bolts?

·
Banned
361 Posts
I didn’t know there was a way to properly cut closet bolts......but oh well.

I hate it when I call the customer 15 minutes ahead and tell them I will be there in 15 minutes.
When I get there they have to put their dogs away or they need me to move my truck so they can get out.
Or someone just got in the shower.....

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
I didn’t know there was a way to properly cut closet bolts......but oh well..........

The proper way to cut joni bolts is not to cut them at all.

·
Registered
218 Posts
We all run into things on a regular basis that just really irritates us to no end. This little thing might make you mad as a hornet but it doesn't even phase the other guy.

The one thing that really sets me off is having to remove closet bolts where the lazy a$$, so called plumber that set the toilet didn't bother to cut the bolts properly but rather broke them off or used bolt cutters. Now you have to spend half an hour just to remove a closet bolt. :mad:

I have told everyone that works for me that if they were caught doing that they would be fired on the spot.

What is that really sets you off?
What is your opinion on bolt cutters to closet bolts?
best way around this is to take a pair of tin snips and cut the washer under the bolt. Much easier than trying to cut the bolt under the nut and as long as they didn’t use 5/16 bolts the toilet bolt holes are bigger than the nut so it will slide right over.

for me its when a sewer cleanout is in a rose bush(really any bush but the painful ones are extra annoying) or when the cleanout is 2” deep and the home owner expects you to find it right away but gives you a 10 square foot area and says its around there somewhere only for the cleanout to be on another side of the house. Then when ypu offer to extend it they dont want the “eyesore.”

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
We all run into things on a regular basis that just really irritates us to no end. ........
When the customer says "I didn't know this was going to be a big job!", especially when I've already specifically told them it will be quick/easy/small job.

The things that elicit this reaction include but are not limited to;

-Laying down a small drop cloth
-Using the slide hammer handle puller
-Cutting the basket strainer nut off with an angle grinder

Give me time I may think of a few more. The slide hammer one almost always makes them say it and that one pisses me off the most.

Story time

Even those of you against repairing faucets can understand why I would rebuild a central utility faucet when the slop sink has had a plywood cabinet built all the way around it. Would have had to spend 30 minutes disassembling the cabinet to change the faucet and then have to reassemble it again.

I happened to be 10 mins down the road so I got to this guys house fast. His toilet needed a new handle. He's the kind of guy who uses hyperbole to emphasize what he feels is an extreme opinion BUT he does it using reverse psychology. He assumes I will tell him he should replace the old toilet but he doesn't want to so he says; The handles been busted for years, we should probably just replace the whole piece of junk with a new toilet.". It's important to note that it's a very clean toilet and the ONLY issue is the handle. Instead of playing into his game and acting alarmed I calmly say I'm not sure, let me see what I have for handles, it is quite old.

The other issue with this guy is he watches the clock and will make the same back-handed comments trying to get me to go fast, which I already do.

I get my stuff together and before I leave I always ask if there's anything else they'd like me to take a look at. He mentions the kitchen faucet sprays funny and the utility faucet doesn't shut off all the way and it leaks from the handle. Again he makes some comment about how they are not a big deal because it would then go past the hour minimum and might turn into "big jobs". I tell him the kitchen faucet just needs an aerator as I am already putting one on and that the utility sink faucet would be best served being repaired instead of replaced because it is a quality cast-brass body and I explain the cabinet issue. He begrudgingly agrees to let me fix the utility faucet even though it will in his mind lead to a 1-1/2hr bill, he calms down and stops rushing me.

With 15mins left and this guy finally having stopped being an a-hole I switch into super high gear and replace both seats, stems, spout oring, aerator, and the handles on the utility faucet. He comes out when I start on the handles with the slide puller and goes "I didn't know this was going to be a big job!". Parts neatly laid out on the counter in plain view, I assure him it isn't, just corroded on handles.

I kept that job to the hour minimum, he was ecstatic when I handed him the ticket and told him it's just the hour minimum plus the parts.

What pissed me off the most, is this is like the fourth time I have worked at that house when he was home and I impressed him and he still chose to make the comments. Some people are just so used to being manipulative dicks. I know he actually thinks highly of me because he's gotten his neighbors to switch to us and ask specifically for me.

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Super Moderator
8,925 Posts
What pisses me off :

1) Those who literally use a stop watch. Or argue the time putting the tools away doesn't count or worse getting tools and parts to and from the van shouldn't count. So my paperwork says you pay for that time!

2) Those who are 10 inches away from you for the entire job and I have to push them out of the way to put my tools down.

3) Those who try to cram more work into an hour without having to pay extra. They ask if it'll go over the minimum 1hr. I say yes it'll go over. They give me the go ahead and hand them the 1.5 hour bill and they are angry for the extra 30 minutes and most time they try not to pay.

4) You tell the new Canayens the T&M rate on the phone 3-4-5-6 times and they sign the paperwork. When you give them the bill, the rate doesn't apply to them, they say to you lied or they don't understand. They argue it's flat rate, they say the job was easy so the amount is not true and they aren't going to pay the entire bill, parts are supposed to be free, service call fee was supposed to be included in the hourly rate. They don't want to pay taxes. Once the job is done they don't pay, they call another company to check the rate and argue they were cheaper and will file a lawsuit for fraud. YES they don't pay and threaten to sue and file complaints! I'm done with that FINITO!

5) Toilet flanges too low, rotted floor and they refuse you to do it right and want you to reinstall it with a guarantee.

6) They try to schedule an appointment in the evening and weekends expecting it will be cheaper than the day/week rate.

7) New Canayens wanting a free estimate for a 1hr job.

8) The majority think you will change out a tub/shower faucet without cutting the wall.

9) Add 50 more things to this list.

Now I'm angry, I need to go pat my lucky charm now. Should of never read this thread and reply.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Then there’s the ole.......” while your here “ after you’ve made the invoice !
I know what you mean.

I did a shower valve for a lady and when I was cleaning up and bringing tools out the the truck I walked back in to invoice her and she says just like you said "While your here". So we went to the basement and as we were walking I was thinking to myself was "this better be easy or cheap or just a oh come look at something" but there was a bathroom that hasnt been touch since moby dick was a minow. She was looking for a nice remodel of fixtures.

And like that.....my mood changed and I got her on the schedule couple days later.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I know what you mean.

I did a shower valve for a lady and when I was cleaning up and bringing tools out the the truck I walked back in to invoice her and she says just like you said "While your here". So we went to the basement and as we were walking I was thinking to myself was "this better be easy or cheap or just a oh come look at something" but there was a bathroom that hasnt been touch since moby dick was a minow. She was looking for a nice remodel of fixtures.

And like that.....my mood changed and I got her on the schedule couple days later.
Sounds to me like she liked your work and wanted to give you more money 👍😁 never a bad thing long as they don’t expect it right now

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
214 Posts
When the customer says something like, "It should only take you a couple of minutes," or "isn't that like a $5 part at Lowe's/Ace/HD?" Usually followed by "why so expensive?!"

Listen, you called us out to do this because you either can't do it yourself due to lack of time/equipment/know-how or you just don't want to. I get the sticker shock, especially from older folks, but don't b**** at me for the price or the time it takes when you clearly don't know what all is involved.

·
Super Moderator
8,925 Posts
When the customer says something like, "It should only take you a couple of minutes," or "isn't that like a $5 part at Lowe's/Ace/HD?" Usually followed by "why so expensive?!"

Listen, you called us out to do this because you either can't do it yourself due to lack of time/equipment/know-how or you just don't want to. I get the sticker shock, especially from older folks, but don't b**** at me for the price or the time it takes when you clearly don't know what all is involved.
That one is on my list too! Sometimes I get " well you get parts cheaper than me". Implying I should charge less than what they can buy it themselves. The parts don't magically appear in the truck, that time is remunerated.

This guy Wednesday said that comment to me to install a laundry tub/pump. That big job is going to be flat rate anyway.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts