Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And what do you do when your fixing a toilet and you walk by the WH and the T&P has a 3/4" plug in it.

You mention it to the homeowner and they say it's fine, don't touch it

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
IL ,, that is kinda out there ,,, however I would push REAL hard for a T& P , if they don't do it ,,,, I call their local inspector ,,,, SOMEONE is putting one in !!

Cal

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
And what do you do when your fixing a toilet and you walk by the WH and the T&P has a 3/4" plug in it.

Obvious answer. Any good plumber would do the same thing: educate the customer on the extreme danger and code-violations that need to be addressed immediately.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
IL ,, that is kinda out there ,,, however I would push REAL hard for a T& P , if they don't do it ,,,, I call their local inspector ,,,, SOMEONE is putting one in !!

Cal
Ditto what Cal said.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just curious on how hard you guys would push a blatant violation that the customer says not to touch.

I spose burning that bridge prolly wouldn't be a bad deal anyway.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't been calling the inspector on stuff....but maybe I should? I don't want to make enemies in the neighborhood though.
Exactly. That was the root question of my hypothetical. I know it was out there Cal:laughing:

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts

Tell them that it is wrong and could cause death due to exploding, if the temp and pressure should rise beyong it peramiters.
If they still don't, document that they didn't want it done even though you expressed the issue should be resolved asap. Then have them intitial it.

I always look around without making it look obvious, and express the concerns before we make out the final ticket. If you make out the ticket and then say something then, they will wait cuz they don't want to deal with another transaction or write another check. When I get done with the original repair, I say Mrs. Jones I noticed this and if not tended to, this could happen, do you want me to give you a up front price to repair it today, which will save you money?
It saves them $ due to the fact, if they wait till later it will cost another svc fee or worse yet damage beyond plumbing (flooring, structual ect). So it makes since to address then, not later.
They will then and could feel an urgency to have it done.
And so on:)

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
IL ,, that is kinda out there ,,,
I pretty much had this happen. I tried to be as diplomatic as possible but finally gave up. Told them I was calling the gas company to shut off the gas if he did not either let me fix it or fix it himself right there on the spot. He finally let me.)

HO threw major fit. It was a rental and the renters were pissed. At him, not me, because they heard the entire conversation. I tried twice to get him to talk to me away from the renter but he refused. So I talked! LOL He later came in to talk to my boss to get me fired. Boss told him to pay his bill and leave.

(HO had installed an old fashioned, used, 1/2" T&P backwards. In the T&P tap there was a 3/4" nipple, a 3/4 x 1/2 coupling, a 1/2" nipple, then the 1/2" T&P outlet. The T&P inlet was out in the open air. I still have it around here I think.)

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
I pretty much had this happen. I tried to be as diplomatic as possible but finally gave up. Told them I was calling the gas company to shut off the gas if he did not either let me fix it or fix it himself right there on the spot. He finally let me.)

HO threw major fit. It was a rental and the renters were pissed. At him, not me, because they heard the entire conversation. I tried twice to get him to talk to me away from the renter but he refused. So I talked! LOL He later came in to talk to my boss to get me fired. Boss told him to pay his bill and leave.

(HO had installed an old fashioned, used, 1/2" T&P backwards. In the T&P tap there was a 3/4" nipple, a 3/4 x 1/2 coupling, a 1/2" nipple, then the 1/2" T&P outlet. The T&P inlet was out in the open air. I still have it around here I think.)
WOW! That guy should get an award for a$$h01e customer of the year!

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
WOW! That guy should get an award for a$$h01e customer of the year!
A week later I quoted a guy a price to install his own ped lav in his remodel. Included opening wall and relocating the PVC tee. Quoted way too low, BTW.

I showed him the price and he went crazy. I mean, flip a switch kind of deal.

At one point he had a knife in his hand, not threatening me with it, just picked it up while yelling at me. He was between the door and me so I picked up his cordless phone, dialed 91, and asked him if he was going to put down the knife and walk to another room until I left or whether I needed to go ahead and dial the last 1.

He put it down and walked away. Shook me up good but I was professional the whole time.

It was a small town. I loved seeing him in the grocery store, etc after that. He would always try to sneak away and I would holler his name and say hi really cheerful like. Everyone knew what had happened so people would laugh at me and praise me for it. No one liked him to begin with.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
A week later I quoted a guy a price to install his own ped lav in his remodel. Included opening wall and relocating the PVC tee. Quoted way too low, BTW.

I showed him the price and he went crazy. I mean, flip a switch kind of deal.

At one point he had a knife in his hand, not threatening me with it, just picked it up while yelling at me. He was between the door and me so I picked up his cordless phone, dialed 91, and asked him if he was going to put down the knife and walk to another room until I left or whether I needed to go ahead and dial the last 1.

He put it down and walked away. Shook me up good but I was professional the whole time.

It was a small town. I loved seeing him in the grocery store, etc after that. He would always try to sneak away and I would holler his name and say hi really cheerful like. Everyone knew what had happened so people would laugh at me.
I have never forgotten that after you told em that on the phone. WOW!

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I split the thread from Pet Peeves, sorry if I confused anyone.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

Shut the heater down and explain to them the dangers of operating it with a plug in it. I might burn a bridge but at least I can sleep at night knowing I did my job instead of hearing the heater malfunctioned and blew up. I could never live with myself if that happened.

·
Plumbing and Gas SCO
1,437 Posts
I went to a home a couple months ago trying to find the source of water on a basement floor. (dog urine, nice )
While down there I noticed a rubber hose attached to the T&P valve. I followed the hose into the next room where I discoved a ball valve attached and closed. The HO explained that the T&P valve was leaking after he had opened it up to test it so he put the hose on with the valve. Then every so often he would go downstairs and drain the hose. I explained the error of his thinking and convinced him to change out the T&P valve.

Another situation that comes to mind. I went to service a furnace in an older home. The thermocouple was shot so I replaced it. Things were slow that day and seeing as he was paying me for an hour anyways I offered to do a quick inspection on the furnace. His heat exchanger has holes big enough to stick my pencil through. After trying to explain how this was a bad thing without success I got the sulpher out of the van. I had the HO watch as I put the sulpher on the burners then we went upstairs. That was all the proof he needed. Something about burning mucus membranes and watering eyes convinces people fast. It was very cold out at the time and he had no money for a replacement. So then I was faced with a dilema. Do I disable his furnace until it is repaired? Do I just shrug and walk away? There are no really easy answers for that. In the end I made the HO sign and date a CYA note for me stating that I had advised him of the hazards and had recommened a replacement. I also advised him to keep windows cracked open in his bedrooms until the furnace could be replaced.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
There are always varibles to different situations but you were right by getting something signed. If they dont want it fixed then I will not be held liable for what might happen. Alot of time a signature is the only defense.

·
Registered
843 Posts
If memory serves, the UPC requires you to repair any dangerous condition. It doesn't say that you have to get paid for it. Here, the code is so poorly enforced that they probably wouldn't even show up if you reported a plugged relief valve.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Had a boiler with a plug in the relief, mid-winter.
I shut the boiler off immediately, the homeowner objected, saying the boiler was fine.
I told him I didn't care what he did, but I wasn't gonna stay in that house with the plug in and the boiler on...no death wishes here.

He decided to have me replace the indirect that was backfeeding into the boiler once he understood I wasn't kidding about the danger.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Had a boiler with a plug in the relief, mid-winter.
I shut the boiler off immediately, the homeowner objected, saying the boiler was fine.
I told him I didn't care what he did, but I wasn't gonna stay in that house with the plug in and the boiler on...no death wishes here.

He decided to have me replace the indirect that was backfeeding into the boiler once he understood I wasn't kidding about the danger.
That is the awesomest way to handle it! Excellent!:notworthy:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts