Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Plumbing Contractor
972 Posts
Looks good from my computer desk!!! :sweatdrop: Where you taking that contraption to?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Sweet, now that's hot.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
I'll guess it's for a condesning boiler with SS or aluminum exchanger.

If you say Viessman, I'm not worthy!

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
ACK!

Customer changed his mind and went with a Rinnai. He has 2 Rinnai's already so he wanted to use a third one for space heating. UGH!

Oh well...

Here are some pics. Still got a bit to do, escutcheons, polishing pipe, etc.

In most circumstances I would have approached it a lot different but for this job, for this time, this made the most sense. Stuff like using a Taco (or whatever) zone control instead of building my own. Stuff like that.

But it is done and hanging on the wall.

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
Outstanding work. The one thing I would mention is to wrap the pipe with electrical tape where the uni strap touches it to prevent corrosion.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
ack!

Customer Changed His Mind And Went With A Rinnai. He Has 2 Rinnai's Already So He Wanted To Use A Third One For Space Heating. Ugh!

Oh Well...

Here Are Some Pics. Still Got A Bit To Do, Escutcheons, Polishing Pipe, Etc.

In Most Circumstances I Would Have Approached It A Lot Different But For This Job, For This Time, This Made The Most Sense. Stuff Like Using A Taco (or Whatever) Zone Control Instead Of Building My Own. Stuff Like That.

But It Is Done And Hanging On The Wall.

ooh Pretty!

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Outstanding work. The one thing I would mention is to wrap the pipe with electrical tape where the uni strap touches it to prevent corrosion.
Nah. That's too ugly. -grin

I couldn't find copper plated clamps locally. Aggravating to the nth degree. I asked the guys at the supply house why and they said no one ever asks for them. Then I asked what the local plumbers did when they wanted to clamp copper to uni. They said "All the guys we know just use these zinc plated ones for steel pipe and copper."

ARGH!

So what I did was line the inside of each clamp with a piece of 20 ml black tape. I even cut out the holes so the sticky part of the tape would not be exposed. OK, so my lovely wife did it for me. But at least it was done.

BTW, good catch. The HO is an engineer who has worked with metals all his life. One of the first things he did was peer closely at those clamps. He thought he had busted me one until he saw the tape. His look of surprise was priceless. He said he was going to make me take them all off and wrap the pipes with tape.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Nah. That's too ugly. -grin

I couldn't find copper plated clamps locally. Aggravating to the nth degree. I asked the guys at the supply house why and they said no one ever asks for them. Then I asked what the local plumbers did when they wanted to clamp copper to uni. They said "All the guys we know just use these zinc plated ones for steel pipe and copper."

ARGH!

So what I did was line the inside of each clamp with a piece of 20 ml black tape. I even cut out the holes so the sticky part of the tape would not be exposed. OK, so my lovely wife did it for me. But at least it was done.

BTW, good catch. The HO is an engineer who has worked with metals all his life. One of the first things he did was peer closely at those clamps. He thought he had busted me one until he saw the tape. His look of surprise was priceless. He said he was going to make me take them all off and wrap the pipes with tape.
If he does, use the yellow tape it looks much better and the width of the tape should span the width of the clamp so you don't have to wrap around and around.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If he does, use the yellow tape it looks much better and the width of the tape should span the width of the clamp so you don't have to wrap around and around.
Sorry, I did not make myself clear.

He said that before he saw that I had already put tape there he had decided he was going to make me take them all off and wrap the pipes with tape. But then he saw what I had done and he was OK with it. He liked the attention to detail.

Honestly, while I am proud of it, there are flaws in this project. The electrical box for example. I got in a hurry and didn't make it perfect like I usually like to do. Next time.

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
You did a great job wrapping the tape. I think 10 mil is minimum so 20 mil is high quality. You just joined Spider in my list of plumbing heros.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
A three dollar can of spray automotive undercoating would have saved you some time instead of taping the clamps.

We do it all the time.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You did a great job wrapping the tape. I think 10 mil is minimum so 20 mil is high quality. You just joined Spider in my list of plumbing heros.
Don't put me there. I look way too far up to see him to be put there.

But thanks for the nice words.

BTW, I only buy 20 mil tape. Same bottom line reason I only use brass where many use galvanized.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A three dollar can of spray automotive undercoating would have saved you some time instead of taping the clamps.

We do it all the time.
Hey, I didn't spend any time taping those. My wife did. LOL

Does the automotive coating stand up to the clamp being tightened and all that? Because it sure would be easier.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts