Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
self-importance. After asking why plumbers start their own business one plumbers said he loves his job as much as his family. I can go along with that.

Which of the four gives a man most of his own personal ego or self-importance?

Family?
Education?
Wealth & happiness?
Home, vehicles, toys
Job?

Which one of the two would most likely destroy a man's life where he would never recover?

Divorce?
Permanent loss of his job or trade?

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
self-importance. After asking why plumbers start their own business one plumbers said he loves his job as much as his family. I can go along with that.

Family?
Education?
Wealth & happiness?
Home, vehicles, toys
Job?

Which one of the two would most likely destroy a man's life where he would never recover?

Divorce?
That's easy.

Family

Divorce

There is no success in business which will make up for failure in the home.

Mark

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think you misunderstood the question.

That's easy.

Family

Divorce

There is no success in business which will make up for failure in the home.

Mark
I'm questioning strictly what gives you your ego or self-worth. We already know we would die for our family and I am not asking about death because the death of a family member would be the end of my half normal life as I know it. There are things in life that make us happy and proud and there are things that give us our ego. When I talk about ego I am talking about a man who sticks his chest out when he tells you he is a computer programmer and I am talking about a man who commits suicide because he lost his job.....and that is a clue.

I have a point that goes back to why we start businesses and why some people are more aggressive that others.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts

Family?
Education?
Wealth & happiness?
Home, vehicles, toys
Job?

Divorce?
1: Family

2: Permanent loss of trade. (already been through and recovered from a divorce)

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
I'm questioning strictly what gives you your ego or self-worth. We already know we would die for our family and I am not asking about death because the death of a family member would be the end of my half normal life as I know it. There are things in life that make us happy and proud and there are things that give us our ego. When I talk about ego I am talking about a man who sticks his chest out when he tells you he is a computer programmer and I am talking about a man who commits suicide because he lost his job.....and that is a clue.

I have a point that goes back to why we start businesses and why some people are more aggressive that others.
Are we basing this on ourselves, or on how we view people in general?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
1: Family

2: Permanent loss of trade. (already been through and recovered from a divorce)

Exactly! My 2nd wife (of three) threatened to leave me several times because of my business. That is a good example of an ego problem people have. When a relationship is bad you need to evaluate your self-worth, or your ego. Do you drop your business that is the dream of your life just for the purpose of making a woman happy and destroy your ego. By ego, I mean putting your head down, being depressed, and not feeling like a man because you are no longer the super bread winner you used to be.

This is a weird subject but it is important to think about because even though I admire people who do just enough to get by and I admire people who want to run super businesses, I think there is a certain amount caution that should be taken into consideration.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
My wife is just happy. She understands the long hours sometimes, and all the paper work that goes along with it. We have yet to have a problem, guess as long as her debit card works, we wont have any issues!!!!!!!!

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts

I could see where you and I may disagree on this subject. You are on wife number three and I have over 38-years invested in wife number one. I feel my business is a byproduct of my success as a husband and a father not the other way around. I take more pride in what my children have become than I do with what I have become.

I have always been aggressive in life and started my first business when I was 11-years old. As a matter of fact I started it with money I earned from my paper route. While I was still in the Union I could not do trade related side jobs so I started a chimney sweep business. As my family grew I realized it would be tough to raise 6-kids as an employee so I started my plumbing business.

It's not that I do not love my trades, it's that my drive comes from providing for my family. Now that my kids are all grown and the pendulum is swinging the other direction they do not need me as much. Now my wife and I are able to expose our grand children to things they would miss if we were not able to do things for/with them.

Mark

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Exactly! My 2nd wife (of three) threatened to leave me several times because of my business. That is a good example of an ego problem people have. When a relationship is bad you need to evaluate your self-worth, or your ego. Do you drop your business that is the dream of your life just for the purpose of making a woman happy and destroy your ego. By ego, I mean putting your head down, being depressed, and not feeling like a man because you are no longer the super bread winner you used to be.

This is a weird subject but it is important to think about because even though I admire people who do just enough to get by and I admire people who want to run super businesses, I think there is a certain amount caution that should be taken into consideration.
Just to clarify, my divorce was not a result of money, or business. I just know it was easier to get over the divorce than what I would have to do to start another profession after 17+ years.

I'm not saying the divorce was easy. I wish I could go back and do alot of things differently, but I can't. It was one of the hardest things i've gone through, and I am twice the husband now because of having my ego beaten to a pulp by my ex-wife.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Airgap I am with you part way. I know I am a better husband because I learned from my mistakes with my 1st wife. I also made sure I got the pre-nup so I don't have to start another company. Utah with 6 kids family better be first

·
40 Posts
PC - In the end it's the relationships in our lives that mean the most. When I am on my deathbed, I guarantee you my thoughts won't be about my plumbing business. I do what I do so I can provide for my family and I am good at it. My ego comes from my kids telling me I am the best Dad in the world. When a better looking man walks into the room and my beautiful wife doesn't even notice because she is engrossed with what I am saying - my ego is in tact.

Pride is what I feel when a customer thanks me for my expertise and appreciates that I have gone the extra mile.

The business could be gone tomorrow and I will be fine.

If I lost my family and my business soared - I would be devastated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts