Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 3 people ,repeat customers,that have asked to be billed this month.2 couples work for the state as teachers,and another at a state agency that I'm going to this morning for collections.The one couple won't answer their phones,I cleared a main-line from a hole popped into orange-burg,dragging my k-1500 ass deep in over grown yard to the back yard clean-out,had to dig to find the hole in 2' of sewage,and cleared it with NO guarantees as the bldg. sewer is bad all the way out.I charged 180.00,and told them I was being more than fair since they are repeat work.I'm bent,I sent a invoice on 7/02 and no response.Crap like this ruins it for good people who want credit.And in Oklahoma,all you hear is how the teachers are so under-payed and they try to get the community behind them by using the kids as leverage"we need more money for the kids".Three state agencys or employees of the state are screwing with me right now yet we are supposed to run business on the up and up,frickin double standards.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
I only had a couple that done that. One was a GC who kept giving me a sob story. I called and kept leaving messages I wanted my money. I finally threatened to turn him in to DPOR and the state corp commission as he was an LLC. He finally paid. Another was a HO who I replaced a toilet for. She would not pay so I took her to court. She still did not pay. I sat forhet it, too much bull.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear ya!I had one last year got me for 30.00,I barely recovered ;),and I think probably 7 yrs. ago was the third time.These people may pay yet, but I"m losing confidence as each day passes.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
I am mostly C.O.D., except for few commercial accounts. If for some reason someone didn't pay their bill, I would first send a certified letter asking to be paid immediately or I will take legal action. If they still don't respond, I'd put a lien on their house....:devil2:
So far I have collected every cent owed me. Threads like this remind that I need to be 100% C.O.D. to keep it that way.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Check the laws in your state but occasionally when someone really needs something done but can't pay today, I will accept a post dated check for up to 7 days. It is my understanding that in my state a consumer can't stop payment of a check without cause and not feeling like they want to pay is not cause. You can send them bills until kingdom come but a signed check gives you leverage with the DA. Almost the only people I have had problems with have been so called "contractors" which is why we don't do business with any of them anymore. My wife answers the phone and she has instructions that if anyone calls needing any type of new construction, or is a contractor of any sort, or property manager for any apartment complex, or anybody who will not pay upon completion of work or pay the service fee, she is to inform them that we are not the plumbing company for them and that we will not be able to provide them with service. Period.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Check the laws in your state but occasionally when someone really needs something done but can't pay today, I will accept a post dated check for up to 7 days. It is my understanding that in my state a consumer can't stop payment of a check without cause and not feeling like they want to pay is not cause. You can send them bills until kingdom come but a signed check gives you leverage with the DA. Almost the only people I have had problems with have been so called "contractors" which is why we don't do business with any of them anymore. My wife answers the phone and she has instructions that if anyone calls needing any type of new construction, or is a contractor of any sort, or property manager for any apartment complex, or anybody who will not pay upon completion of work or pay the service fee, she is to inform them that we are not the plumbing company for them and that we will not be able to provide them with service. Period.

I like that policy, very similar to mine!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First time residential is always cash,commercial first time I will let charge with the proper signatures on my paper-work including right to lein,usually payment within 10 working days.Repeat customers I cut a little slack if I feel good about them.
I actually received payment today for one I was concerned most about,with a hand written apology saying they had just forgotten to mail it.Okay,I feel better.I picked up a check for a first time commercial that I worked for Sat. and Monday.So,I have bein ripped off twice in 25 years that I can remember.That's not too bad,I trust my instincts, and walk away from plenty of questionable situations.:whistling2:

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
I may be completely off base with this because we don't work for homeowners, but is accepting a credit card an option for you guys?

Years ago I worked for a service shop that took them, I think they paid twelve dollars a month for processing, but I would think there would be a lot more options nowadays, with it being the age of Paypal.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
I may be completely off base with this because we don't work for homeowners, but is accepting a credit card an option for you guys?

Years ago I worked for a service shop that took them, I think they paid twelve dollars a month for processing, but I would think there would be a lot more options nowadays, with it being the age of Paypal.
I had thought about credit cards, but besides the 12.00 per month they charge you a percentage of the sale. Somewhere between 15 to 20 % depending on what card was swiped. That piss me off because the credit card companies are making interest off of the consumer, and then again from the one who accepts the card too. They get money both ways:furious:

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
I had thought about credit cards, but besides the 12.00 per month they charge you a percentage of the sale. Somewhere between 15 to 20 % depending on what card was swiped. That piss me off because the credit card companies are making interest off of the consumer, and then again from the one who accepts the card too. They get money both ways:furious:
Then how is Paypal able to offer paying people with a credit card for transactions?

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
I accept credit cards and have been a general contractor since '04 and a MP since about 4 months ago and have been beat 2 times since '04.

Once for $400 and once for $200.

·
Plumbing Contractor
972 Posts
Hmmm.... I have a heating company that Have me do there gas pipe jobs for. I did 2 jobs for them and got paid with no problems. Went to his personal house to install 4 faucets that he bought. gave him the buddy discount. he wrote a check and the way I went. Deposit into my account 2 weeks later it bounced (bad check) So I call him up tell him the situation and he said: What? let me look into it! Week goes by So I call him again. He said: Oh I had a $6000.00 check written to me that bounced so it's going down the line now. Sorry I will get in contact with you when I get it resolved. Well I tried to call for almost a whole month and no answer or return calls. Now that we are into being 2 months an still no money from him. I contacted my lawyer adn I just got to give him everything and he will handle it! (But before I did I called him and told him, he needs to pay me. Because I'm tired of Dicking with you and now you will have to deal with my lawyer. Letter will be coming to you soon! Have a Blessed Day)

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Holy Yikes Batman!!! If someone told you that it would cost you 15% - 20% to do credit transactions then the only thing they were trying to swipe is your money! Surely you meant 1.5 - 2.0?

I have been taking MC and Visa for several years. It is a definate plus. A nice convenience for the customer. I think I've read or heard somewhere that a given customer will spend on average 18% more when using plastic over any other means of payment! Wow! That means UPSALES!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts