Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was in a 6" rpz control valve I tested that failed. Neither valve would hold. So I had the city come out and turn off the water at the b-box. I popped the bonnet on the 6" #1 control valve and this is what was in the seat. This is supposed to be Chicago water, which means Lake Michigan water. The town must be blending it.

Attachments

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Most of the time I remove crushed stone or gravel from the checks. Poor practices on installation.

Guys don't keep the pipe clean in the ditch and then they don't do as the manufacturer requires and flush the line before installing the BFP.

That scale looks like it's right out of the DI main. We get that alot after a service interuption.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
90% of New Lenox does not have Lake Michigan water, at least they didn't five years ago when I repaired the PSV in the Frankfort pumphouse.

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
This is why a wye-strainer should be installed before all control valves, PRV's. RPZ's, Bfp's etc.

Sell them a wye-strainer.

·
Illinois Licensed Plumber
4,253 Posts
This is why a wye-strainer should be installed before all control valves, PRV's. RPZ's, Bfp's etc.

Sell them a wye-strainer.
If its on a fire sprinkler they do not want a wye strainer installed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts