Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now what do i do?:)

i put my notice in this last friday and no, i'm not looking for another job. i'm taking a little trip to see my dad in colorado and when i come back it's all on me baby. i can't wait to do this, i don't know why it took me so long. yeah, it's scary but i'm soooooo psyched to do this. i will be asking tons of questions i'm sure once things get rolling.

:thumbup: Rocksteady Plumbing :thumbup:

paul

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
now what do i do?:)

i put my notice in this last friday and no, i'm not looking for another job. i'm taking a little trip to see my dad in colorado and when i come back it's all on me baby. i can't wait to do this, i don't know why it took me so long. yeah, it's scary but i'm soooooo psyched to do this. i will be asking tons of questions i'm sure once things get rolling.

:thumbup: Rocksteady Plumbing :thumbup:

paul
It's only scary if you are ill prepared for the change.

Good luck - Mark

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i like to think i'm prepared. i've been thinking about this for years (seriously for about 10 months) and paying attention to all the local guys that have had problems. even so, i know i have tons to learn. i know that the plumbing end aspect is the easy part.

paul

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Paul ,
You will do fine ! Market yourself in the areas / neighborhoods you like , that are well established , that have money .

Set your price and keep to it .
Be nice, Be clean , Be happy .
Don't rip anyone off .Be fair
Smile ,, it goes a LONG way.
Be available .

BEST OF LUCK !!!

Cal

·
Banned
913 Posts
Congrats Rock Steady! Fear is natural in unchartered territory, but don't let it immobolize you.

Step 1 - Define your customer and your company's goals. This is important, you cannot be all things to all people. Three things everyone competes on "Price, quality, service." Focus on one or two as the top priority. It is impossible to have all three. Our company focuses on them in this order "Service, quality, price"

Software - check with the person who will be doing your accounting. Properly accounting from the beginning will save you thousands in unnecessary bookkeeping/accounting fees later. I like Intuit Quickbooks because it is user friendly and most accountants are familiar with it.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
quickbooks 08 is my best friend in my business.

I agree, Quickbooks is the best. Once you gett o know it, it will grow with your business.

Congrats and if you ever need any help with Quickbooks, or anything else, pm me.

Quickbooks for Dummies is a great book.

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
Rock,
As PlumbCrazy said, Service, Quality and Price are important. All three are equally important and all three can be your top priorities.

A good business that provides a great service and excellent quality can demand the price they need to be very profitable. Don't charge what the "other" guy charges or anything less. If you provide the best service available, top quality work and price you business to succeed, you will.
After all doesn't the best service and quality you provide your customer, demand a good payday?

On the other hand, many businesses have succeeded and profited greatly, screwing nearly every customer they have done business with. They advertise heavily to attract the foolish consumer and don't really care about repeat business.
I worked two weeks (too long) for a company with this approach. They've been in business for 20 years, screwing most all of their customers.

By having a positive approach, working hard, and putting yourself in the right place to achieve success, you can have, most of, what you desire.

It's not easy, but it sure is fun.

Good luck, this is a good place to meet a lot of good people and gather some advice.

·
Banned
913 Posts
Rock,
As PlumbCrazy said, Service, Quality and Price are important. All three are equally important and all three can be your top priorities.
I know of no company that has the best service and quality for the best price.

Jaguar offers the best quality and service but not the best price.

Hundai offers the best price, but not the best quality.

If you offter the best quality & service possible, you should be able to command the highest price.

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
:no::no::no:

Fear of your customer?

Fear of pricing out of the "market" ?

Fear of success!

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rock,
Don't charge what the "other" guy charges or anything less. If you provide the best service available, top quality work and price you business to succeed, you will.
After all doesn't the best service and quality you provide your customer, demand a good payday?

On the other hand, many businesses have succeeded and profited greatly, screwing nearly every customer they have done business with. They advertise heavily to attract the foolish consumer and don't really care about repeat business.
I worked two weeks (too long) for a company with this approach. They've been in business for 20 years, screwing most all of their customers.

i think by removing the constraints that have been put on me by working for a franchise i can give all my customers the best service and quality. there are companies all over this area from one man shops to franchises and i think i could charge right in the middle. not the cheapest and far from the most expensive.

as far as screwing the customers, that happens around here by a few guys but the area is so small it doesn't take long for word to get out and then your business goes down hill fast. this is not the l.a. area, there aren't enough people to screw each one for as much as possible and just wait for more to call. i will need repeat customers to succeed and my quality and service will get them. i'm very confident in those two aspects, it's the business end i'll need to learn.

thanks for all the positive juju guys (and gal :thumbup:).

paul

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
aw man, i missed it. was it a link to a site that can lower my mortgage? enlarge my pipe wrench? maybe a bogus referral service? i gotta know, i just gotta!!

paul

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
aw man, i missed it. was it a link to a site that can lower my mortgage? enlarge my pipe wrench? maybe a bogus referral service? i gotta know, i just gotta!!"

Ah don't worry the only advice you need is this, it's not the size of your pipe wrench but more the motion of your wrist that will bring success!:whistling2:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I know of no company that has the best service and quality for the best price.

Jaguar offers the best quality and service but not the best price.

Hundai offers the best price, but not the best quality.

If you offter the best quality & service possible, you should be able to command the highest price.

So very true!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts