Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Cat lady houses. Those are the worst.

A close second is the trust fund dude in his 40’s who plays video games all day and doesn’t work.

·
4th year apprentice
736 Posts
I was thinking..... cat lady houses, well that could be fun, then, oh, yeah, never mind.

We hired a new salesman a few years ago just to do estimates, seemed like a decent enough guy, don't really know his background but it wasn't much in the field, at least not as a plumber, a polo shirt and khaki kind of guy, didn't last long. One day he arrives at my job, the boss was having him tag along to get a sense of what we deal with on the job. I ask him if he minds cats or is allergic. Small apartment, dirty litter box, far from the worst I've seen, but the smell hit you when you walked in the door. Of course he's all tough and everything, not ascared of no puddy cat. He steps one foot inside the apartment and starts gagging and runs out, wouldn't go back in. We didn't see much of him after that.

·
Banned
2 Posts
It's sad to see houses that were once beautiful and well-maintained and then neglected. And okay, if the house just needs repairs. But usually, such dwellings are just unmaintained; people don't clean them, they don't put things away, and they don't clean them at all. That's what makes me sad. Naturally, as a worker, I won't give my unsolicited opinion to them. But when they ask me for advice, I recommend doing general cleaning, you can just call a cleaning company. And then there are many companies, and restore the house, where you can live in pleasure.

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
It's sad to see houses that were once beautiful and well-maintained and then neglected.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I have a few customers like that. Once you enter their home and act like you don’t mind, that is a huge advantage! They are now comfortable with you despite their insecurities about their living conditions. They also are less likely to question their bill because of the trust you’ve established.

Years ago I was sent to a main line. Guy in his late 40’s? Living alone, retired from GM. Said “it’s pretty bad down there “ (basement). About a foot deep, the entire basement! I was somehow able to find the clean out and once it opened there was a 12’ diameter of sht and tp around the floor drain. I had to take my boot and move the dam so the rest the basement could drain. Told the HO how bad it really was. He said “I’ll just put some lime down.” This was the one and only time I called code compliance to report an unhealthy living condition. This was before camera phones.
What did compliance do??Id venture to guess absolutely nothing,which is all they ever do when you call on someone

·
Registered
Plumber
47 Posts
I got called out one time by a neighborhood association, not the kind where you have to pay a fee to live in a subdivision, it was more of a non profit organization based on improving an older, lower/working class neighborhood. I got to this guy's house and he met me out by the truck, told me we had to go in the back door. You could tell right away he was a packrat, just from the yard. Back porch was a goat trail, we came around the corner and entered his house, there was a mountain of trash and junk, I'm talking rolling hills like a landfill. You couldn't get into the front half of his house because the doorway was obstructed by the mountain of junk, it was an old house with 10' ceilings and I had to duck to keep from hitting my head as I climbed the hills of trash. I knew I should run out the door but morbid curiosity kept me going. He had five gallon buckets for toilets, most were full. We came down a hill of trash and I looked down into the bathroom, he told me he needed his toilet fixed. The toilet was at the bottom of a valley, you couldn't see much because the seat of the toilet was level with the trash, but at the bottom of kind of a funnel of trash. It was overflowing with hardened crap, and if you got too close to the edge of the funnel you felt like you would start sliding down the hill and into the toilet. I told him I was leaving, and he asked me if I had time to fix the drain in the basement too. I told the neighborhood association and they had a cop come and take pictures and condemn the house. I've never seen anything like it, but it was before camera phones so I couldn't really take any pictures. That was probably the worst I've ever seen, or one of the worst.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts