Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
No pics either for this. Way back when I worked for a plumbing and a/c company, we did a lot of a/c change outs in apartments. Many were pretty bad, but one in particular just reeked of ammonia as soon as the door opened. Trash all over the place like in Nazareth's first pic. Woman apologized for the mess. So I head to the bathroom to start getting the First Co. air handler out from it's location over the tub. I pick up the bath mat that was in front of the tub so I wouldn't get it dirty. Well it was heavy and it immediately started to release the liquid, and not just drips but full flow. Cat had been peeing on the mat for awhile since the litter box sitting in the corner was full to the rim with turds and solidified piss clumps. Looked like the box hadn't been cleaned in weeks.

I quickly dropped the mat and ran to the truck to get my hand disinfected. Went back and told the lady she needed to clean up some in the area we would be working in before we continued. Nasty as heII.

·
Super Moderator
9,760 Posts
I have a few customers like that. Once you enter their home and act like you don’t mind, that is a huge advantage! They are now comfortable with you despite their insecurities about their living conditions. They also are less likely to question their bill because of the trust you’ve established.

Years ago I was sent to a main line. Guy in his late 40’s? Living alone, retired from GM. Said “it’s pretty bad down there “ (basement). About a foot deep, the entire basement! I was somehow able to find the clean out and once it opened there was a 12’ diameter of sht and tp around the floor drain. I had to take my boot and move the dam so the rest the basement could drain. Told the HO how bad it really was. He said “I’ll just put some lime down.” This was the one and only time I called code compliance to report an unhealthy living condition. This was before camera phones.

·
4th year apprentice
740 Posts
Early in my second year I was sent to a mobile home in the middle of summer that had no AC, and the plastic over most of the windows from the winter had not been taken off. Seen worse, but still pretty filthy. There were two toddlers and a baby only a few weeks old. It was a quick fix so I was in and out, couldn't have stayed long in there otherwise between the smell and the heat. Poor baby was crying the whole time. I was fresh with a new company and didn't want to make any waves, but I still regret not reporting them to the health department for at least a welfare check.

·
4th year apprentice
740 Posts
look on the bright side, you dont have to worry about working neat or getting the carpet dirty....
I've been in places where drips that I got on the floor resulted in that area being the cleanest spot in the room when I wiped them up. One mobil home had trash and clothes piled literally from floor to celing in the entire place. No furniture visible anywhere except for the couch she slept on. Narrow paths you could barely squeeze by snaked from livingroom to the bathroom and kitchen. 2 bedrooms crammed completely full to the door. You could not even get in. Most of the windows were blocked with stuff, so that you needed a flashlight to walk around in there in the middle of a sunny day. I had to tell her that she needed to clear out the bedroom so I could get to the breaker panel to shut off the water heater. When I came back she had "cleaned up", and I could still barely get to the panel.

·
Registered
Service Plumber
219 Posts
I have seen similar situations as the pictures that are posted but for me personally, I refuse to work in those type situations. The earnings from one quick job will not pay the medical bills that a situation like that could possibly incur.
Not that I think that I am too good, I just have a wife, children and grandchildren to think about and I want to be there for them.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,891 Posts
I've been in places where drips that I got on the floor resulted in that area being the cleanest spot in the room when I wiped them up. One mobil home had trash and clothes piled literally from floor to celing in the entire place. No furniture visible anywhere except for the couch she slept on. Narrow paths you could barely squeeze by snaked from livingroom to the bathroom and kitchen. 2 bedrooms crammed completely full to the door. You could not even get in. Most of the windows were blocked with stuff, so that you needed a flashlight to walk around in there in the middle of a sunny day. I had to tell her that she needed to clear out the bedroom so I could get to the breaker panel to shut off the water heater. When I came back she had "cleaned up", and I could still barely get to the panel.

Being the boss, I cannot contain myself and be polite to some of these pigs I have
run into over the years... I cant be fired, so I get a little nasty on occasion.....like the time
we went to someones house and the crap was literally piled up out of the toilet bowl about 6 inches
above the seat and the toilet paper was just dropped next to the john.......

and they expected us
to clean this toilet out and make it flush again...... :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
I told them I would be back with a special
auger to attempt this later in the day and mentioned they needed to clean the area up before
we would try to make repairs..

a few hours passsed and they called me and said it was pretty clean now and come on back
which I said back to them it still cant be that clean yet so keep on cleaning.....

we never went back and they got pissed off at me eventually.
probably because i tricked them into cleaning up their hell hole..... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
I have seen similar situations as the pictures that are posted but for me personally, I refuse to work in those type situations. The earnings from one quick job will not pay the medical bills that a situation like that could possibly incur.
Not that I think that I am too good, I just have a wife, children and grandchildren to think about and I want to be there for them.
LOL..how else are you gonna build up your immune system if it wasnt for those type of places...

·
Registered
6,841 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,022 Posts
You want dirty check out my Sheist thread below. I posted several other pics in my soaps.

·
Registered
Service Plumber
219 Posts
LOL..how else are you gonna build up your immune system if it wasnt for those type of places...
way back when I worked for a guy , he sent me to a unclog the bowl job, I got there and not only was the bowl filled to the top with $hit but one of the kids was taking a dump on top of it all..I went back to the truck and drove away to the next job, aint no way in hell I was going to dig through all that crap, and for what?..wasnt worth the $$ even if I got that now I would walk away, not enough $$ to make it worth while..

Reactions: skoronesa
1 - 20 of 30 Posts