Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never ever use wax rings with the horns, I use just plain wax without the horn, I don't trust them and it is against code to use them. How about you?

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,328 Posts
Horned ring=hack. A correctly installed flange and toilet do not need a horn. It can only cause problems, so why use it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm In Chicago NOW and pull a lot of toilets with putty!!! We do use "horned" wax rings, if you have a 4" CI Recessed collar you BETTER use one, if not you will get a blockage (or poor flushing) around 6-12 months later. the "horn" forces everything to drop straight into the Cast Iron and not catch on the lip of the flange..

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
I'm In Chicago NOW and pull a lot of toilets with putty!!! We do use "horned" wax rings, if you have a 4" CI Recessed collar you BETTER use one, if not you will get a blockage (or poor flushing) around 6-12 months later. the "horn" forces everything to drop straight into the Cast Iron and not catch on the lip of the flange..
OH NO HE DITANT:eek:

·
Registered
843 Posts
I carry and occasionally use horned rings. The only time I use them is when I need something thicker than the normal Bol-wax, and I have varying thicknesses on the trailer.

But by rule of thumb I will not use them, and if a customer tries to hand me one I hand it right back. Most of the leaking toilets I repair have the horn, and in a great many of those cases the fault can be directly traced to that horn - usually seeing that the top of the seal has no wax because it was all squeezed off and the plastic will not seal anything.

And I always set the wax on the flange, never on the china horn of the toilet. Whoever wrote those instructions was a sap. :jester:

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,328 Posts
:eek:

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
I have to use them here because alot of the older homes don't even have closet flanges on them. Just a 4 inch pipe coming out of the floor and the bolts are anchored right into the concrete floor or wood floor.
:eek:WTF:eek: You dont install a flange?:laughing:

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,328 Posts
No, you have to tell the HO they need a flange installed.

Beware of the way of the hack young jedi.

I have to use them here because alot of the older homes don't even have closet flanges on them. Just a 4 inch pipe coming out of the floor and the bolts are anchored right into the concrete floor or wood floor.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Anybody seen how the horned wax(s) seem to crush in and ALMOST turn into a square ??

I use a lot of the JUMBO straight wax rings !! Nice and thick when needed .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Anybody seen how the horned wax(s) seem to crush in and ALMOST turn into a square ??

I use a lot of the JUMBO straight wax rings !! Nice and thick when needed .

Yes, or how the top of the Wax comes off in your hand!! That is why if I do use one I put a straight #1 ring on top of it!! I also NEVER put the wax on the bowl and had a old Chicago Journeyman tell me how I was doing it wrong!! And for all of you that think I am kidding about the recessed C.I. flange I will take you some pics next time I come across one!! I worked in Oklahoma for 10+ years and NEVER used a horned ring! Believe it or not there is a purpose for them and eveything under the sun :whistling2: I'm just wondering what my Mother in Laws purpose is?? :bangin:

1 - 20 of 99 Posts