Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

Waterlogged expansion tank removal?

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  ROCKSTARPLUMBER 
#1 ·
Any tips on removing a waterlogged expansion tank? It might sound empty when you tap on it but don't be fooled. FYI - It may be obvious but please make sure they are securely supported. They are quite heavy when full. Where I work it's not uncommon for the tank to be installed hanging from the garage ceiling 10' or higher

#5 ·
Sometimes, the water inside a waterlogged expansion tank has just been sitting in there, almost stagnant. It can be rusty or even black looking. Forcing it back into the piping may cause an issue downstream. I just take them off as is. I know they are heavy, but just get yourself in a position where you are ready for the weight. I guess you could put some tech screws through it and then try to vacuum it out, but that might take a while and would also be awkward.

#15 ·
Odd....all this talk about expansion tank removal..🤔
I literally just shut off the water, unscrew the old one and flip it so the water doesnt gush out, and replace with new...not rocket science. All that gauges, valves, this, that, is over complicating what is in most instances,not all but most(in my area at least), a useless bladder tank sitting on a w/h that gets swapped out in 5 min.

And a warranty on an expansion tank that matches the water heater?? I guess a mini anode rod would be used🤣 I'll never see a 50 yr old expansion tank, but I've seen a few w/h's that old.

#16 ·
Odd....all this talk about expansion tank removal..🤔
I literally just shut off the water, unscrew the old one and flip it so the water doesnt gush out, and replace with new...not rocket science. All that gauges, valves, this, that, is over complicating what is in most instances,not all but most(in my area at least), a useless bladder tank sitting on a w/h that gets swapped out in 5 min.

And a warranty on an expansion tank that matches the water heater?? I guess a mini anode rod would be used🤣 I'll never see a 50 yr old expansion tank, but I've seen a few w/h's that old.
Whoa. An ANode rod on an expansion tank? Just nerding out over here. No sarcasm, that’sa goodone. I know it’s unrealistic.
However
How many of your customers do you tell that their new water heater might produce thermal expansion for years after the expansion tank is already dead, and they won’t know it. Anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.