Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Water softener was installed about 4 years ago. No problems until a week ago. Owner said salt level ran out completely and owner added Morton's pellets (as recommended by a sticker on the lid of the softener). Owner had previously used Morton's crystals on occasion. Shortly after replentishing the salt level, owner began having significant salt (white chunks) and black/brown debris in water lines. The salt and debris has significantly clogged any screens on faucets, washers, etc. I have bypassed the water softener temporarily, but the problem seems to continue. Even though the softener has been bypassed for a week, salt/debris continues to clog the faucet filters, etc. I am suspicious that debris and salt crystals are in the hot water tank as well. Any suggestions? Anyone run in to this in the past? I am at a loss as to what to do next. The house is on a well with a water filter before the softener.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bad news. Water softener is toast. All piping and water heater will need to be replaced. Filter is probably still good. Well will need to be replaced also. Breid...................:rockon:

spoken like a true professional plumber!

·
I Like Tater Tots
1,186 Posts
This is a common but dangerous situation. In the interest of human safety the house must be condemned for occupancy and not be inhabited until a professional is called to diagnose the problem and restore order. :yes:

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I would cut the pipes out for the softener immediately. Don't worry about shutting the water off. The automatic flow sensing valve will kick on immediately and shut the water off for you. Throw the softner away and start over.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
gotta pump the well dry, then drill to a deep aquifer on the other side on the road.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
OK. Don't bust balls about me not letting you guys play with DIY'ers.

I think this has run it's course......

The gentlemen and broads here don't want no DIY posting. We are professionals after all. We don't have time for that crap with all the other arguing we do. Please visit www.diychatroom.com there are professionals on staff that will be more than happy to help you with your catastrophic plumbing problem, or you could open up the yellow pages.

This thread has been closed and locked and will self destruct in 1.41 hours measured center to center.

Matt out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.