Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
I think they are trying to either get more money or keep quiet about overcharging

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
They are currently changing water meters here. The older meters are cheating the water company out of thousands of dollars a month. I got that straight from the guy on the meter truck changing them out,so its pretty reliable info.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
I am the President of a small water company in Utah. We recently bought a pallet of meters from a Water Municipality which was installing new meters. We got a great deal on them and so far they all seem to read correctly. We charge an annual flat-rate so we are not metering for billing but to better understand demands and prove-up on rights.

Mark

·
Chief Putty Officer
52 Posts
I think they are trying to either get more money or keep quiet about overcharging
Which would require a meter to speed up, which is impossible. Meters slow with age, and the slower the meter, the larger gain to the customer. Where I live, we change out all meters (smaller than 2") every 10 years, cheaper than trying to fix them. 2" or larger meters are rebuilt every 5, more often for the 6"-12" compound meters.
I didn't bother to watch the video, I don't see the sense metering a meter. Who's to say that the meter monitoring the meter isn't defective? The easiest way to monitor meter consumption is to high/low patterns for each property using historical data. This is pretty easy to do because meter consumption is stored in a database for billing purposes. If the readings fall outside of normal consumption patterns, then a visit may be in order.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the take on this, just one of the reasons I posted this today. "Percentages" were the main topic of discussion of how much % of loss was in these meters when they was returned.

Well, the reason for this was to test the meter and log them because when a customer would get a new meter, the bill would go up. Then they'd have to explain that back to the customer and let them know what went in their favor.

So this big process is all about accountability on how they meter that water.

I'm sure there's a percentage of loss they know is common, and from what I'm told they're real close to having all the old meters replaced in the community to the newer radio frequency type meters.

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
Water guy told me that the old ones read good when under a normal flow but do not catch the dripping faucet as well. Say the faucet drips at a rate of .5 gal an hour the older meters might read .25 gal. and cheat the water co. out of .25 of water and sewage treatment bill. Over years that adds up to alot of loss. So they ran the numbers and its cheaper to replace the meters than take the loss. I called the water co. for a customer because under high flow you could hear the meter spinning. It sounded the same in the house as it did out at the meter. very loud and obvious it was defective. So the guy came out to replace the meter and thats what he told me.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
You can usually pick up the older (brand new) non-radio transmitting meters for a song and a dance now days. Many manufacturers have an over supply of them as most municipalities are going in the direction of digital display with radio transmitting functions.

I get the old analog units for about $30. They are great for usage assessments for solar water heating. We install them on the old heater's cold side as well as a kwa electric meter to get an exact reading on consumption. Then we do the same with the solar system. People like seeing proven numbers, not promises.

I am the President of a small water company in Utah. We recently bought a pallet of meters from a Water Municipality which was installing new meters. We got a great deal on them and so far they all seem to read correctly. We charge an annual flat-rate so we are not metering for billing but to better understand demands and prove-up on rights.

Mark

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
You can usually pick up the older (brand new) non-radio transmitting meters for a song and a dance now days. Many manufacturers have an over supply of them as most municipalities are going in the direction of digital display with radio transmitting functions.

I get the old analog units for about $30. They are great for usage assessments for solar water heating. We install them on the old heater's cold side as well as a kwa electric meter to get an exact reading on consumption. Then we do the same with the solar system. People like seeing proven numbers, not promises.
We paid $10 each for brass bodied meters. A lot of them had never been in service.

Mark

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
$10 for a never used meter is damn cheap. I'd clean them out at those prices.

We paid $10 each for brass bodied meters. A lot of them had never been in service.

Mark

·
Registered
379 Posts
we were the last county in or area to get the new radio wave water meters here they call them "h20 radios" no more foot patrol reader meter man just rides by in a s10 and picks up all the radio signals,the tower control box is within a 1/4 mile of my office.

on a side note we had our gas meter changed out,the duke energy subed the work out to a utlity company all outside gas meters that were installed from 1984 to 2003 have to be replaced due to a fitting that is prone to leaking above the normac riser. no charge to the h.o. for this but after the install i recived 2 gas bills one that was a reg. monthly fee and the other one had to do with the gas meter change out i think it was like 30.00 or something like that .

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts

They have started installing those "smart" meters all over town the past 2 yrs, even on the natural gas. People complain constantly about how there bill is higher than it has ever been.:laughing:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts