Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed an A.O.Smith 52 gal elec. heater. When I powered it up, the upper element began drawing power and a few seconds later it began squealing loudly. I've never experienced this before. I called the factory rep and he explained what the problem might be. Any service techs. got the answer?

·
Illinois Licensed Plumber
4,253 Posts
My first guess would have been when you filled the tank, you did not bleed the air out of the tank, so the upper element was running dry due to the trapped air in the tank. Other than that wrong voltage to the new heater could be an issue.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
I am quite sure SongDog knows to bleed the system before powering it up. I never had this happen to me and am waiting to see what others have to say.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Shrink wrap was still stuck to the element, and was not all removed, once fired up it tries to eliminate the wrap by burning it off, this making that squealing sound.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first guess would have been when you filled the tank, you did not bleed the air out of the tank, so the upper element was running dry due to the trapped air in the tank. Other than that wrong voltage to the new heater could be an issue.
Jeez, Gimmee a little credit. Ive been doin' this for almost 30 yr.s

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
Its the Swine flu?

There's a hole in the element? Change the element.

·
Illinois Licensed Plumber
4,253 Posts
Jeez, Gimmee a little credit. Ive been doin' this for almost 30 yr.s

I did not mean any offense, I am sorry. Its the only thing I could think of as to the issue.

Maybe the factory installed the wrong elements.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
I am quite sure SongDog knows to bleed the system before powering it up. I never had this happen to me and am waiting to see what others have to say.
You mean that you should bleed the air out before turning on power???:laughing:
For all this time, I was doing it backwards.:thumbsup:

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I got nothin',,,,,,,,, never heard this before . Now I'm curious

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
You mean that you should bleed the air out before turning on power???:laughing:
For all this time, I was doing it backwards.:thumbsup:

In Christ,

Song Dog
Sorry SongDog, I was reading one of your posts earlier and meant to say Hyper Piper, but put your name instead! Oh well, engaging the fingers before the brain I guess:rolleyes:

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Sorry SongDog, I was reading one of your posts earlier and meant to say Hyper Piper, but put your name instead! Oh well, engaging the fingers before the brain I guess:rolleyes:
I will forgive ya, Ole' Buddy:thumbsup:

I'm with Herk on this. I have never heard it before but it makes since to me.

OR it could be low on anti-squeal upper element fluid.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Maybe, but if the upper element anti-squeal fluid does not meet UPC code requirements then he will have to replace the contaminated elements and the fluid too.

·
master of disaster
758 Posts
change the anti squeal fluid from 10wgt. to 50wgt. fluid, it will stop the squeal but it will take longer to heat up . works every time!

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Ok so tell us what it was.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts