Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Folks, I see this F99king shi* all the time with this piping. It's disturbing and the property owners look at it like branches on a tree, wondering if it's normal to have piping in this bad of shape.

There's no workmanship in this pipe, it's impossible without bags of supports every 5" to keep it from looking like laundry string.

Customer would not let me replace that thermal expansion tank that weights about 30 pounds hanging off those water lines.

The great thing?

I wrote in the warranty book of that new water heater, SEE PAGE 13.

On there I wrote that the property owner refused to allow me to replace the defective PRV and EXP tank in this situation at time of the water heater replacement.

I might not win any friends with doing that, but between the photo op, video, and the invoice along with the love letter on page 13...I believe I've CYA pretty well as my state does not enforce protection over 80. It did at one time but not anymore.

Once I saw this though I knew I was going to get mileage with the situation. Piss Poor Work.

And someone wants to knock me for using sharkbites? I'm not gluing none of this ****, ever. I'm not going to wait 2 hours, let alone a 24 hour cure time like the damn can says so for full cure.

I don't care if you have 40 year joints out there that you put together in 4 minutes and turned 100psi on. I'm simply not going to put my name on this garbage.

Someone on another forum mentioned the heavy metals that are in CPVC, along with how brittle this stuff gets on the hot side. Hard to find where the excuse of using this stuff because that's what everyone else is bidding at makes logical sense.

I'm not in that boat, never will be.

Some things are just the reason why plumbers are suffering right now in new construction, especially with this kind of piping that looks like a 3rd grader put it in. Pathetic.

And why are new construction plumbers out of a job right now and I'm fixing their mistakes? Here's the proof, plain and simple. Got every tom dick and harry putting this stuff in because it's too easy to buy sticks of pipe and glue away! Glue away! Plumber's get no pay! I get the final say! :laughing:

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
why sharkbites? Why is there still no support for the tank? Not bashing just curious.

Read below, and I'm not touching that defective expansion tank. Got nothing to support but one joist and that panning isn't going to support a clamp.

It's the attitude of "someone else's mess" and I get the money and run.

Same attitude as the first guy. LOL! It's effing contagious I guess. :blink:

From the looks of this garbage, my sharkbites trump the entire piping system for longevity, and they're brass!

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
on the cpvc that is

LOL! Who knows at this point.

I do know that a handyman attempted, and succeeded at replacing the water line on the hot side. No leaks!

A few weeks ago it broke loose and flooded the basement.

Redwood will chime in her shortly about a discussion him and I had about the overpressure that caused that tank to damn near explode.

Possibly hydrant flushing with the PRV holding the pressure in the home, destroyed the expansion tank and the T&P wouldn't open up.

And would you believe.....the T&P was recently replaced on that old heater before I came to replace it. Thus the reason for the drain extension at the bottom. :eek:

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Something is terribly wrong with this picture. They have high pressure and they wouldn't replace the prv so they still have high pressure? The expansion tank is going to fall and flood the basement. Sharkbites? Sorry but I wouldn't have touched that one for any amount of money unless they brought it ALL up to code. Duck you're the last one to touch it, doesn't matter what you wrote in the book or your invoice, you're still responsible for what's coming, ouch. It's one thing not to guarantee work but it's another to leave a mess like that. Next time just walk away if they don't want to fix it correctly.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I noticed that too. What the deal duck?

What Redwood and I think is there was a hydrant cleaning one day, or a fire in the neighborhood, and no one was home.

Given there is a PRV on that main line, The water pressure climbed significantly in the house to extreme pressures *like 300 pounds* and given the fact that the T&P didn't open, the tank basically started expanding big time, even through the water lines in the house since CPVC allows for that given the nature of the piping. The PRV acted like a check valve and captured the pressure and wouldn't let it return to the main line...

and possibly the heater fired and did a maintenance cycle either while the property owner was gone/at work or this all unfolded while they was asleep. Who knows.

But the pressure built to extreme pressures and the only reason it didn't explode is the flue chase tieing it all together up top in the center. Gotta remember these tanks aren't thick in steel either. So envision an alumimum can in a freezer. You get the picture.

I've come across this more than once in my day, and that's most likely the scenario that unfolded. It couldn't really be anything else since we all know that water heater didn't come with those connections at the top of the heater bent inward. It would of never been used/installed.

My beef is that water line install that I see too much in new homes where this stuff is so cheap and what do you expect when the labor is cheap, the material is cheap, the idea is to slam it in and go to the next.

And then I come in as the cleanup machine making a killing off of all of it. It's good for the bank account, but another bad shiner for the trade as a whole, and it's always going to be this way given the way we install and provide these things as the finished product and our names are stamped all over it.

Can't knock the homeowner that can easily, easily put up a better job than this.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Something is terribly wrong with this picture. They have high pressure and they wouldn't replace the prv so they still have high pressure? The expansion tank is going to fall and flood the basement. Sharkbites? Sorry but I wouldn't have touched that one for any amount of money unless they brought it ALL up to code. Duck you're the last one to touch it, doesn't matter what you wrote in the book or your invoice, you're still responsible for what's coming, ouch. It's one thing not to guarantee work but it's another to leave a mess like that. Next time just walk away if they don't want to fix it correctly.

Read my post directly above explaining to protech.

The best thing to ask is,

Where do you start when it's all junk.

I don't care if the tank falls out and the piping to; It's all documented and photographed knowing what I was dealing with.

Static line pressure at this home at night probably reaches at least 100psi. PRV is blown so if anyone can provide statistical data that it's still working as a check valve, I'd like to know.

Given the T&P is brand new, it will pop open and run if it nears 150 which is what I want it to do so I can get in there and rework all that piping, replace those two components and get that pressure down to 60 psi like where it belongs.

And I certainly do not install the expansion tank before the shutoff. It's always between the shutoff and the top of the tank.

I'll defend those sharkbites because given the **** they are connecting, sharkbites aren't going to wilt like lettuce like that entire piping system is doing.

The "two" things that are defective aren't enforced by any code......so I'm not obligated to replace them as I replaced a water heater, not two components that "should" be replaced.

It's a relaxed code....and no insurance company will beat me down on something I never touched. That's a fact. Besides...I am as reasonable as the next fellow, especially the majority of plumbers that never walk into the house with even a damn pressure gauge to know it's high water pressure. King me

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.