Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else get a bad feeling about this water heater installation?

more pics on next post

Attachments

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
OMG -

OK OK , now I need to really start the "have you seen this" section on my website,. My gosh , this reminds me of the time I saw someone stacking there gas grill on mlkcrates so they could grill from the kitchen window.....

People just don't think is what it comes down to,.

Thanks for sharing the pics

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Ok that's wild.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
PoTech, that sticker of yours on that water heater got you the replacement?

I stick stickers on everything, even the old stuff, although I do worry someday someone will think I installed the hack job and call me on it for the wrong reasons :thumbsup:

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It was a tenant/landlord situation in the middle of the night. The land lord just wanted me to drain the heater and install shut off valves so it would stop leaking on the main breaker panel. The only thing holding the heater up was the furring strips. There are no fasteners on the 2x4s anchoring them to the block wall. I have no idea how that 450lb water heater didn't fall 30 years ago. The merchant couplings on the galvo are a nice touch too.

I put the sticker on the heater that night.

I do see allot of soft flared soft copper in older homes. It actually holds up well. No solder is used and it's usually connected to galvo so it has a sacrificial anode to protect it and water speed is usually kept low due to the galvo's buildup. I think that's why it tends to last as most sweated copper doesn't last long here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts