Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got called out to look at a "FloMaster" water conditioner a little while ago. Anyone know who makes these or where they're sold? I searched for FloMaster but found nothing, I'm stumped. Need to find out warranty info.

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
Never heard of it, got a pic. or anything else, #'s etc.?? Didn't know FloMaster was even into water conditioning.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never heard of it, got a pic. or anything else, #'s etc.?? Didn't know FloMaster was even into water conditioning.
I didn't take a picture, I'll try on Monday. It does say "FloMaster", it's a cabinet style conditioner. I searched all over the net, nothing.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
flomaster may just be the name of the company that assembled or sold it. more than likely, that's not going to matter much in finding parts. a lot of these "generic" type units have either fleck 5600 or autotrol heads. did it have a digital screen or just a clock-work type head?

fleck 5600

autotrol 255/460

in this area, 90% of the rebadged units with unknown brand names use these 2 heads. both are very easy to work on and find parts for so it really doesn't matter who sold it.

paul

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty sure it looked like the picture but will go back on Monday with more info in hand. I did look up "fleck", found tons of info. Thanks again!:thumbup:

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
That's most likely a Carbon filter. 12 day clocks are standard issue in Carbon filters. Fleck 5600 is like the little engine that could....keeps going and going. They are also known as Econominder 5600 too.

Normal issues for trouble shooting is first make sure the thing has been plugged for a while and feel the back of the clock motor to see if it is warm...hot or almost hot is normal for these units. Make sure the time set gear is properly seated. We just had a time change and it can be a little tricky to get it aligned up. But that's really simple stuff to look at. Run the manual generation and make sure the the dial has similar resistance on all phases of the regen cycle. IMPORTANT, make sure the discharge (not a drain) is clear and that the drain line is good. Key for discharge installs is, as many feet that the line runs verticle, it must return back down before discharge. So if your unit is 5' off the ground and the discharge runs verticle for say...4 or 5 more feet, it must return back down that 4 or 5 feet before the trap. Basically the further the distance of the discharge line, the more true this will be. I have seen many issues from this.

Now if you have a broken roller or linkage and can easily get the parts it will be cheaper just for the fix. More often than not, if the unit is over 9 or 10 years I sell a new one, if not I will usually just replace the head as that will usually ensure worry free operation vs. piece work. Carbon (or whatever media) doesn't last forever so you need to make the call on the best solution. The rollers remind me of a valve / cam assembly on a top end Ford, kinda work the same way too...Good Luck

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
tankless, i think you might have the fleck and autotrol units mixed up a bit. the fleck 5600 (and all their other heads for that matter) uses a piston. the autotrol is the one with the camshaft-type thing on top that opens and closes tabs on the head.

for the fleck the first thing i do is just what tankless said, check the obvious. plugged in? motor is hot enought to be working but not so hot you can't touch it. you can usually hear it if it's running and if you can get your head back there, there's a clear yellowish window on the back of the motor and you can see the gears in the gearbox spinning if it's working. turn the wheel and check the regeneration stages. if there is varying resistance and it feels real tough to turn, it most likely needs new seals in the head. those are what the vertical piston runs in and they can swell up and hang up the piston. if this goes without fixing for very long, it can burn up a motor. make sure that when the wheel says it's in a particular stage, the head is doing what it's supposed to. "backwash" and "rinse", you should be getting a good healthy flow out the discharge line. "brine" you should be drawing brine from the salt tank. you can break the 3/8" comp. nut on the right side of the head that feeds the brine well and check for suction. put your finger on it and make sure it has good suction. "fill" should be refilling the brine tank. 90% of the time the problem is a brine draw issue and new seals fix it. parts diagrams are all over the 'net and parts are super easy to find. let us know what you find on monday.

oh, as far as waranty goes i don't know how that will work for you. flomaster would be the one to waranty it and it sounds like you aren't going to find them. fleck waranties it's heads but i think it's for less than 5 years.

paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts