Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd throw this one at our members.
I have on a number of occasions installed shower pans under the washing machines on a second story. This generally requires a trap primer either to the nearest lav or by use of a mech. tp. This is quite an expensive undertaking. My first option is to charge more money and I will attempt this next time. However I have heard of some different methods to achieve the same results. Such as prebuilt pans or staight drain lines I'm just not sure if the quality of install will be the same.If anyone has a better way please post.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our code does'nt require a pan or drain howeve I highly reccomend them. I just want to be able to offer it to our clients if requested and not have to worry about a mech trap primer being exposed to a ho or there kids. then that creates two hazards rather then an emergency drain for a malf. washing machine.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
I would have thought it would bee dumped into the sewer as well KTS, but personally I have not needed to install one, but I have seen many installed on the second floor and dump outside and it seems to pass.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I guess I will try to catch up with the inspector next chance I get and ask him what would be an acceptable solution other than a pan,drain and trap primer.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Our code does'nt require a pan or drain howeve I highly reccomend them. I just want to be able to offer it to our clients if requested and not have to worry about a mech trap primer being exposed to a ho or there kids. then that creates two hazards rather then an emergency drain for a malf. washing machine.
Fill the trap with vegetable oil on the trim, problem solved.

·
Registered
356 Posts
we are doing a 128 unit retirement home, and we have to put a floordrain in every suites laundry room. unbelievable...

·
Banned
383 Posts
i use sch 40 tub waste and overflows and throw a wye in the overflow riser and pipe it to the pan for the washer, if the tub is close to the washer. ive had inspectors in two states really like the idea.

·
Registered
356 Posts
that wouldn't pass code here, flood level rim on floor drain too low. if the tub drain backed up it would come out the floor.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
They have waterless trap primers. forgot the name, but saw it at a trade show. check it out, this way it would pass code if a waterless trap primer is approved by your jurisdiction.

vegy oil works great, if the inspector has already left.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
Veggie oil has a tendency to go rancid. Eww what's that stankin...
I would use mineral oil if I was using oil to seal a trap

sorry, your right, I mean't mineral oil, my bad. :yes:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Bill after you run the line out of the building ,,, use a check valve to protect against many things !

·
Registered
104 Posts
We run a 2" drain line to the exterior also, but we stub out low (like a T&P stub out - about 6" above ground), then we install a street 90 and install an end fitting strainer to act as a "rodent" guard.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts