Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Plumber
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had Harry homeowner customer do-it-yourself kind of guy the other day. The man decided that he was going to remodel his kitchen. However I got called out because the guy couldn't uninstall his kitchen faucet. Single-handle granite countertop Style Moen with the long threaded shank and a rusted nut. Customer had a brand new faucet sitting there ready to be installed. I quoted him a roundabout number of $300 to install a customer supplied faucet. Of course the guy got angry started cussing and was just all around a**. I figured I'd be courteous and offer to remove his faucet for him 4 a simple diagnostic fee. So for $130 I pulled my small channels out of my pocket every move the ball pic in about 3 minutes. The customer then very angrily wrote me a check to the point the pen went through the paper.

8 hours later I got a emergency call to go back to the same guy's house. I'll try and get install as faucet he broke the hot supply line. Is valve on his water heater didn't work and he had an old gate valve for the main. It took him about 30 minutes to get the water to his house turned off. And that amount of time the bottom of the cabinets the hardwood floors the ceiling below the kitchen and the carpet below that ceiling we're all destroyed.

Still angry like as if I were at fault. So I asked him without blinking an eye

"was it worth it"

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
238 Posts
We make sure to note that we assume no liability for any work not done directly by us, nor any materials not provided by us. It's written on every invoice.

Something you just gotta tell a customer that while you appreciate them considering your business, this relationship isn't going to work out. My main concern would be if he started telling others that you screwed him over. Word of mouth is king around here.

·
Registered
Plumber
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately cash is King here. If it had been up to me or if I had owned the company I would have simply looked at the customer and wish him good luck and good day. Having the ability to walk away from any customer or any job in a polite manner is key to a successful business. If you respect me and my job then I will go out of my way to help you. However if you belittle me and the work that I do. I have no time for you.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
So I had Harry homeowner customer do-it-yourself kind of guy the other day. The man decided that he was going to remodel his kitchen. However I got called out because the guy couldn't uninstall his kitchen faucet. Single-handle granite countertop Style Moen with the long threaded shank and a rusted nut. Customer had a brand new faucet sitting there ready to be installed. I quoted him a roundabout number of $300 to install a customer supplied faucet. Of course the guy got angry started cussing and was just all around a**. I figured I'd be courteous and offer to remove his faucet for him 4 a simple diagnostic fee. So for $130 I pulled my small channels out of my pocket every move the ball pic in about 3 minutes. The customer then very angrily wrote me a check to the point the pen went through the paper.

8 hours later I got a emergency call to go back to the same guy's house. I'll try and get install as faucet he broke the hot supply line. Is valve on his water heater didn't work and he had an old gate valve for the main. It took him about 30 minutes to get the water to his house turned off. And that amount of time the bottom of the cabinets the hardwood floors the ceiling below the kitchen and the carpet below that ceiling we're all destroyed.

Still angry like as if I were at fault. So I asked him without blinking an eye

"was it worth it"
Love it simply love it. That "was it worth it" would have made my whole dang year

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Plumber
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh it did.

What better is I use this experience and when having a conversation with a customer before ever giving pricing I will sometimes bring this story up. I use it for Price conditioning.

I don't complain about the customer I just laugh about it. It opens up customers eyes on the possibilities of having someone that's not qualified do the work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts