Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advise.. I do respect the opinions here even if I have disagreed ..Id hire about anyone here based on what can be absorbed thru the posts.
Did a MRI chiller pipe and hook up 10 mo ago. Got a call there was a leak and glycol was lost to the tune of $1800 etc. I had a gut feeling that something wasnt kosher after 10 mo because they said pipe dope broken down on a mech joint. Finally sent the kid there. No liability, no lost glycol, no puddle on floor. The leak was at the threads of the flowmeter which has an o ring similar to a filter housing. Turns out the system had a glitch recently and the temp got to 126 degrees. As far as Im concerned that is a malfunction that befits a system not operating as originally designed and the expansion contraction mitigated the tiny drip. The on site enginerr said its been slimy since day one which isnt documented and it seems they always say that when they are lying. The GC wont cover it, the ortho center wont pay and I dont want to go back again since I got another call that said its still "leaking".
How say the jury.

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
I would document all of this, and take pictures. Around here, we are on the hook for a year after construction. However, if they have been having problems since day one, and haven't notified you, I think a good case case could me made that it is now their problem because you can't correct if it you don't know about it. The temp spike is probably your out on this one:thumbup:

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
IMO, you need to go there and check things out if you have not been there yet. and do as jj said.

Reactions: stillaround

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IMO, you need to go there and check things out if you have not been there yet. and do as jj said.
we went--job 2.25 hrs away --had to wait till after 3pm and cater to all this ---he doped the threads on the flowmeter and tightened a copper union--6+ hrs donated total--Sometimes I get that feeling that Im being screwed and I want to for one these times say forget it do what you want but we're not going back. I might be too emotionally connected to sort this out perfectly. He did wait and check for drips and leaks ...glycol can be funny.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
When you say we, as you your yourself, not just the kid himself?

This is a tough call, was there any install instruction with the flow meter, reason I ask is I don't know much of them, and want to make sure there was nothing in them to indicate not to use pipe dope.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Not to bust your balls, but what were you thinking taking a job that far away? Was it bid? That's why we stay local. We will sit at home before driving to lose money.
Same GC ...did one locally. Same doctor involved. Different on site engineer. Sorry different doctor group. Same GC. It was a good job and the travel was figured in. Had delusions of being some kind of specialty MRI installer.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you say we, as you your yourself, not just the kid himself?

This is a tough call, was there any install instruction with the flow meter, reason I ask is I don't know much of them, and want to make sure there was nothing in them to indicate not to use pipe dope.
My son--he did the original job with helpers. I havent been there but have pics The flowmeter pic is on the glycol thread . It comes pre tightened and has an o ring seal. The other flowmeter didnt leak.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Care to share the pictures with us on here?

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
Could it be different expansion rates of the copper/brass connection? You guys say the gycol is very "wet" so maybe its the expansion. Whats the temp of the system and is there any vibration at all? Think the pipe dope ruined the "O" ring? Most pipe dopes are not compatible with "o" rings that I've used.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The orignal complaint made by the staff there, was that the leak was on an adapter. Inspection revealed it was at the flowmeter threads that had no dope and wasnt supposed to . Came that way pre assembled.. My son took it apart and put some in now. I called the GC feeling I could stay calm and the "leak is a very very small ooze at the flowmeter threads still.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could it be different expansion rates of the copper/brass connection? You guys say the gycol is very "wet" so maybe its the expansion. Whats the temp of the system and is there any vibration at all? Think the pipe dope ruined the "O" ring? Most pipe dopes are not compatible with "o" rings that I've used.
The system runs cold and condensation is usually the problem. I dont know exactly the temp. I dont think he would have tried doping the oring. Those larger ones once they have a problem seem to need replacing but I think he wanted to try doping the threads to get out of there in one trip.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats what a plumber from WW GAY ( large mech. outfit here in southeast) suggested but the leak was at the plastic threads, which I dont know how radically expansion affects that.

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
Thats what a plumber from WW GAY ( large mech. outfit here in southeast) suggested but the leak was at the plastic threads, which I dont know how radically expansion affects that.
I have no idea,I was jsut throwing things out there. looks like you might hafta put those boots on! I hate that for you though 2hr one way makes for a days work for somthing simple. Good luck sir:thumbsup:

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
If it's a defect in the flow control then your not at fault. Call Manufacturer and have them ship you one, tell them what is up and once they say one is on the way and ask when it will arrive, that is all you need to cover your arsie, then you have your out on this situation.

Reactions: stillaround

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can live with going back especially if I get a healthy dose of comiseration.So thanks for the input. Been taking it on the chin for a long time in this business and wonder from time to time when the ride is going to stop.

·
Super Moderator
1,849 Posts
Warranty Advice

I can live with going back especially if I get a healthy dose of comiseration.So thanks for the input. Been taking it on the chin for a long time in this business and wonder from time to time when the ride is going to stop.

WHEN YOU GET TOO OLD TO WORK AND JUST FADE AWAY !
AS A OLD SOLDER ONCE SAID :thumbup:

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
Thats why i went off in the tankless water heater thread......I'm tired of crappy products that fail and then i'm stuck looking the customer in the eye. Tankless are ok but they are not the end all be all.:blink::no:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts