Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing toilet on a tile floor, slab foundation.
Toilet flange is bent up at each side, oh about 3/16" of an inch.
Wood Sculpture Artifact Art Font
Wood Sculpture Artifact Art Font
Bat Ingredient Food Recipe Comfort food

We can not afford to replace the flange. Tearing up tile and concrete is outside of our budget.

The toilet is VERY uneven on the tile. The flange area is all dry now and it really looks "brittle".
After doing a bit of research, I have put together a plan.
Please tell me your opinions of this plan and how crazy I am...
1: Sand down existing flange with a belt sander to make it flat again.
2: Caulk the entire area between the flange and the tile. (Cleaning it all with Alcohol first)
3: install a Danco HydroSeat Flange repair on top of it. Using flexible silicone between the old flange and new repair flange.
4: Screw the new repair flange into the tile and concrete. Screw the new lange into the old; avoiding original flange bolts.
5: Set the toilet on the new repair flange; Draw a pencil line around it.
6: Place shims around the toilet so it does not move in any direction and is level. Draw pencil lines around shims to keep their place.
7: Remove toilet; trim all shims and glue them in place with silicone.
8: Place a heavy bead of silicone just inside the pencil line of the toilet outline.
9: Place a wax ring with plastic funnel onto the toilet. (This is where I am not sure to use a was ring with or without a plastic funnel...)
10: Gently install the toilet bringing it straight down on top of everything that is in place.
11: Slowly sit on toilet to seat the wax ring. Without rocking side to side.
12: Put nuts on flange bolts and alternately tighten them.
13: Smooth out extruded silicone from under toilet edges.
14: Run a new small bead of silicone all around toilet and smooth it out.
15: hook up water and test!

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you cannot afford the new flange then you definetly cannot afford the advice on this forum......
Wow, not quite the advice I was looking for. That being said. What do you think of my procedure that I outlined? will it work?
I am just an amature. Jack of all trades, master of none.
We are retired and on a limited budget. Need to do work myself; but want to do it as right as possible that I can afford.

·
Super Moderator
9,022 Posts
Wow, not quite the advice I was looking for. That being said. What do you think of my procedure that I outlined? will it work?
We are retired and on a limited budget. Need to do work myself; but want to do it as right as possible that I can afford.
This is not for DUI or DIY site. Pro's only.

·
Registered
Service Plumber
219 Posts
Before signing up on this site you were requested to read the forum rules, the main rule being "Professional Plumbers Only"! It is posted everywhere and was even sent to you at the email you provided.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am an old desparate home owner. Please forgive me for not being a pro.
When I saw "Plumbing forum", I thought I could get some help from pros.
Instead I get shamed and put aside.
Gee thanks all you really professional people.
Really nice of you all to treat someone in need so wonderfully...

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Mr. Zbolt
If you are a home owner, how desperate can you be?
Dealing with what you appear to have may or may not be a simple fix.
Do you do your own auto repair? If so, you probably know the skills, not to mention the investment in tools, required for proficiency.
Plumbing repair is quite similar.
It's a shame you haven't cultivated a relationship with a qualified plumbing professional. You still can.

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
I am an old desparate home owner. Please forgive me for not being a pro.
When I saw "Plumbing forum", I thought I could get some help from pros.
Instead I get shamed and put aside.
Gee thanks all you really professional people.
Really nice of you all to treat someone in need so wonderfully...
You say you can't afford a plumber, better sell that house asap if things have gotten that bad.

We've heard it all before. Regardless of your supposed situation, you're still not welcome here.

·
Registered
Master Plumber
382 Posts
Don’t listen to these jerks. I would just go ahead with your brilliant 15 step plan exactly how it is listed. I don’t see what could possibly go wrong? The only thing I might add would be a few more beads of silicone around the base of the toilet and double up the plastic funnel wax rings too just to be safe.

·
Super Moderator
9,022 Posts
Don’t listen to these jerks. I would just go ahead with your brilliant 15 step plan exactly how it is listed. I don’t see what could possibly go wrong? The only thing I might add would be a few more beads of silicone around the base of the toilet and double up the plastic funnel wax rings too just to be safe.
I hadn't read his plan until you mentioned it. HAHAHA (y)(y)

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Replacing toilet on a tile floor, slab foundation.
Toilet flange is bent up at each side, oh about 3/16" of an inch. View attachment 128714 View attachment 128714 View attachment 128715
We can not afford to replace the flange. Tearing up tile and concrete is outside of our budget.

The toilet is VERY uneven on the tile. The flange area is all dry now and it really looks "brittle".
After doing a bit of research, I have put together a plan.
Please tell me your opinions of this plan and how crazy I am...
1: Sand down existing flange with a belt sander to make it flat again.
2: Caulk the entire area between the flange and the tile. (Cleaning it all with Alcohol first)
3: install a Danco HydroSeat Flange repair on top of it. Using flexible silicone between the old flange and new repair flange.
4: Screw the new repair flange into the tile and concrete. Screw the new lange into the old; avoiding original flange bolts.
5: Set the toilet on the new repair flange; Draw a pencil line around it.
6: Place shims around the toilet so it does not move in any direction and is level. Draw pencil lines around shims to keep their place.
7: Remove toilet; trim all shims and glue them in place with silicone.
8: Place a heavy bead of silicone just inside the pencil line of the toilet outline.
9: Place a wax ring with plastic funnel onto the toilet. (This is where I am not sure to use a was ring with or without a plastic funnel...)
10: Gently install the toilet bringing it straight down on top of everything that is in place.
11: Slowly sit on toilet to seat the wax ring. Without rocking side to side.
12: Put nuts on flange bolts and alternately tighten them.
13: Smooth out extruded silicone from under toilet edges.
14: Run a new small bead of silicone all around toilet and smooth it out.
15: hook up water and test!
Make sure to use putty instead of silicone, it’s the superior product. We’ve debated it a “couple” times

1 - 20 of 40 Posts