Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's it. I have all the other sizes. I know they made a 24 but I have only seen one listed once on ebay and it was in australia. I do not want one of the newer ones.

I would love larger sizes but I doubt they exist.

·
Super Moderator
12,482 Posts
When I started in construction at age {18} I worked for a man in NY who installed underground gasoline storage tanks at gas stations.

All the suction and vent lines from the tanks to the gas pumps were threaded galvanized {or maybe black iron, I cannot remember}. The largest pipe size we used was 4". So we were cutting and threading pipe sizes 2" through 4". He taught me that the correct wrench for 2" pipe was 24"; the correct wrench for 3" pipe was 36" & the correct wrench for 4" pipe was 48". And he had all those size wrenches.

As a skinny 18 yr. old I was trying to keep up with the men using the 48" wrench. If any of you have ever tried to screw a whole length of 4" steel pipe into a threaded fitting, you know it is not easy to get it started...LOL. That pipe has to be lined up exactly to get the thread started and it is heavy to hold it by hand while doing that.

Anyway, I would check garage sales. You may just find an old rusty wrench that just needs the rust knocked off.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crappy lenox pipe wrenches have shown me that its all in the teeth. They have to be sharp and more inportantly hard. It's weird, the lenox pipe wrenchs had sharp teeth they must not be hard enough because they just dont grip.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's it. I have all the other sizes. I know they made a 24 but I have only seen one listed once on ebay and it was in australia. I do not want one of the newer ones.

I would love larger sizes but I doubt they exist.

Ever find the wrench? I happen to have seen a fuller pipe wrench at a pawn shop yesterday, I did'nt pay much attention to it but I am probably going back today.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ever find the wrench? I happen to have seen a fuller pipe wrench at a pawn shop yesterday, I did'nt pay much attention to it but I am probably going back today.

I have not. If you happen to find one I would love to know about it. Any fuller pipe wrenches larger than 18".

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still looking for Fuller pipe wrenches longer than 18", not the new made in china ones. The only one I saw was several years ago on ebay from an australian pawn shop. I didn't have the money at the time. It was like 20$ for the wrench and 110$ for the shipping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts