Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you accept the plastic? What system do you use? How are you charged for the use of it?

Im looking at getting into accepting VISA etc, but i'd like to get some responses to see whats the best setup. I'd really like to get a mobile unit that can make transactions from the truck.

Let's hear your response.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Been taking plastic for over a year, best move I made even though I had cold feet about the idea.

Would you give someone $20 for a $100 bill? I'd say yes.

I use Dial-Pay, all from my cell phone. You do not need a phone that slides cards or a machine, it's just another gimmick to cost you money either by the transaction slips or someone stealing it out of your truck.

The phone does it all with one call.

800-226-1007 Don't know if that's just my number or if it will send you to an operator to join.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Been taking plastic for over a year, best move I made even though I had cold feet about the idea.

I use Dial-Pay, all from my cell phone. You do not need a phone that slides cards or a machine, it's just another gimmick to cost you money either by the transaction slips or someone stealing it out of your truck.

800-226-1007 Don't know if that's just my number or if it will send you to an operator to join.
If you are paying 20% you need to shop around immediately! I think I am paying 1.75% or something like that for Visa, MC swiped transactions. If it's a non-swiped transaction it goes up to 2.38% or something like that. If it's a corporate card it's closer to 3% I think.

In answer to your question though, there is no way I would pay anyone 20% of my ticket for their processing services.

Now in answer to the op's question. Yes, this is worth doing but shop around on this. As for machines, it's been several years since I looked into it but I elected not to use any of the "portable" processing machines available at the time because it was my understanding that they were all pretty much as reliable as a cell phone. I never wanted to get caught not being able to run a card because of no signal reception as often happens with a cell phone. I actually leased to own a regular card reader that you would find at a retail store location. It's a little less conveniant than a wireless device because you will have to plug it into an active phone jack as well as a power outlet, but the system has worked well for me. In the event that I am unable for whatever reason to swipe the card on sight, then I just do it the old fashioned way. I write down their info and do it when I get back to the office. There is a slight risk in doing it that way, if the card is no good, but I have never had a problem.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
If you are paying 20% you need to shop around immediately! I think I am paying 1.75% or something like that for Visa, MC swiped transactions. If it's a non-swiped transaction it goes up to 2.38% or something like that. If it's a corporate card it's closer to 3% I think.

In answer to your question though, there is no way I would pay anyone 20% of my ticket for their processing services.

Now in answer to the op's question. Yes, this is worth doing but shop around on this. As for machines, it's been several years since I looked into it but I elected not to use any of the "portable" processing machines available at the time because it was my understanding that they were all pretty much as reliable as a cell phone. I never wanted to get caught not being able to run a card because of no signal reception as often happens with a cell phone. I actually leased to own a regular card reader that you would find at a retail store location. It's a little less conveniant than a wireless device because you will have to plug it into an active phone jack as well as a power outlet, but the system has worked well for me. In the event that I am unable for whatever reason to swipe the card on sight, then I just do it the old fashioned way. I write down their info and do it when I get back to the office. There is a slight risk in doing it that way, if the card is no good, but I have never had a problem.

That was an analogy with the $20 reference. I pay 1.99% per amount per transaction and very pleased with that charge.

Funds transfer within 3 days on the 4 major.

I run the transaction with my speaker phone on when I'm key coding the charge, so they'll know instantly if they have a bad card or not. It's happened a few times but they just flipped me another card to hit. If I cannot grab a reception off my cell, I'm doing it on their landline.

No way in hell would I chance waiting to run the charge, even though I've had to do it on rare occaision, like twice this past week. :blink:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts

Duck, what were your initial charges, I was quoted 250.00 plus 100.00 for acct. set up and 2.21% per trans:rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
I need to shop around. I've been getting charged 5% from my local bank, OUCH! I don't do a lot of CC's but when I do get one for a couple grand or so it hurts. I just looked online and found a couple different companies offering under 2%. Anyone have a nationwide company or does everyone just use the local bank? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Just finished the deal with Intuit(Quickbooks) 59.00 activation, which they waived, and 19.00 per month, waived for the first three months. Call in with your cell or from ho phone, rates per transaction are comparable and no contract. Worth looking into:thumbup:

P.S. my bank couldn't come close, deposits within 24-48 hours

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Duck, what were your initial charges, I was quoted 250.00 plus 100.00 for acct. set up and 2.21% per trans:rolleyes:

Wow.

My bank didn't charge anything to set up. If I don't do what equates to the charges per month, then they take it out. But I'm always running cards so I end up covering that and then some.

I've been told I have one of the better systems given no up front fees.

If I was you, I'd say no and demand they offer the service at no charge for the initial. They're making a good dime already.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts