Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread should get some real action :laughing:

BTW, I would like to thank Christina for teaching me to use silicone!
I am not ashamed to say I learned a great plumbing tip from a girl :).

Notice that you can quickly remove a toilet set with silicone. Yet at the same time, it is impossible for the toilet to rock! When you see my boots sliding across the tile floor that is me trying with all my strength to get the toilet to rock or break free without the bolts installed!

Now you will see the new Avalanche toilet going in with some silicone. Happy customer, no call backs :thumbup:.

Search tags: Silicone, setting a toilet with silicone, silicone caulk, caulking a toilet, watercloset installation, water closet, commode, john

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
Try using a mortar pan set on an old towel when changing toilets. Place it in front of the old toilet. Pick the toilet and place it in the pan then grab the towel and drag it out the house. The towel will let it slide without scratching the floor and the pan will keep all the water inside.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try using a mortar pan set on an old towel when changing toilets. Place it in front of the old toilet. Pick the toilet and place it in the pan then grab the towel and drag it out the house. The towel will let it slide without scratching the floor and the pan will keep all the water inside.

I just use the cardboard box that the new toilet came in.

Thanks for the tip though :thumbsup:

·
THE PLUMBN8R
465 Posts
Homer's Tips

use the dremel multi max tool to separate the silicone seal.

especially effective if the floor is linoleum tiles

to clean up your silicone seal have you tried these ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,483 Posts
I just leave the toilet in the tub and tell the customer it is his problem to get rid of it, cuz my back hurts....:laughing:

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll call you for the next one that I have to remove for drain cleaning...

You know...

That one in the basement that has erupted... :laughing:

You'll change your tune....
I'd just hit it with a torch.

·
I'm right your wrong
3,801 Posts
Just use a sponge (you guys got them fancy rubber gloves anyway) to get the water out of the bowl. I too use the box the new toliet is in, it soaks up water as well. Replace commode, clean bathroom and trail to outside door well, and get check. Then repeat process till daily revenue is met and get home to the zone.

·
Registered
987 Posts
How about using a razor-knife on those silycone joints. They work just as well as that big thing you were using PT. Also less chance of scratching the tile. As far as toilet removal, try a contractor bag. I understand the cardboard is absorbant & stuff, but ya just never know. The bag keeps "everything" contained nice and neat.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I use that Oatley stuff you pour into the toilet and it makes the water all gell up. Works super and if the moron's have put the blue cake in the toilet it keeps all that crap from dripping and staining the floor. Then I have an apprentice carry the old one out because I don't do that kind of work anymore. :laughing:

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today's top tip campers: heat your blade with your mapp gas and slice through silicone like it isn't even there ; )
Waste of time IMHO but thanks for the tip.

·
Banned
8,892 Posts
Just use a sponge (you guys got them fancy rubber gloves anyway) to get the water out of the bowl. I too use the box the new toliet is in, it soaks up water as well. Replace commode, clean bathroom and trail to outside door well, and get check. Then repeat process till daily revenue is met and get home to the zone.
I just carry around a small wet/dry vac and vacuum out the tank and the trapway.

·
Pipes & pucks
663 Posts
I'm sure this will sound like a dumb question...

Is everyone else having a huge problem with callbacks if they use siliconized latex caulk or grout to set their toilets?? Maybe it's just me, but I've always used plain old plumbers caulk or grout and don't have a huge problem with rocking toilets.

Oh, and +1 on the vacuum idea. Much quicker than a sponge.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I use my water heater pump and drain the toilet down the tub or shower. then put enough visqueen on the floor to fold up around the toilet and duct tape all round the toilet. then wheel it out.
I don't like the idea I of using the same pump on used toilet bowls and potable water systems......

·
Banned
8,892 Posts
This thread should get some real action :laughing:

BTW, I would like to thank Christina for teaching me to use silicone!
I am not ashamed to say I learned a great plumbing tip from a girl :).

Notice that you can quickly remove a toilet set with silicone. Yet at the same time, it is impossible for the toilet to rock! When you see my boots sliding across the tile floor that is me trying with all my strength to get the toilet to rock or break free without the bolts installed!

‪removing a toilet that was set with silicone‬‏ - YouTube

Now you will see the new Avalanche toilet going in with some silicone. Happy customer, no call backs :thumbup:.

‪setting toilet with silicone 863-293-4202‬‏ - YouTube

Search tags: Silicone, setting a toilet with silicone, silicone caulk, caulking a toilet, watercloset installation, water closet, commode, john
A couple of observations;

A) You need a cameraman.

B) You didn't double nut the original installation.

C) You need a 5/16" nutdriver.

D) That wallpaper is hideous.

E) You used a flexible supply on the replacement.

F) Using your tubing shear to break the bead would never fly if it was installed on a hardwood floor or a vinyl/linoleum floor.

G) Get a haircut, you filthy hippie.:laughing:

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A couple of observations;

A) You need a cameraman.

B) You didn't double nut the original installation.

C) You need a 5/16" nutdriver.

D) That wallpaper is hideous.

E) You used a flexible supply on the replacement.

F) Using your tubing shear to break the bead would never fly if it was installed on a hardwood floor or a vinyl/linoleum floor.

G) Get a haircut, you filthy hippie.:laughing:
:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts