Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after a long debate (1 1/2 yrs) I decided to splurge on one. I got the closed front XL. I just loaded it down with my tools, which I think it is gonna work out great. It is built like a tank, better than I thought it would.
It even comes with a 5 year warranty.

www.vetopropac.com

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Looks like a great investment.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Carl, That Lil' Girl is growing. She is a cuty.

I almost went open top, but glad I didn't. The only things I don't have in my new tool bag is 3 channel locks that I don't use, basket stainer wrench set, and a t-square. I pretty much got all the tools I use often in it.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Dog ,

Sweet bag !! (Uh ,,,, never thought I'd say that to another guy)
Anyway ,,, I have one of the xtra tough Ridgid bags ,,,however it's getting older , starting to smell AND there are times it's just to damn big and bulky !

Let us know how this Veto works out ,,, ie:

- is it too tight inside the bag to get tools out ?
- can you carry some of the bigger stuff we need ?
- Basically ,,, is it WORTH THE $$ ?

Thanks
Cal

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Dog ,

Sweet bag !! (Uh ,,,, never thought I'd say that to another guy)
Anyway ,,, I have one of the xtra tough Ridgid bags ,,,however it's getting older , starting to smell AND there are times it's just to damn big and bulky !

Let us know how this Veto works out ,,, ie:

- is it too tight inside the bag to get tools out ?
- can you carry some of the bigger stuff we need ?
- Basically ,,, is it WORTH THE $$ ?

Thanks
Cal
I don't own one. Have handled them. I believe it would be worth the money.

But I defer to guys who do have them.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have a Husky one. I really like it, it has a bunch of pockets and I keep all the hand tools I use regularly in there with room to spare. It was $35 but after a year and a half it's starting to show it's age with pockets starting to rip though. I have probably another nine months or so out of it. They don't make it anymore, the newer style just plain sucks.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Cal, Why I didn't go with the open top is I know exactly what I would do. Load it down with junk:yes: With the closed sides, it presents itself cleaner.
I got to use it for the 1st time today, gotta learn where all my tools are at again. It was bigger than I thought even when they gave measurements. I think I will like it. Worth the money??? Do know yet but it is the best built bag, to date, that I have seen. Shoot, I was kinda surpised by the weight of it, empty.

Carl, I am also glad that I didn't get the XXL, the XL is big. The bag I had before was a Erwin that was open top and had a hidden compartment for tools that I didn't use all the time but when needed, I had them there. Only tools I don't have in the Veto is what I mentioned above. I hardly ever used them, so no big deal there. The Erwin bag with tools, weighed 49.5 lbs on a digital scale:laughing:. that is more than a 1/3 of what I weigh:laughing:. I may say, it maybe a tad less than before, if any.
The shoulder strap is a great change when I was used to a 1 1/4 strap over my shoulder with that much weight in it. The Veto is wide and cushioned. It is such a change.

BTW Cal, It is loose enought to get tools out pretty easy and you can fit a few things a little longer than hammer in the front bottom.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
I have a Husky one. I really like it, it has a bunch of pockets and I keep all the hand tools I use regularly in there with room to spare. It was $35 but after a year and a half it's starting to show it's age with pockets starting to rip though. I have probably another nine months or so out of it. They don't make it anymore, the newer style just plain sucks.
You and me both. I got 3 good years out of mine. Went to buy a new one and like you said, it sucked. Took it back.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
I ended up buying the one from ace hardware because it went on sale for $29!!! :thumbup:

Thing is, my use is different from everybody elses;

This bag I just bought will always sit in the truck as the tool collector/organizer.

What I've been using for years is this >>>> canvas bag

This gives me enough to put all the tools I need specific to the job, including a roll of paper towels and a 400A, flapper, supply line, valve, wax ring, you name it.

Gets dirty real quick if you're working out of it everyday but the washing machine will clean it to within reason. I use them till the handle breaks and I go spend another $6 because they are always on sale. A very durable bag for the money.

But the one I bought for $29 would sucker me into carrying too many tools into the house for the task at hand and I try not to do that if at all possible.

Different strokes for different folks but I can economize with the top of them.

I bought an aluminum clad case for my torch kit, solder, brushes, everything. $13.49 from Home Cheapo and makes me look like I'm carrying in expensive equipment. People have no clue what I have till I open it and they freak out when they see how much I got inside it. I really wish I could get the fire extinguisher in there but :blink::no:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Cal, Why I didn't go with the open top is I know exactly what I would do. Load it down with junk:yes: With the closed sides, it presents itself cleaner.
I got to use it for the 1st time today, gotta learn where all my tools are at again. It was bigger than I thought even when they gave measurements. I think I will like it. Worth the money??? Do know yet but it is the best built bag, to date, that I have seen. Shoot, I was kinda surpised by the weight of it, empty.

Carl, I am also glad that I didn't get the XXL, the XL is big. The bag I had before was a Erwin that was open top and had a hidden compartment for tools that I didn't use all the time but when needed, I had them there. Only tools I don't have in the Veto is what I mentioned above. I hardly ever used them, so no big deal there. The Erwin bag with tools, weighed 49.5 lbs on a digital scale:laughing:. that is more than a 1/3 of what I weigh:laughing:. I may say, it maybe a tad less than before, if any.
The shoulder strap is a great change when I was used to a 1 1/4 strap over my shoulder with that much weight in it. The Veto is wide and cushioned. It is such a change.

BTW Cal, It is loose enought to get tools out pretty easy and you can fit a few things a little longer than hammer in the front bottom.

In Christ,

Song Dog
Thanks Dog ,,,, I'll think on it . My Rigid bag is just too big at times and starts to bang into walls and trim ---- NOT good customer relations !
Cal

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I tend to avoid toolbags with everything in them.
I tend to store my tools in kits.
I have different kits set up with different jobs in mind.
I have a bag for faucet rebuilding/replacing with every tool I would need for that.
A bucket with all the soldering stuff and a compartment box for fittings.
A bucket for PVC/ABS work
A bucket for PEX work and a compartment box for fittings.
A small bucket for toilet repairs
A small bucket for cleaning small drains
A large Bucket with a seat cover for the big drains...

I find that works for me...
I just grab the parts I will need and add them to the appropriate bucket and I'm heading in.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I tend to avoid toolbags with everything in them.
I tend to store my tools in kits.
I have different kits set up with different jobs in mind.
I have a bag for faucet rebuilding/replacing with every tool I would need for that.
A bucket with all the soldering stuff and a compartment box fpr fittings.
A bucket for PVC/ABS work
A bucket for PEX work and a compartment box tor fittings.
A small bucket for toilet repairs
A small bucket for cleaning small drains
A large Bucket with a seat cover for the big drains...

I find that works for me...
I just grab the parts I will need ans add them to the appropriate bucket and I'm heading in.
Nice concept. As soon as I would take one kit in, then I would need another and another:) It makes sence to me what you are doing:thumbsup:

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I just found that I didn't want to lug in all sorts of tools that I wasn't going to need and breaking things down into tasks worked. In some ways it meant buying more tools, but, what's wrong with having a few extra tape measures and wrenches? Usually the tools that are redundent in the kits are not expensive ones...

I'm going in first to look at the job and sell it so I usually have a good idea of all the parts I'll need...
Just add them to the bucket n go.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
I just found that I didn't want to lug in all sorts of tools that I wasn't going to need and breaking things down into tasks worked. In some ways it meant buying more tools, but, what's wrong with having a few extra tape measures and wrenches? Usually the tools that are redundent in the kits are not expensive ones...

I'm going in first to look at the job and sell it so I usually have a good idea of all the parts I'll need...
Just add them to the bucket n go.
While I certainly recognize your philosophy as a valid one, it is not congruent with some of my own philosophies.

I take pride in a perfectly arranged tool box. Every pliers and wrench even faces the same way. Customers do notice.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts